NTNP Chat Thread

:flower:
I haven't posted in here for ages:blush: we moved house then didn't have internet for a while but back now:thumbup:

Any bfps?

Its so hot here atm, we all got burned over the weekend :dohh: Is it still hot in the uk to the ladies there?

Welcome back Mummy3! Glad you got internet again - hope the move went smoothly. We're freezing here in Cape Town (SA) - been raining on the weekend but it seems to be lifting now, but the temp is still really cold :cold: - although being winter here that kind of makes sense :dohh:

The move went ok, trying to get used to where everything is and get the kids settled. There was an incident with a black widow spider:shock:

Its winter in SA? Thats hard to imagine, its sooooo hot here in southern california:wacko: I want rain too!

freezing cold, dark and rainy here all day. Rubbish.

Marshmallow upcakes are from the Hummingbird Bakery cookbook, simply put they are the most delicious vanilla sponge cupcakes, hollowed out and filled with melted marshmallows then topped with a wonderfully light and moussey vanilla buttecream with mini marshmallows mixed in to it! YUM!

OH hasn't got home with my missing ingredients yet so still waiting, making cajun pork steaks in the meantime though!

Hope everyone is having a nice evening

Laura
xxx

They sound so good! Im going to try and make them after we do our shop on thursday:thumbup:

Made brownies with vanilla frosting with the kids earlier though and they will do in the meantime:haha:

sounds like there's going to be afew testing on fri, good luck to carreg and hopefulforabfp. My af is due on mon 16th but I think I'll cave in and poas on fri too, just can't resist the irony of the chance of a bfp on fri 13th! My brother was born on a fri 13th so my mum says it's a lucky day so fx'd it works for us!

:hugs: to carreg, sorry your oh is being such a pain, maybe he's a bit spooked by the idea that it might have actually happened this month? I hope everything goes ok for you x

carreg and mummy3, marshmallow cupcakes and brownies with vanilla frosting....YUMMY! I can't really do any proper cooking right now as I'm meant to be packing up the kitchen, not getting stuff out!

24/7, my sisater's a coeliac, can't member if she breastfed or not but i'll try and find out for you (subtly as she doesn't know we're trying or that i'm on baby forums!). My nephew went through a stage where he couldn't have gluten but then seemed to just grow out of it again about 8 months later. Not sure that's very useful to you but thought you might like to know someone elses experience!

Come on weekend, I want to POAS :dust:

Wow, i just noticed this thread was only started on 12 July - not quite a month yet (tomorrow = 1 month) and we've already filled 103 pages!

Thank you MrsWifey, you ladies are fantastic!! xxx

Recipe as requested ladies:
* 120g plain flour
* 140g caster sugar
* 1½ tsp baking powder
* a pinch of salt
* 45g butter, at room temperature
* 120ml whole milk
* 1 egg
* ¼ tsp vanilla extract
* 12 normal sized pink marshmallows
* 200g mini marshmallows (I used normal mini ones not the really teeny tiny micro mini ones you get in the home baking section at supermarkets)

For the frosting:
* 250g icing sugar, sifted
* 80g butter, at room temperature
* 25ml whole milk
* a couple of drops of vanilla extract
* Edible glitter, to decorate
* A 12-hole cupcake tray, lined with paper cases (if you use Muffin cases for your cupcakes, like I do, then you will get a yield of about 9 or 10 cakes, if you use standard sized cupcake liners you will get 12-14)

Method (to make cupcakes)

1. Preheat the oven to 170°C (325°F) gas 3.
2. Put the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and butter in a freestanding electric mixer with a paddle attachment (or use a handheld electric whisk) and beat on slow speed until you get a sandy consistency and everything is combined. Gradually pour in half the milk and beat until the milk is just incorporated.
3. Whisk the egg, vanilla extract and remaining milk together in a separate bowl for a few seconds, then pour into the flour mixture and continue beating until just incorporated (scrape any unmixed ingredients from the side of the bowl with a rubber spatula). Continue mixing for a couple more minutes until the mixture is smooth. Do not overmix.
4. Spoon the mixture into the paper cases until two-thirds full and bake in the preheated oven for 20–25 minutes, or until light golden and the sponge bounces back when touched. A skewer inserted in the centre should come out clean.
5. Leave the cupcakes to cool slightly in the tray before turning out onto a wire cooling rack to cool completely.
6. Put the medium marshmallows in a heatproof bowl over a pan of simmering water. Leave until melted and smooth.
7. When the cupcakes are cold, hollow out a small section in the centre of each one (I find the Cone method works best) and fill with a dollop of melted marshmallow. Leave to cool. Make buttercream (see below)
8. Stir the mini marshmallows into the vanilla frosting by hand until evenly dispersed.
9. Spoon the frosting on top of the cupcakes and decorate with edible glitter.

Method (to make vanilla buttercream)
1. Beat the icing sugar and butter together in a freestanding electric mixer with a paddle attachment (or use a handheld electric whisk) on medium-slow speed until the mixture comes together and is well mixed.
2. Turn the mixer down to slow speed. Combine the milk and vanilla extract in a separate bowl, then add to the butter mixture a couple of tablespoons at a time. Once all the milk has been incorporated, turn the mixer up to high speed.
3. Continue beating until the frosting is light and fluffy, at least 5 minutes. The longer the frosting is beaten, the fluffier and lighter it becomes. (honestly, beat it on high for at LEAST 6 minutes, it goes like mousse then and it wonderful and easy to work with)

Note: the melted marshmallows are a BIG mess to work with, keep your fingers wet so it doesn't stick to you when you are persuading it off the spoon into the cupcakes!

MrsWifey - the OH got spooked BEFORE there was a chance this month....he refused to touch me until I was post Ov and only then with pull out method (though what I didn't tell him was that what he though was 2DPO was actually either 2DPO, 1 DPO or Ov day as my chart was unclear) *shrugs* I am not mentioning it and generally giving him free rein to do whatever the hell he likes at the moment but it doesn't seem to be good enough but we'll see.

Enjoy thr baking girls :)

Laura
xxx

Thanks Laura - must have taken an age to type out! Gonna print it now and maybe try them on the weekend!

Here are some pics of the finished result if anyone is interested (didn't get any of the filled centres as we didn't eat any last night, sorry!) - click to enlarge :)

marshmallowcupcakes1.jpg

marshmallowcupcakes2.jpg

xxx

morning,love the recipe,just had to print it off,my oh loves mellows,so he's gonna love them,thanks for posting.:thumbup:

They look divine Laura! - I circulated the recipe to all the ladies at work :D

good call Huggles! They are definitely very girly looking cakes, especially with the pink gooey middle! Am considering trying them with white marshmallow centres, dark chocolate buttercream, only white mini marshmallows in the buttercream and dark & white chocolate sprinkles next time for a more 'manly' look!! :lol:

Day one Research Report

Ok, here's what i've found out regarding coeliac and breastfedding so far:

Some useful links
https://www.laleche.org.uk/
https://www.coeliac.org.uk/
https://www.celiac.com/

La Leche League is a well know breastfeeding organization - maybe if you contact them they can get you in touch with other coeliac sufferers who have breastfed.

https://www.csaceliacs.org/library/breastfeeding.php

Interesting article

Interesting case study findings
Children formula-fed from birth, or breast-fed for less than 30 days, were found to have a relative risk of developing symptoms of celiac disease four times higher than children breast-fed for more than 30 days. Auricchio S et al. "Does breast feeding protect against the development of clinical symptoms of celiac disease in children?" J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr
1983;2(3):428-33.

In this case-control study, 143 children with celiac disease and 137 randomly recruited gender- and age-matched control children were administered a standardized questionnaire. The risk of developing celiac disease decreased significantly by 63% for children breast-fed for more than 2 months (OR 0.37) as compared with children breast-fed for 2 months or less. The age at first gluten introduction had no significant influence on the incidence of celiac disease (OR 0.72 comparing first gluten introduction into infant diet >3 months vs. less than or equal to3 months). Conclusion: A significant protective effect on the incidence of celiac disease was suggested by the duration of breast-feeding (partial breastfeeding as well as exclusive breastfeeding).
The data did not support an influence of the age at first dietary gluten exposure on the incidence of celiac disease. However, the age at first gluten exposure appeared to affect the age at onset of symptoms. Peters U et al. “A case-control study of the effect of infant feeding on celiac disease.” Annals-Of-Nutrition-And-Metabolism. Jul-Aug 2001; 45 (4) : 135-142.

My conclusions so far
My conclusions so far based on what i've read - it would actually be better for you to breastfeed, even though you don't have any gluten in your diet. It seems the main reason they all keep saying the breastfeeding helps reduce the risks of your child developing CD is because it helps to boost the baby's immune system better than formula milk does. It is also much gentler on their digestive systems, giving their digestive systems time to develop better. There are also numerous articles where it is suggested that the mother eats a gluten free diet if breastfeeding (when the child is displaying intestinal discomforts) so i don't think it's bad for a baby not to get the gluten through the breastmilk.

It also seems there is a much higher chance of the baby developing CD when formula-fed from birth so by not breastfeeding because you're scared that it will adversly affect the baby because you don't eat gluten you are automatically going to raise their chances of getting CD by giving them formula.

oh my those cupcakes do look delisious... I will copy it down but first have to convert it lol might try the recipe at work (i do all the cooking and baking there)

I can't wait for friday either I'm hoping to have a lucky fri the 13 too lol

well hope everyone has a good night

There are also numerous articles where it is suggested that the mother eats a gluten free diet if breastfeeding (when the child is displaying intestinal discomforts) so i don't think it's bad for a baby not to get the gluten through the breastmilk.

Thanks for this Huggles! My little one is showing tummy trouble and I wondered if my high bread diet is to blame. Is their gluten in bran blakes? Only I have been eating these every day to help avoid the 'glass poop' which comes with the BF. I'm wondering if I shoud switch to that sugary liquid the for gives for constapation troubles and switch from it all for a while?

hopeful4bfp - I know what you mean about converting, I always seem to find that every recipe I want to use is in american!! Luckily I have a conversion chart pinned to my fridge now (after months of wading through books everytime I wanted a conversion) and have most of the implements to measure the american way as well as the english...it is a pain though!!

xxx

There are also numerous articles where it is suggested that the mother eats a gluten free diet if breastfeeding (when the child is displaying intestinal discomforts) so i don't think it's bad for a baby not to get the gluten through the breastmilk.

Thanks for this Huggles! My little one is showing tummy trouble and I wondered if my high bread diet is to blame. Is their gluten in bran blakes? Only I have been eating these every day to help avoid the 'glass poop' which comes with the BF. I'm wondering if I shoud switch to that sugary liquid the for gives for constapation troubles and switch from it all for a while?

I have no idea if there is gluten in bran flakes - perhaps check the box, otherwise i'm sure 24/7 knows.

Regarding the constipation - maybe try prunes rather for a bit - about 3-4 a day might help.

Yes, bran flakes are made from wheat, so very bad!!! :(
Thank you for all your help huggles, it really does seem like breast feeding would be the best thing for me to do, and if I can do anything to prevent them being poorly like I am, I wouldn't hesitate to do it!! xxxx

Friday 13th seems to be the big day around here:thumbup:

Im testing next week, but its my youngest daughters first birthday on friday 13th:cloud9::happydance:

I'm going to make those cupcakes for her and get balloons! Very exciting:happydance:

Mmm, those cupcakes look so tasty, and quite messy too which I think is an added bonus when having naughty things like cake!:munch:

Looks very food orientated on here today either you do eat gluten and are making laura's cakes or you don't eat gluten and are researching the affects of breastfeeding! Loving the contrast from one to the other! :muaha:

OH has just come home with fish and chips, yum yum x

Mmm, those cupcakes look so tasty, and quite messy too which I think is an added bonus when having naughty things like cake!:munch:

Looks very food orientated on here today either you do eat gluten and are making laura's cakes or you don't eat gluten and are researching the affects of breastfeeding! Loving the contrast from one to the other! :muaha:

OH has just come home with fish and chips, yum yum x

thats mean! I want fish and chips! Me and my mum are planning to go to a Micheal Jackson tribute act at the pub at the end of the month. I cant wait, be nice mother daughter time

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->