OT: How do you say it?!

Supermaiden

Reaction score
Me and OH both work in the same place. I have a colleague who has been having trouble getting to work as its early mornings and no buses run, so this colleague is walking for over 2 hours in the early hours to get to work! We felt sorry for her so offered a lift with OH which she accepted. He took her to work and she is asking again a few times now. This isnt a problem, he is happy to get up earlier and go get her because it just seems wrong for her to be walking so far in the dark mornings and by busy roads. The problem is.. she didnt offer any petrol :shrug: and we cant afford to pay the extra. Its only £2 each time but 4 times and thats babys milk :dohh:
How do you say it without being mean? Dont want to offend or anything! I have been given lifts in the past and even for a 10 minute journey Ive given £5 even if its on their way home. I guess maybe I am just generous and not everyone thinks the same :dohh:

Tricky... Maybe your OH could start by having a moan on the way to work one morning about the price of petrol and how it's getting more expensive, then maybe she would take the hint and offer. Other than that I guess all you could do is explain nicely that it's costing you extra money to pick her up and would she mind contributing.

I think that hinting leaves it open for her to miss the hint (either deliberately or accidentally!) and still not offer any money!

Perhaps you could say something along the lines of "I feel awkward having to ask you this, and we honestly are happy to give you lifts as we hate the thought of you walking for ages on your own, but we need to ask you if you could let us have a bit of money towards petrol as we're a bit strapped for cash at the moment?"

If she's a nice lady she'll probably be mortified that she hadn't thought to offer money before - I would be!! After all, her contribution would probably be less than if she had to pay the bus fare, so she couldn't really complain.

And if she's not a nice lady (but I'm sure she is!) then it will be her choice to refuse - she'll just know that her lift won't be available any more.

Good luck!

x

You could say "shall we make this a regular arrangement and you could help us out with a bit of petrol money?" or something along those lines x

Yep agree ^

Something like

"I can just arrange to pick you up every morning without you asking and you could give me £X petrol money?"

Say it casual and don't make a big deal out of it. x

^Wss

ETA I often get rids from Co workers since we all live close, and i always offer to chip in on gas, sometimes i do forget so a gentle reminder would help and i wouldn't feel offended at all.

Thanks I will have a try!
It wouldnt bother me much really but she is about 20 and single, lives at home etc so doesnt have as much to pull out as us but gets the same pay as hubby so I think it would only be fair to pay some. I will have a chat and see what she says, hopefully she wont take offence. OH is not the kind to do it lol, I dont know why! :dohh:

Thanks I will have a try!
It wouldnt bother me much really but she is about 20 and single, lives at home etc so doesnt have as much to pull out as us but gets the same pay as hubby so I think it would only be fair to pay some. I will have a chat and see what she says, hopefully she wont take offence. OH is not the kind to do it lol, I dont know why! :dohh:

Don't forget she would have had to pay the bus fare if the buses were running, so I'm sure she has the money xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->