Opinions needed: finances and housing!

babytobe

Reaction score
Hi! I need some other people's perspectives on an upcoming decision we need to make....

We're about to move, because we have to. We can't afford to buy, so we're going to continue renting. We're trying to decide if we should:

A) Find another basement suite to try and fit our growing family (one toddler and a baby on the way). If we went this direction we'd probably try to find something cheap and probably would continue looking forward to "one day" when we could buy and have more space to raise a family. We've been renting for ten years.
OR
B) Rent a more expensive home that we like and that I can do my home based business from. Basically right now I work somewhere part time, but I have to pay rent where I work. The idea of working from home is that we would have more of our ideal home situation (renting a house instead of a suite) and instead of paying for rent to work somewhere else, we would be paying more to work and live in a better situation.

So, the obvious choice based on that is B. It would totally make all the sense in the world to pick option B, as we would be saving the same amount of money at the end of the day, and we would be happier in a bigger place! The issue is that I'm pregnant and am going to have a baby! So basically if I choose option B, then I won't be able to take my full matt leave. There will be pressure to start working sooner, although at home it could be very flexible and I wouldn't need to work more than twice a week, and Dad can take care of the kids.

That's the just of it. Hope it makes sense! Oh, and just to be clear, we have found the most ideal rental house for us! So I really want to go with option B, but I'm wondering if I will regret not having a full maternity leave. I really enjoyed it with my first!

What do you think? Work a bit more a bit earlier to have our ideal home life? Or suck it up in a small suite and thwn after a mat leave I have to go back to work anyway?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ashhmichelle
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->