Oily Fish

Reaction score
What sort of oily fish can I give Dylan? I'm not even sure what counts as oily fish! :blush:
Can he have things like tinned mackerel or should it all be fresh?
Thanks guys :)

tinned is fine as long as its not in brine-so in oil is ok. Ellis has had mackeral and sardines so far. Sardines mashed with avocado is quite nice. I just mushed the fish in with whatever veg i had on offer tbh

Tinned tuna loses its omega-3 in the canning process, so it's better fresh.

When choosing fish it's a good idea to feed young children smaller fish which are lower in the food chain because these contain few pollutants. Sardines are a good source of omega-3 and are also low in the food chain. Salmon, while being a good source of omega-3, are high in the food chain and should probably be limited to 1 portion weekly for a younger child.

It's useful to think of those fish which taste fishy as those which provide good amounts of omega-3. We describe them as 'oily' fish because they store their omega-3 fats in their flesh, as opposed to white fish which store them in their liver (ie cod 'liver' oil) and the flesh of cod doesn't taste fishy. Seabass is an odd one because it's more like a white fish, but does contain omega-3 in the flesh.

It's good to try different varieties though and at the end of the day it comes down to what the child is happy to eat!

Best wishes,
Mina.

Igennus Healthcare Nutrition

Thanks, that's brilliant information. I think I will try him on sardines and see how he takes them tomorrow xxx

do u steam or cook the tinned sardines b4 giving them to ur baby?

tinned fish is already cooked so you just need to mush it up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->