October babies due dates and bump colours

Interesting discussion on schools ladies! I am really interested in education and wish our country would do better with public schooling as a whole. I went to both private and public school and had a GREAT experience in public school. But I know I was lucky for living in a good school district and having good teachers (with only the occasional bad teacher). Right now we are living in an amazing school district... moving away just in time for baby! :haha: Oh well, I guess it will be a while before he starts school. I plan to send him to regular public school as long as the district is good, if not, we will try to find a better school district or private option.

I'm not up for homeschooling myself. I do think a lot of people have an idea that homeschoolers are crazy radicals or anti-social, which is not true! I have a colleague who homeschooled his daughter and they were part of a homeschooling group with a lot of social activities, etc. It sounded like a great experience. On the other side of things, in high school I tutored a girl who was homeschooled for about 1 hour per week, and it soon became obvious to me that that 1 hour was the only math she was doing all week! She was horribly behind for her age. Very sad. So there's both sides of the spectrum in homeschooling and in the public schools. MA and MrsK, I have no doubt you will put in the effort to make a great homeschooling experience for your kids.

MrsK, one of my coworkers is Italian, her husband is German, and they are living here in the US. Oh, and their nanny only speaks Spanish. Their oldest boy (2 1/2) understands all 4 languages!! Children's brains are really amazing. I always loved the languages we learned in school but never had enough, early enough, to become fluent. I still plan to learn Spanish someday, maybe I will have time when I retire and the kids move out. :haha:

Thanks ZB!

Your right. There's differences in homeschooling just as there are in school systems. I think there are some who use it to sleep all day and call it a learning experience. I actually have someone comparing ALL homeschoolers with their local group. I'm not even sure who that group is associated with but they do NOT make up majority of the homeschoolers int he nation. :rofl: There are plenty of examples of excellent homeschooling families. Honestly it's all in the way your child learns and how much interaction the parent puts in. Each child as we all know will have a different learning curve. While structured A Beka books work for some, other's learn better classically and so on.

This has been something we've had the opportunity to see first hand since our nieces and nephews have been homeschooled. It's enabled us over the past 10 years we've been ttc to research and know what we'd like for our children. We have awhile before we get to that with Amelia (though I will sneak in some learning opportunities early on).

Like you said though, not everyone is meant to homeschool, just like not everyone has to be a SAHM to be a good mother. It's all in preference and what we feel will work for our children and families. The good thing is that for each family, there's a great flexibility to be unique and different than other families in making decisions with (hopefully) a similar outcome for success. :winkwink:

I am burnt to a crisp ladies! I spent the day outside at a medieval festival. DD loved it though so it was worth it. The jousting way awesome but one of the guys was the North American champion, whereas the other guy was newer to the sport. Needless to say he was getting knocked off the horse and the paramedics had to check on him a few time. Trooper that he was he kept getting up though.

I'm off to the stores in a few to go and buy two booster high chairs that are on sale for $29. Woohoo. I hadn't mean't to buy them until the babies were a few months old but it's such a great sale, at 50% off and I love the pattern. Now if I could just sell my old high chairs I'd be golden. I love a good sale. I'm so opposite to my sister, she seems to be spending money like it grows on trees when it comes to baby.

Littlestars, got to love a good bargain! :thumbup: today we went to the monsoon half off sale (monsoon is a lovely pricier high-street shop so a baby's dress starts around £30 [$48] so for baby clothes it's a bit indulgent for something they grow out of after 3 months)

We got 3 outfits for £30!! :dance: and then we found some wedding vouchers we still had for M&S (ditto above - slightly less pricey but still quite expensive compared to other shops) and got £75 worth of clothes but used our vouchers so we only spent £25 and got a couple of dresses, some jeans, a lovely warm blanket and bibs etc. :thumbup: we'd never have spent £75 otherwise on those few items because it's silly to waste so much on the early size clothes imo :shrug:

oh and my mum today showed me the cardi she's knitted me in tiny baby (premature) size, it's really lovely and we're hoping we won't need it but just in case, we wanted to be prepared, and most importantly to have something for LO that is hers if she has to stay in hospital. She's doing a matching bonnet, mittens, tights too. And mum said she's happy if we donate them to the neonatal unit if we don't need them which is really lovely :) so she's done them in baby green so it's neutral because hopefully we dont need them, she's also doing a little knitted dress and a few more bonnets and cardis all in tiny size - she's so thoughtful x

Nice sales Nai!! I miss Marks&Sparks :( We used to have it here and then it folded about 15 years ago. Sooooooo sad. Last time I went to one in the UK was when I was about 24 so it's been *calculating* 11 years! Boo! That's really thoughtfull of your mom to knit so many various sizes and items. I remember with DD my SIL's mother would crochet hats and purses for DD and they were awesome!

So I had to pop on and share my find for today. Go the two booster seats for $29 (saved $40) and also picked up a swing for babies, the one I wanted even which is a travel one (it's small, folds up when not in use and is portable, and just realized it's energy efficient, bonus!) was regularly $99 which was already a good price, but I got it for $75! Yay! Tempting to get a second but seemed rather silly since they can only use then for a few months.

Okay.. I gotta hit the hay.. I am pooped!

What a deal!

We had a lovely day today. We went looking for minivans, went out to dinner (italian) and for the first time Amelia kicked hard and Doug was able to feel her. It was AMAZING!

We also bought the area rug for Amelia's room. It's a cream color. It's all starting to become real to me. Two more weeks and her crib and dresser arrive. Then we're working on a rocker of some sort.

Next friday we have a sonogram. Haven't seen her in 5 wks since our last one and this will be special!

Hoping everyone is having a lovely weekend! :hug:

Awww nai thats so nice & thoughtful of your mum & yay for the buys!!

oooh.. nice buys! I definitely hate spending money, so I'm always looking for sales also. When I was younger I always hated my mom being sooo frugal... but now look at me, I've turned out the same way!:dohh: Really though, why spend lots of money if you can spend less?! :thumbup:

Was swimming for an hour today... coming out of the pool definitely felt like gaining all my pregnancy weight at once... and I've gained 30 lbs already! :blush: So embarrassing at every midwife appointment... but I do still fit into my pre-pregnancy jeans (can even button them up! barely though.. haha.. that belly is getting too big).... sooo.. that's some consolation, knowing at least that all that extra weight didn't go to my thighs and bum... but... I'll definitely end up gaining more than is recommended. Sigh... lots of exercising ahead when this baby is out, I suppose.. :-(

Although, really, it feels like most of the weight went to my boobies... how big are they gonna get?!! I never liked the Pamela Anderson look, and now I'm sporting it! :cry:

MrsK - I know what you mean about when you get out of the water. For me it felt like I was gaining more like 50lbs at least. Bah! I also noticed that I don't float like I thought I would in the water. DH was laughing at me, I thought since I've gained so much I'd float like I used to when I was genuinely this fat, he had to point out that this time it's all solid bones and fluids.

So I went crazy and bought more stuff. Soemone save me from myself! I should buy some shares in Visa because I sure am giving them a whole lot of business right now. I bought the bedding I *think* I'm sticking with and extra crib sheets and then I also bought some reusable diapers, the infant size though, 10-22lbs so it'll be a little while before the twins will fit them. They are an all in one style. I was only able to justify buying 2 sets of 5 for $30 each set so far. They are on half price at Walmart. Woohoo! I hope I'll be able to get the rest I need, I'm slightly worried they are no longer choosing to stock them. I can't decide quite how many I'll need. I'm willing to wash often so I'm hoping I can get away with less than some people might get. I plan on disposable diapering when we are out and about and possibly overnight as well depending on performance of the diapers, and obviously for the first few months until the twins are heavy enough for them.

The spare room is nearly completely empty. It is now officially empty enough to paint so I just need to figure out the curtain situation and then paint samples!!!!

Hope everyone else has had a productive weekend. I'm off to put my feet up.

OctBebe, Congrats on 3rd trimester!!! WOOHOO!!

Yay Octbebe! I was wondering when 3rd tri started... I thought either 27 or 28 weeks and I couldn't figure it out. :blush: But since we have the same due date, looks like I am in 3rd tri too! :happydance: Exciting, but I'm starting to get nervous too about all the stuff I have left to do. Eek!

Yay Octbebe! I was wondering when 3rd tri started... I thought either 27 or 28 weeks and I couldn't figure it out. :blush: But since we have the same due date, looks like I am in 3rd tri too! :happydance: Exciting, but I'm starting to get nervous too about all the stuff I have left to do. Eek!
I was wondering the same thing. Is 3rd Trimester different in UK than in the U.S. ?

Yay i'm with the last of the V-day ladies!! lol Happy V-Day to us halloween mummy-to-be's! And happy 3rd tri to you lucky ladies weeks ahead of us!! :haha: x

Happy V-days and Third Tri's to everyone. Im almost third tri!

Off to the doctors today. My appointment wasnt supposed to be until thursday but I have spent the whole weekend in bed feeling weak, dizzy and lightheaded with headaches. Also every time i stand my bump goes hard so off i go in a few hours.

Ah! There was a lady on the 2nd tri board who is exactly the same due date as me who just delivered. So scary!!!

ETA - hope everything is okay YoursTruly!

Nai - Happy v day :yipee:
& Happy 3rd Tri's

Yourstruly - Hope all is ok x

Happy V-days and third tri! I'm in third tri tomorrow-- yaay! Although it's a little scary, too-- makes me realize just how close I am now. It's good to know that LO would most likely survive if born now, but also scary to think about preterm delivery.. my mom had two preterms at 34 and 35 weeks.. and although i don't think I'll have that problem (she was in her late 30's during both pregnancies while i'm in my early 20s), it's still.. well.. scary!

Hope all is okay, yourstruly!

Yourstruly, thinking of you and praying all is well. Feel better soon dear! :hugs:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->