one born every minute : MALE 'midwife'

I had a male midwifery student who helped deliver Daniel. He was excellent, empathetic and just generally put me at ease.

i absolutely loved the male midwife in one born every minute
i thought he came across alot nicer than some of the midwifes i met..
i understand what your saying about men not understanding the pain ect
but i see it in a different way that..he must really love the whole process of giving birth to become a midwife and i think the fact that he's a man and cant ever do it himself gives him more passion and awe /fascination towards mothers actually doing it..because its such a wonderful thing that he'll never witness personally himself..
i thought he was lovely
and i had loads of different males helping out when i gave birth in the end..3 men giving me an epidural while my bums out lol men in the delivery room..stitching me up..male doctors coming to visit me after while i had my boobs out trying to feed..i really didnt care :)

I dont watch the show (I dont get it here I dont think??) but I have always actually preferred a male dr :s I dont know why that is, I have only had one female dr as I just prefer males

i had one with my 2nd son and as long as he was put safely i didnt care!

The same male midwife was there for my DS and my LO. He was just a midwife 8yr ago when I had my son and this time he was the senior midwife in charge. I had no problems with him at all, infact he was better than the registrars in manner and everything.

As far as I know he is the only male in this area and took a hell of a lot of stick when he first started and was called all sorts of names from a perv to gay etc (he is a relation of my mums friend thats how I know lol).

A man delivered my baby :) I couldn't have cared less who was down there, I just wanted her out!! Lol

A lot of the female midwives haven't had children anyway I think 5 out of 6 of my midwives hadn't, so they wouldn't know what the pain felt like anyways? :shrug:

X

I think he's obviously an excellent midwife, it just gave me the eeby jeebies a bit when he was doing the internal examination....

That man was an inspiration. He was amazing! I want a male midwife next time please!! Make a nice change from the hard-faced middle-aged cow I had the first time! :)

It wouldn't bother me in the slightest. The whole 'they've never had birth' doesn't even equate to an argument. The most amazing brain surgeons in the world haven't had brain tumours, doesn't mean they're any less capable at their jobs.

So what? :shrug: As long as they are good at their job and passionate about what they're doing does it matter if a man or a woman delivers your baby as long as they arrive safely! And that particular male mw seemed fantastic imo much better than alot of female midwives! He was really sweet!

It wouldnt bother me he seems really nice and really u wouldn't care as ur in too much pain lol xx

My OB was a male... didn't think too much about it really

I don't get the pain arguement either :shrug: You don't need to have had cancer to feel compassion for a cancer sufferer.

Well, 90% of midwives have not been through labour because they go to uni straight from school. Personally I think it should be one of the criteria - how can you help some on give birth if you haven't done it yourself? This is the case with women wanting to be a Doula (a professional who is there to help the mother and her partner/children etc during childbirth and the post-partum period)

JMO - but I don't agree with this at all. I went through three shift changes when I was in labour, and the midwife that delivered Madeline was about 25 with no children, and she was perfectly capable of helping me give birth. In fact, she was fantastic. Where would you draw the line then - you can only be a nursery nurse if you have had children, only be a counsellor if you have needed counselling, etc etc?

There is a male midwife at the hospital I gave birth at. I didn't see him, but he delivered my friend's baby. The way I was feeling, I wouldn't have cared who was at the foot of the bed as long as they got the baby out and ended the pain! :haha:

I had a male consultant at my birth in the end, by that point I just didn't care who was there! So I don't think I would mind a male midwife x

my boyfriend was always worried there'd be a male midwife when i delivered as he knew it would make him feel uncomfortable, and there was! when we arrived in walked the midwife and with her came a very young, sweet male student midwife. we'd been up for almost 10 hours at that point labouring at home so nick didn't even bat an eyelid. in fact, i couldn't have given two shits if a trained monkey had have entered at that point as long as they WERE trained and could administer a shot of diamorphine well! :lol:

he didn't do any of the examinations but i was half naked the whole time. my boyfriend didn't care at all, it wasn't the time or the place for any kind of insecurity.

I had a male midwife, and he was absolutely fantastic! But he made a point of asking if I was comfortable with him being male etc, and if not someone else would swap or w/e!

exactly most consultants are male whats the dfference,

how ever if i had the ultimate choice i would choose women to be with me, plus i think my oh would be comfier too if i'm honest, i'm not keen on midwives telling mums when to push and not to and he was doing that. but women midwoves do that too on that programme

x

There is a male midwife at the hospital I gave birth at. I didn't see him, but he delivered my friend's baby. The way I was feeling, I wouldn't have cared who was at the foot of the bed as long as they got the baby out and ended the pain! :haha:

I agree, I don't care who's there and whether they have given birth before, man, woman, for all I care marshmallow man could be my MW as long as my baby is delivered safe and well. It hurt so much I didn't give a hoot who was there :haha:

I was my best friend's birthing partner, so although I didn't deliver the baby I was there for her supporting her in much the same way a MW would (bar bringing the baby into the world). This was before I'd been through childbirth myself but I could sympathise with what she was going through, help her through it, encourage her etc She told me afterwards she didn't think she could have done it without me there. Of course she would have but even though I'd not experienced 1st hand what she had I helped her in some way. They even gave bubba my name as her middle name :cloud9:

Wouldn't bother me.. when I was in labour I had a doctor come in and out the room and he was in there when I actually delivered so that's no different.. same as having a male doctor look after you for something else, just because he hasn't had that illness doesn't mean he can't look after you as well as a Doctor that may of.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->