*October Bumpkins*2014* 43 Babies Born!

I had some blood on my underpants today so I went to get checked out at our day assessment unit. Baby's Heartbeat, my urine and blood pressure were all fine and they said all was fine after the internal examination (which hurt a lot by the way!) but have come home and looked at the notes and it says I have a small ectropian. I've looked this up and it sounds a bit scary but they didn't seem concerned. Does anyone else have experience of this? They did a swab as well and I get the results on Monday.

On another note I had an asthma check earlier as well and she advised me to have a vaccination for whooping cough at 28 weeks as a few babies in London have died of it this year and it protects the baby while she is in the womb. She was surprised my midwife hadn't mentioned this. Is anyone else having this? I had never heard of it.

An ectropion is absolutely nothing to worry about. You have two different types of cells at your cervix, and the more 'tender' ones move down from the cervical canal and across the surface when you have an ectropion. It's very common and harmless, it just makes your cervix a bit more prone to bleeding e.g. if knocked during DTD or straining when constipated. It should resolve on its own over time - it's possible that yours is caused by pregnancy hormones.

I haven't been told about the whooping cough jab but I plan on asking about it and the flu jab - I'd normally have the flu jab every year and I want to see if I can have the whooping cough one too.

I had some blood on my underpants today so I went to get checked out at our day assessment unit. Baby's Heartbeat, my urine and blood pressure were all fine and they said all was fine after the internal examination (which hurt a lot by the way!) but have come home and looked at the notes and it says I have a small ectropian. I've looked this up and it sounds a bit scary but they didn't seem concerned. Does anyone else have experience of this? They did a swab as well and I get the results on Monday.

On another note I had an asthma check earlier as well and she advised me to have a vaccination for whooping cough at 28 weeks as a few babies in London have died of it this year and it protects the baby while she is in the womb. She was surprised my midwife hadn't mentioned this. Is anyone else having this? I had never heard of it.

My midwife informed me about it and also gave me a leaflet so I can make my own decision and then book it if I want to x

@ Loopy Laura - I will be getting the pertussis vaccine as well during pregnancy. Boyfriend will be getting it too since he works with the public. Then baby will be getting her own called DTaP when she is old enough which I think is around 2 months. It is very dangerous and even fatal to some infants and we have had outbreaks here so I don't want to risk it!

Glad to hear things checked out well Loopy Laura. Here in the US we've had some issues with whooping cough outbreaks. Years ago my son had it when he was 4 months old and was very ill, requiring breathing treatments several times throughout the day. I would bring it up to your midwife as it is something you would definitely want to prevent. Generally they say all the adults living in the home or in frequent contact with the baby should be vaccinated as well.

Good luck to all those ladies being checked for GD!

We will be leaving this evening to go on vacation. My husband was only able to sneak away for the 4th of July holiday. Hopefully even though it is short it will give us all some nice time away, unplugged-no internet or tv, free from all the responsibilities of everyday life.

Thank you, that's really helpful. I will ask my midwife at my next appointment and find out whether DH also needs it.

Have a lovely holiday!

An ectropion is absolutely nothing to worry about. You have two different types of cells at your cervix, and the more 'tender' ones move down from the cervical canal and across the surface when you have an ectropion. It's very common and harmless, it just makes your cervix a bit more prone to bleeding e.g. if knocked during DTD or straining when constipated. It should resolve on its own over time - it's possible that yours is caused by pregnancy hormones.

I haven't been told about the whooping cough jab but I plan on asking about it and the flu jab - I'd normally have the flu jab every year and I want to see if I can have the whooping cough one too.

Thank you, that makes a lot more sense than the websites I've been trawling through! I had the flu jab in October so not due for it until after baby is born now anyway I don't think. Definitely worth having it if you haven't though!

Thanks everyone for the info on whooping cough - looks like my midwife/doctor forgot to tell me about it so I will definitely ask in a couple of weeks!

Dh and I both are getting the whooping cough vaccine he gave me some push back because he's not a huge fan of needles but I said too bad soo sad your getting it anyway.

I also laid down the law when it comes to people who are sick being around the baby it seems like no one has any courtesy for pregnant women and babies anymore. A good friend of ours invited us to a picnic on Saturday night and his daughter had a fever and she was running around all night telling everyone that she doesn't feel well and she's got a fever and kept touching me...like she knew it would annoy me. So dh heard me complaining for a good 30 minutes about how now I know why ppl say to keep the baby inside yadda yadda yadda.

<<<first time mom lol

Here in the USA almost everyone in around your baby needs the vaccination. it's very scary!

Dh and I both are getting the whooping cough vaccine he gave me some push back because he's not a huge fan of needles but I said too bad soo sad your getting it anyway.

I also laid down the law when it comes to people who are sick being around the baby it seems like no one has any courtesy for pregnant women and babies anymore. A good friend of ours invited us to a picnic on Saturday night and his daughter had a fever and she was running around all night telling everyone that she doesn't feel well and she's got a fever and kept touching me...like she knew it would annoy me. So dh heard me complaining for a good 30 minutes about how now I know why ppl say to keep the baby inside yadda yadda yadda.

<<<first time mom lol

I've had similar incidents where parents don't keep their ill children at home. I can't understand their rational...I mean it's not good for their child to be out in the first place in addition to the fact that they can spread whatever it is to everyone else. My daughter and I had a cold a few weeks back and we just holed up at home and tried to get better. Didn't keep the illness chain going! I assume the parent just doesn't have the ability to say no to a party or overlooks the fact that their child is sick...tisk tisk!

Ugh parents send their kids sick to school and after school activities too it is so frustrating.

one time I took my son to kindy when he was younger and saw a few snotty nosed kids coughing and I said "are they going home if they are sick?" I was told they were trying to get hold of the parents but couldn't. I just said no thanks and took my son back home.
I dont quite understand it.

as for whooping cough, I had my first flu vaccine ever a couple of months back and I reacted terribly and had vertigo and vomiting for a few days and could barely move. So now im too scared to get the whooping cough vaccine :(
I mean I will get it but im really scared ill react again. I was never given it as a child as the doctor said it would be best not to for some reason.

Hubby will need to get it.

how about people visiting? Like the inlaws, would it be wrong of me to tell them they need to get it also?

I'm getting the whooping cough at 28 weeks too, my midwife gave me the leaflet at my last appointment.

I crocheted the baby a hat last night, it's the first one I've done for him. I crocheted a letter 'J' and sewed it on too for his name :) I've been worrying a lot about him the past week or so, every pain or niggle has panicked me a bit. I think maybe because our baby who I MC due date is coming up, so it was nice to make him something and feel a bit more excited rather than worried for a while :)

AllStar I just want to send you hugs!!

Newlywed, I am sorry. Was this just the 1 hour test?

Yeah. The three hour test will be miserable. I am moving and its going to take me 1.5 hours to get there, and I have always been that if I don't eat within a half hour of getting up, I get really sick :(

That's awful. FX'd that you don't get sick and that you are able to pass the 3 hour.

Wow so much to read since I haven't been on in a few days! Anyway glad to hear everyone is well.

AFM - I am off work for the next 5 days and I finally got new glasses today. They were very much needed. Tomorrow we have a doctor's appointment and I am very uneasy on how that will go because of all the mess from last time and her cancelling my c-section. I am not looking forward to that. Overall though the rest of my 5 days should be good. :)

Yeah. The three hour test will be miserable. I am moving and its going to take me 1.5 hours to get there, and I have always been that if I don't eat within a half hour of getting up, I get really sick :(

Aww, Newlywed, I'm sorry. But 9 points is so close! Are you in an area where you fasted before the test? (I'm assuming so, since you mentioned needing to eat when you first wake up.) If not, though, do you think it could possibly be chalked up to something you ate or drank? One of my good friends failed the 1 hour, and then did just fine in the 3 hour. FXd that is the case for you!!!

I've never heard of getting the whooping cough vaccine other than kids getting DTaP when they are young. It's never been mentioned to me in either of my pregnancies.

It can only help your numbers if you don't eat so try your best or something very small. Like one egg, that's it. You certainly do not want to be GD. It is very difficult I know my very good friend had it :(

Aww, Newlywed, I'm sorry. But 9 points is so close! Are you in an area where you fasted before the test? (I'm assuming so, since you mentioned needing to eat when you first wake up.) If not, though, do you think it could possibly be chalked up to something you ate or drank? One of my good friends failed the 1 hour, and then did just fine in the 3 hour. FXd that is the case for you!!!

Thanks. I didn't have to fast, just nothing sugary so I had some plain eggs, buttered toast, and a half glass of milk about 2 hours before I had to drink the stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->