Okay I'm very confused about maternity pay

Blah11

☼ Mummy to Amelie ☼
Reaction score
I work for the NHS and I'm not sure how long I'll get paid for. I want to take 9 months off but I won't be able to afford it if I don't get paid for the last 3 months. I know SMP can be paid for a maximum of 39 weeks. My mat leave states I get full pay for 8 weeks, then half pay + SMP for 18 weeks. Would I qualify for the next 13 weeks to get SMP?

So confusing :dohh:

i think statutory maternity pay will pay u for the first 9 months but anything after is without pay but dont quote me on it im a little confused by it all myself

Lou
xxx

Oh that's fine then :D I hope it is cos I can afford to live on my wage being only £450 or so a month.. I would have been paying the rest of my wage on childcare anyway!

No that's right Lou, the SMP is 9 months in total the first 6 weeks of which are 90% pay. Nothing after that even though stat leave is for 12 months. But what your employer does above stat is up to them.

So it doesn't matter what my employer does in regards to their maternity leave package since it's the gov who pays SMP.. right?

So it doesn't matter what my employer does in regards to their maternity leave package since it's the gov who pays SMP.. right?

No your employer pays the stat (and it's taxed and pension will be taken off if you are signed up for it) but the government has set the minimum requirements for stat. If you get maternity allowance (being essentially the same minus the 90% pay in the first weeks) because you're not employed or are self-employed then that is like benefits, paid by the government.

Does my employer HAVE to pay me 39 weeks of smp?

Does my employer HAVE to pay me 39 weeks of smp?

Yep. So long as you have been working with them essentially since you got pregnant and have worked there continuously to the 15th week before your EDD. You must have informed them you are pregnant by week 25. You can get it even if you don't plan on going back to work afterwards. You also need to have been earning above the lower earnings limit which was £87 unless it has changed this April.

You get 6 weeks at 90% pay then the remaining 33 weeks on stat rate, now around £118 I think, or 90% of you pay if this is normally less than the stat rate.

Don't forget you can also work for 10 keep in touch days during your leave at proper pay without it affecting you SMP.

Ah perfect :) I just really wanted to make sure I'm entitled to my SMP from 6-9 months else I'd have to return to work after my NHS mat leave is up.

Have you not been given the pregnancy book by your MW, it has a lot of info in it? If not you can check through all the details online. https://www.dwp.gov.uk/lifeevent/benefits/statutory_maternity_pay.asp
And other relevant sections for other stuff.

I would check with your Human Resorces dept as a friend of mine works for the NHS (head of cleaning dept) and they are giving her a really good maternity pay package.
i think the goverment mat pay is 90% of your wages for 6 weeks then up to 9 months on 118 quid a week and then you can take 3 months more but that is unpaid.
But some places have their own schemes so speak to HR and find out what your going to get.
Good luck with it all, its all so baffling xxx

I work for the NHS and I'm not sure how long I'll get paid for. I want to take 9 months off but I won't be able to afford it if I don't get paid for the last 3 months. I know SMP can be paid for a maximum of 39 weeks. My mat leave states I get full pay for 8 weeks, then half pay + SMP for 18 weeks. Would I qualify for the next 13 weeks to get SMP?

So confusing :dohh:

You will still get the SMP for the remaining 13weeks just won't get the half pay on top. Your getting a good deal there. My employer does the standard 6weeks 90% pay and then following 33weeks at £118

Yup agreed you are getting a really good deal! Just budget and put some of the 50% pay away if you want to take more unpaid leave.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->