OT (a little) - Christening Advice? Anybody NOT and why? POLL

We won't be having a christening either. I'd rather my child gets to make an informed choice about their religion, if they even choose one.

I understand it's important to some people - my nan is looking out the family christening dress now that she knows we're pregnant - so we'll take a few pics of the tot in that (as it's an heirloom) and we'll send it back to her with the pics.

Patch, I'm usually one to agree with you, but I think that people have their own reasons for doing christenings and they shouldn't have to justify their logic. :flower:

My mom is very anti-christening, so it always surprised me that people choose to do it, just cos I didn't grow up with it.

I think as long as people realise it's pure tradition, with no religious basis, then that's one thing. But arguing that it's necessary for a Christian child to be christened is just wrong IMO. Especially people (no one here, but the wider populace) argue against things like gay marriage based on one sentence in the old testament, but then ignore the pretty clear teachings on other things, like infant baptism :shrug:

It's an interesting debate, and I agree that no-one needs to justify anything, but often people do it because it's the 'done thing', and I'd urge them to research it first.

Patch, if you know the CofE service so well then you would have known that no promise of Christianity is made on behalf of the infant so I'm a little bewildered about your first argument against it.

Also infant baptism IS supported by the bible.

"Now they were bringing even infants to him that he might touch them; and when the disciples saw it, they rebuked them. But Jesus called them to him, saying, ‘Let the children come to me, and do not hinder them; for to such belongs the kingdom of God’" (Luke 18:15-16)

We won't be getting LO Christened.

Neither of us are particularly religious - though I wouldn't say we're actually atheist, just not really interested in religion.

OH is christened (though his sister isn't!) and neither myself nor my sister were christened.

We will have a family/friends gathering at our house to welcome LO to the world. But otherwise we'll not have a naming ceremony of any description really.

Once LO is old enough to make her own mind up, if she wants to be Christened, I will support her in that. Just the same as if she decides to follow Islam/Hinduism/any other faith

Patch, if you know the CofE service so well then you would have known that no promise of Christianity is made on behalf of the infant so I'm a little bewildered about your first argument against it.

Also infant baptism IS supported by the bible.

"Now they were bringing even infants to him that he might touch them; and when the disciples saw it, they rebuked them. But Jesus called them to him, saying, ‘Let the children come to me, and do not hinder them; for to such belongs the kingdom of God’" (Luke 18:15-16)

Jesus was teaching *not* baptising during that passage. So when he said to let the children come to him, he didnt go on to say "so that I can baptize them".
The op's dh is catholic so whatever about CofE beliefs, the catholic church certainly considers infant baptism to cleanse the baby of sin so that in the event of it's death the baby would be a Christian and go to heaven. And I think that is the question patch is getting at- does the act of baptism *make* the baby a Christian? And if it doesn't, then why is it performed? Iykwim x

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought Catholics weren't baptized at birth? I thought they had to go through their First Communion? Or am I confusing that with another faith?

Catholics are baptised around six months (hence my problem!) as are most protestants (I was baptised at 7 months).....First Communion at 7 (not in Protestant church, so am not sure exact age) and confirmation when teenagers.....

please, please, please don't let this go by way of religious doctrinal arguments -- back in the middle ages, many people weren't baptised until their death-bed, so it's more the cultural aspect that I'm interested in.....

however, found out today that the two schools we're thinking of sending little one to don't care if he's Catholic or Protestant or baptised or not....so, it's back to the debate with my OH ....

best wishes

Ha ha! I think the thread has sidetracked, this is BnB after all! :haha:
That's great about both schools, really makes it easier to just have the spiritual discussion with dh then x

I havent read every reply im afraid so hoping I got the jist of where the thread went.

I'm catholic and my DH is CofE but Grace is christened and Jack will be too (when we get round to it ;))

Catholics are not generally baptized at birth although I imagine they can be. Grace was 7 months old and Jack - well he's nearly 4 already and not sorted anything out yet!

We have just been through the catholic school issue and basically both CofE and catholic schools asked for a baptism certificate so if you are thinking about it due to schools, I would anyway then at least you have both school options.

Another thing - when we got married, my DH had to have been christened to be able to get married in my catholic church - not sure if this is the general rule or one just from my church but thought I'd add it anyway.

Good luck with your decision

Xx

Patch, I'm usually one to agree with you, but I think that people have their own reasons for doing christenings and they shouldn't have to justify their logic. :flower:

My mom is very anti-christening, so it always surprised me that people choose to do it, just cos I didn't grow up with it.

I think as long as people realise it's pure tradition, with no religious basis, then that's one thing. But arguing that it's necessary for a Christian child to be christened is just wrong IMO. Especially people (no one here, but the wider populace) argue against things like gay marriage based on one sentence in the old testament, but then ignore the pretty clear teachings on other things, like infant baptism :shrug:

It's an interesting debate, and I agree that no-one needs to justify anything, but often people do it because it's the 'done thing', and I'd urge them to research it first.

Baptisim is needed as the reception of the other sacraments depend on it. My son would struggle to progress through the Catholic church without it and would not be able to go to a Catholic school. Also, since baptism removes both the guilt and the punishment due to Original Sin, delaying baptism until a child can understand the sacrament may put the child's salvation in danger, should he die unbaptized.

I don't think that because a child isn't raised in religion, it means they won't pick a belief system. I wasn't raised in the church/temple/mosque and I still chose my own belief system.

couldnt agree more. :thumbup:

was just about to repsond to a comment further up about a child not choosing religion if they are not offered it. i think thats a huge assumption that said child would never question moral/religious beliefs/teachings and followings.i think faith is questioned at many ages,raised in a faith or not. and i actually think such a statement is very close minded in my own opinion(and i appreciate others will disagree)and almost appears to discount a childs ability to explore faith along with everything else!

Baptisim is needed as the reception of the other sacraments depend on it. My son would struggle to progress through the Catholic church without it and would not be able to go to a Catholic school. Also, since baptism removes both the guilt and the punishment due to Original Sin, delaying baptism until a child can understand the sacrament may put the child's salvation in danger, should he die unbaptized.

Don't believe any of that, sorry. Where does it say any of that in the bible?

hi my lo was christened but then again both dh and i are catholic, as for godparents u could have two godfathers !!

Not that i want to cause a biblical debate...it also states that any child (normally deemed under the age of 10) is deemed to young to know right from wrong and there for will not be judged in accordance with adults and will still enter heaven.

The pope himself dismissed any idea of limbo/pugatory where previously taught that unbaptized infants wud go instead of heaven.

(also i highly doubt an all loving god would allow any infant to not enter heaven)

No, as we are not religious ourselves and anyway there are several churches now that do not christen until children are old enough to decide for themselves. I have been to several adult baptisms and they were lovely. He is of course free to choose any religion and if he told me he wanted to be baptised, I would gladly arrange it for him.

what is it you dont believe? Why are you so offhand in the face of what others believe in exactly, is it becuase it does not fit in with what you believe?

Baptisim IS needed in for the other sacraments to take place.
The bit in bold is a BELIEF which has grown from the need of some kind of ceremony for children to enter the Chruch as there always has been, in the times of Jesus it was circumcision and still is for Jewish people

We're not going for a christening. We didn't get married in a church, while I am not an athiest I was never baptised/christened and OH was but does not believe in a religion. It would seem ridiculously hypocritical to do it.

Here, far too many people have one for the party and and presents. I don't see the need for that.

DH and I are atheists so no we won't be. It's hard to say as we are not in those shoes but I don't think we would even do it if we were religious as I want LO to choose her own path.

I must admit I find the above very hard to process, this doesn't marry up with the image of a loving God that I learned about as a child.

I am an atheist, my husband is an atheist and our families (bar grandmother) are all atheist so it was a simple decision!

DH and I are atheists so no we won't be. It's hard to say as we are not in those shoes but I don't think we would even do it if we were religious as I want LO to choose her own path.

I must admit I find the above very hard to process, this doesn't marry up with the image of a loving God that I learned about as a child.

*sigh* OK for the sake of arguement can people please note that the bit in bold IS NOT IN THE GOSPEL. It is a fairly recent and most would say invalid belief, but none the less still a belief held by some
THe majority baptize their children here as its just what you do, they cant get into a Catholic school without their baptism certificate, maybe this is where the need for babies to be baptised actually came from? :shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->