November Sparklers 2014....22 boys, 22 girls born! Please update us!

We don't have any type of risk assessment either. My boss makes some common sense changes, we have already discussed that if we get referrals alleging meth production I won't be the one to get them- although it is always possible to accidentally walk into an active lab unfortunately.

Other than that, I will be taking my normal workload until I go on maternity leave. I likely won't get any new assignments the last couple weeks (unless they are emergencies) so I can close out as many of my investigations as possible so my coworkers don't have to take them when I leave.

I will be taking my whole 12 weeks off. I have plenty of leave and sick saved up so I will be getting paid the whole 12 weeks. Unfortunately the US sucks when it comes to maternity benefits. :(

With DD, I was only able to take 8 weeks. It was tough but it was doable. Luckily we had a great home daycare close by and I felt very comfortable with them caring for DD while we worked.
This time (same employer, I've just been there longer), I'm taking my full 12 weeks, but modified - our current daycare doesn't take babies until 6 months, so starting at 6 weeks I'll be working from home part-time until baby is 6 months. DH works from home, so between the two of us we'll get to spend 6 months home with baby, and I love that. I'm really grateful that we've got that opportunity and flexibility.

Gender reveal thoughts/opinions:
With DD, we had our sono at 20 weeks, and had the tech write the gender on a piece of paper in a sealed envelope. We gave it to a friend, and the next day we had a big party for DH's birthday/St. Patrick's Day, and for dessert we had cupcakes our friend made - with pink filling for a girl!

This time, 20 weeks is on July 2nd. So the way I see it, we have 2 options:

1) Pay for a private scan at 17 weeks (just before Father's Day), and suprise DH with a gender reveal "party" (family only) on Father's Day. I'm thinking his Father's Day present can be the gender (pink or blue onesie, or something) - I'd just need my mom or a friend to put it together for us so I don't know gender either.

2) Do a big family gender reveal over 4th of July (US independence day, lots of fireworks) and have a friend get either blue or pink fireworks/sparklers.

What do you think?
I don't want to ask DH his opinion b/c if we do Father's Day I'd love to have it be a surprise for him completely. I also don't know yet what our 4th of July plans are, where we'll be, who we'll be with (his family or mine) - though I can almost guarantee we'll be with my family on Father's Day, his on 4th of July.
Plus there's the cost (about $100 for a private scan) - although I'd get to find out 3 weeks sooner.

ARGH! Decisions are hard when you're pregnant!

I couldn't imagine going to work 6 or even 13 weeks after baby is born. I'm glad Here we get a full year off for maternity leave. Although the pay is about 60-70% of your normal wages. Which if you don't make much, isn't that great.

I couldn't imagine going to work 6 or even 13 weeks after baby is born. I'm glad Here we get a full year off for maternity leave. Although the pay is about 60-70% of your normal wages. Which if you don't make much, isn't that great.

That sounds amazing! The US has such a "fend for yourself" mentality when in comes to benefits, healthcare, time off, labor....

Both parties sound awesome, MarieMo. What fun ideas! I really don't think you could go wrong either way. :flower:

Marie mo I love the idea of the 4th of July party...the sparklers sound fun.

We are so lucky here with maternity. Last time I took the full year...yes you get less and less pay and so not everyone can afford it, but we are so lucky to have the option.

That sounds amazing! The US has such a "fend for yourself" mentality when in comes to benefits, healthcare, time off, labor....

Are you guys able to apply for child tax benefits at all ? Here we get the child tax benefit as well as baby bonuses every month.

Both of those gender parties sound so fun! Ours is next sat...can't wait!!!!

My husband doesn't like surprises.. He said if we had a gender reveal and it was a girl he might cry! Lol! So I think we are just going to find out at the doctor.

Well... I said I wouldn't, but I caved. Made an impulse Doppler purchase off ebay. Bought the Sonoline B.

I am utterly scared i cant find HB but dont forget i had a poochy stomach but on tuesday i have a dr appt....reason i think i cant find is because since im poochy and i have the angelsounds doppler i cant really push in much as if u compare it to a sonoline b that with the stick you can push anywhere down without the whole machine pushing in. Reassurance for sure on tuesday.

I've got the angel sounds and sometimes I find it hard to find hb it depends where the baby is hiding. You can't push it in as deep for sure.

I am utterly scared i cant find HB but dont forget i had a poochy stomach but on tuesday i have a dr appt....reason i think i cant find is because since im poochy and i have the angelsounds doppler i cant really push in much as if u compare it to a sonoline b that with the stick you can push anywhere down without the whole machine pushing in. Reassurance for sure on tuesday.

i couldnt find hb for 5 days but could hear movement it seemed like baby had moved into area i have thicker stomach fat.

I cant believe im coming to final days of my LAST EVER 1st tri!
Its mixes emotions, i am glad i never have to worry about that intense sickness period again but knowing ill never go through the enjoyment 1st tri can give is sad.

Its mixes emotions, i am glad i never have to worry about that intense sickness period again but knowing ill never go through the enjoyment 1st tri can give is sad.

So I'm guessing this is your last ever baby? How exciting but sad at the same time!!

After reading this thread last night, I have also bought a doppler.. the sonoline b. Should arrive this week. Im hoping it helps with reassurance. I also have a dr appt on Wednesday, so will hopefully hear heartbeat then too.

So I'm guessing this is your last ever baby? How exciting but sad at the same time!!

Yes my last ever, ever haha. Hoping hubby agrees to the snip next year ive had my fair share of ups/downs off pills, implant and depo.
Deffo going feel sad when it comes to labour day, im hoping at same time ill finally feel like ive completed our family once he/she arrives :)

Gender reveal thoughts/opinions:
With DD, we had our sono at 20 weeks, and had the tech write the gender on a piece of paper in a sealed envelope. We gave it to a friend, and the next day we had a big party for DH's birthday/St. Patrick's Day, and for dessert we had cupcakes our friend made - with pink filling for a girl!

This time, 20 weeks is on July 2nd. So the way I see it, we have 2 options:

1) Pay for a private scan at 17 weeks (just before Father's Day), and suprise DH with a gender reveal "party" (family only) on Father's Day. I'm thinking his Father's Day present can be the gender (pink or blue onesie, or something) - I'd just need my mom or a friend to put it together for us so I don't know gender either.

2) Do a big family gender reveal over 4th of July (US independence day, lots of fireworks) and have a friend get either blue or pink fireworks/sparklers.

What do you think?
I don't want to ask DH his opinion b/c if we do Father's Day I'd love to have it be a surprise for him completely. I also don't know yet what our 4th of July plans are, where we'll be, who we'll be with (his family or mine) - though I can almost guarantee we'll be with my family on Father's Day, his on 4th of July.
Plus there's the cost (about $100 for a private scan) - although I'd get to find out 3 weeks sooner.

ARGH! Decisions are hard when you're pregnant!

I also think both sound great! Who would you prefer to do the reveal with, if it's different families/people?

Sounds like you and your DH are doing some good communication trying to figure out what works best for your family, which is awesome. I can't help much with relating to the job situation since I have a desk job (which does have its own stresses and long hours, but certainly never any real danger!), but I wish you luck in figuring everything out. :flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->