****October Bumpkins 2010 - Parenting Thread****

Im also going to try to hold on until 6 months so i can BLW ill have to pop to library and get the book sounds interesting :)

oo i didnt know they didnt reccomend purees any more my god it changes so much its hard to keep up lol makes perfect sense to wait till 6 months if you are BLW and like you say if you do feel you have to start before then you can just giove baby rice porridge etc and then start BLW at 6 months :)

Why do they say not to puree any more? i was told to puree chloes food

tbh and this is just my opinion i think they all talk out there arses lol i can understandthe no gluten no salt etc but some things they come out with are utter crap !

tbh and this is just my opinion i think they all talk out there arses lol i can understandthe no gluten no salt etc but some things they come out with are utter crap !

thats what i thought i dont use them but jars are blended :wacko:

they say there is no need for food too be puree, that mash is a better texture

jars don't follow guidelines, thats why they still say from 4 months, because legally they don't have to change what they say, doesn't mean it is right

honest, even if you don't plan of following BLW I would recommend reading the book anyway, it gives you all the in's & outs of weaning including why jars still say 4 months even though it isn't the recommended age, weaning through the ages etc

I got a really good book free - Clicky

It said things in there that I didn't know eg Don't give them Strawberries as they often cause allergies!

I said earlier I'd post what unicef state are the 'ready too wean' signs and since Little Man is now snoozing I'll do it :)

What is weaning?

Weaning means introducing a range of foods gradually until your baby is eating the same food as the rest of your family.

Until 6 months, your baby needs only breastmilk or infant formula milk. Around 6 months your baby needs more than milk alone and is able to eat solid foods in addition to breast or formula milk

When to start

At about 6 months babies are ready to be moved onto a mixed diet.

Try giving solid foods when your baby can:

* stay in a sitting position and are able to hold their head steady

* co-ordinate their eyes, hands and mouth - so be able to look at food, grab it and put it too their mouth all by themselves

* swallow their food (babies who are not ready will often push the food back out)

These signs tend to appear together at around 6 months, rarely much earlier, if they are ready for solid food, all three signs will be there.

It is normal for babies aged 3 - 5 months to begin waking in the night when they have previously slept through. It is not necessarily a sign of hunger and starting solids will not make your baby more likely to sleep through the night again

it then goes on too say if your baby seems hungrier at any time before 6 months, they may be having a growth spurt, and extra breast or formula milk will be enough to meet their needs

It also says if you do decide to wean before 6 months then you should avoid - wheat based foods & other foods containing gluten (bread, rusks, some breakfast cereals), eggs, fish, shellfish, liver, nuts, seeds and soft & unpasturised cheese

and solid foods should never been introduced before 4 months

This is all from a booklet I was given from the NHS about weaning

HTH

was just have a browse around the forum and well ....... have decided too take a step back from this thread, I didn't realise that having a different opinion was seen as sticking your nose in :shrug: either way I don't wish too cause more bad feeling.

and once again, I have never said weaning before 6 months was wrong

Love too everyone and their babies :)

Have you read my journal because if you have it sure wasn't aimed at you.

Everyone is entitledto their own opinion. You have yours. I have mine. I really really wanted to make it to 6 months but it's just not going to happen with Tristan. Weaning should help his reflux too.

That leaflet you just posted is good, my HV just gave me one :)

I'm just going by what my baby seems to need. Since the guidelines seem to change depending on where you live and there is so much contridicting information I'm not going to base it all completely on it. Years ago people did things we would never consider doing now and their babies were okay. (For example, my mom gave me and my sister canned cow's milk sometimes when we were babies! No food allergies or anything for us!) Rose is a huge baby (nearly 19 pounds already!) so I doubt she'll make it to 6 months. I'm already completely exhausted from having to feed her every hour this past week!

I can't believe shes 19 pounds!! =D I bet shes definitely a hungry girl.

Everyone, just do whats right for you and your baby, don't push opinions on anyone (specially since there are "guidelines" to support every argument) and we'll all keep getting along. ;)

Ive started weaning Macy she loves her food, can sit very straight, she doesnt push the food out and opens her mouth for the food. When she sees it she waves her arms and legs around, she is 4 and half months. However no gluten in her diet. My HV said waking in the night and seeming unsettled after feeds were signs too. I feel my LO is ready and she loves it although, we can get in a mess as her new trick is to blow raspeberries with mouthfuls of puree lol. Each to their own, I dont believe in dreamfeeding, etc etc we all do things differently and will always do what we feel is best for our babies. As Ive mentioned before it wasnt an easy decision for me to wean early as my eldest has coeliac disease, a life long auto immune condition, which means an exclusion of gluten for life. They say now delaying the introduction of gluten can cause CD but I dont know, my daughters consultant at Great Ormond Street said steer clear of it until 7 months, but you can buy GF pasta if you want to make a bolognase or pasta bake. Do what you feels right. Only you know your baby best.

I agree that everyone should do what they feel is best for THEIR babies, whatever age that is. :shrug: And wow, it seems to be different all over the place, talk about confusing!!! :wacko:

Buttonnose - please don't feel like you have to leave? I didn't think anyone felt offended by your posts?? You were simply expressing your opinion just like the rest of us??? :hugs:

Steffy - I agree, Lewis is probably teething and it's sore for him to suck on the bottles. Kyree went through a phase where it was hard for me to get her to take as much from her bottles because her gums hurt too much. :(

Phillippa - The reasons vary for them recommending 4 months for weaning here (Canada), but they just changed it recently (used to be closer to 6 months). Apparently they've done some studies and found that babies who were weaned later actually developed more food allergies later in life, and babies weaned around 4 months had less allergies. :shrug: Just one of those things to be taken with a grain of salt. I always planned to wean around 4 months because that's what my doctor has always recommended. All of the guidelines seem to change every day! :dohh:

Hi all!
Just popping in to see how everyone and their bubbas are doing??
Nice to see how well everyone is getting on.
My little update is that I started weaning lo last week oon advice from her CLN. She absolute loves her baby rice and porridge and I can't wait to move on to some fruit and veg!!
Last weigh in she was 14lb 8oz and I have to get her weighed weekly while i'm weaning to make sure she's not loosing any weight.
She's got no more hospital til may, so we're happy about that :happydance:
No rolling over yet, but she's a really happy baby so that's cool!!
X x x

Ive started weaning Macy she loves her food, can sit very straight, she doesnt push the food out and opens her mouth for the food. When she sees it she waves her arms and legs around, she is 4 and half months. However no gluten in her diet. My HV said waking in the night and seeming unsettled after feeds were signs too. I feel my LO is ready and she loves it although, we can get in a mess as her new trick is to blow raspeberries with mouthfuls of puree lol. Each to their own, I dont believe in dreamfeeding, etc etc we all do things differently and will always do what we feel is best for our babies. As Ive mentioned before it wasnt an easy decision for me to wean early as my eldest has coeliac disease, a life long auto immune condition, which means an exclusion of gluten for life. They say now delaying the introduction of gluten can cause CD but I dont know, my daughters consultant at Great Ormond Street said steer clear of it until 7 months, but you can buy GF pasta if you want to make a bolognase or pasta bake. Do what you feels right. Only you know your baby best.

Chloe is like this she didn't even push the food out the 1st time she had it, she knows when she has had enough as she refuses to open her mouth, or its then that she pushes the food out of her mouth. She is alreaqdy trying to grab the spoon and put it in her mouth with me.
Aww Chloe has started blowing rasberries, but luckly not when eating yet.

Phillippa - The reasons vary for them recommending 4 months for weaning here (Canada), but they just changed it recently (used to be closer to 6 months). Apparently they've done some studies and found that babies who were weaned later actually developed more food allergies later in life, and babies weaned around 4 months had less allergies. :shrug: Just one of those things to be taken with a grain of salt. I always planned to wean around 4 months because that's what my doctor has always recommended. All of the guidelines seem to change every day! :dohh:

Yes they said something on the news about that over here, they worded it all wrong as it sounded like it was just getting at breastfeeding, but it actually meant waiting until 6months may lead to more allergies. In my opinion every baby is different and i dont beleive its right to leave a baby unsatisfied after milk, some babies are easily satisfied onmilk for longer

I'm changing the subject, hope everyone's ok with that! Leo's not rolled over since Tuesday-I hope he does it again soon as he's only done it once. I think it might have been a fluke where he didn't mean to do it, but it just happened! Anyone else experienced this?

yep starsunshine lewis rolled over 2 weeks ago front to back but hasnt done it since i pop him on his tummy and its as if he knows i want him to do it because he just gives me a cheeky look and laughs lol lil monkey according to my OH boys are lazy and can do things crawling etc but dont because theyre lazy god knows where he got this from:haha:

I'm changing the subject, hope everyone's ok with that! Leo's not rolled over since Tuesday-I hope he does it again soon as he's only done it once. I think it might have been a fluke where he didn't mean to do it, but it just happened! Anyone else experienced this?

Which way did he roll, and no just keep putting him down and giving him time to do it again they have to do it a few time before they remember hwo to do it. We had to remind chloe every time we put her down at 1st now she jsut remembers

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->