Packing for Hospital...Advice Pls

Lil_Baby_Boo

Reaction score
Right, I started my hospital bag well bags actually! Have decided as couldn't fit everything in to one bag to have a bag for things I need/may need when in labour & just after and another bag for things I'm going to need when on the hospital ward (obviosly some things will be needed in both)

Here's my list's:

For Labour & after -

Nightie x2
Socks (for me)
Bath Towel
Face Cloth
Bobbles
Headband
Camera
Shower/wash items
Disposable knickers
Baby Wipes (for my use)
Sanitary/maternity Towels
Breast Pads
Baby clothes (for dressing after he's born)
baby Snuggle blanket
Bib
Dummy
Nappies
Deodrant
Change of clothes for chris (shorts & t-shirt)
Snacks

Hosp Bag for on Ward

Bath Towel
Hand Towel
Face Cloth
PJ's
Slippers
Face wipes
Cotton Wool
Sterile Hand Gel
Bibs x5
Cardigans x2
Socks & scratchmits
Coming home outfit, Jacket & Hat
Selection of baby gro's/Romper
Hat
Nappies
Toothbrush & toothpaste
Underwear
Deodrant
Shower/wash items
Sanitary/maternity Towels
Cool Clothes for on Ward
Clothes to come home in

Ok, it seems a lot...but I've never done this before so wanted to be prepared!
Have I forgotten anything? Or is there something I should/shouldn't take??

Pls Help.

Ta xx

Sounds OK to me, doesn't sound like you have missed anything out......but then again, I took 2 cases so not the best person to answer you :blush:

Are you going to be staying in hospital over night? ie: once baby is born, you'll be hopefully leaving within 24 hours? I plan on leaving within 5/6 hours; I cant stand hospital so if by chance I can discharge myself, I will. You have alot of things on that list!!!!!! In saying that though, it may look alot but once packed, it will just look like the average 'over night' bag!

OMG Tam, Alfie has grown so much lol. Wow. Can you post a picture.?

Are you going to be staying in hospital over night? ie: once baby is born, you'll be hopefully leaving within 24 hours? I plan on leaving within 5/6 hours; I cant stand hospital so if by chance I can discharge myself, I will. You have alot of things on that list!!!!!! In saying that though, it may look alot but once packed, it will just look like the average 'over night' bag!

OMG Tam, Alfie has grown so much lol. Wow. Can you post a picture.?

Our hospital has a min stay of 6 hours and they say a max of 24 so long as everything is ok, there's no complications and baby well & is feeding well.
If I was to have him at say 6pm I would then have to stay in til the next day as they're not going to discharge me in the middle of the night!

I'm also packing enough so that if I had to stay a bit longer (say if a needed an emergency C-Section) I had enough and my OH would'nt have to run around packing extra things for me, he could stay at the hsp with me & baby!
So I'm planning on staying until I'm discharged, I'm hoping it is going to be the min 6 hours but if not then thats ok!

I'd not discharge myself because at the end of the day they're the professionals and they're looking after the best interests of me & my baby and they wouldn't keep me there for longer than needed and if they were unhappy about feeding then we're in the best possible place to learn & be looked after. I'd rather stay than sign myself out and get home and worry about doing things properly!
Ok, I'd not be happy about staying more then 24 hours but if I was told baby wasn't feeding well or they were concerned about something then that would be enough for me to say 'fair enough, I'll stay!'

i wouldnt take towels, teh hosp provides these, an frankly mine were covered in blood so they need to be washed str8 away lol!

i wouldnt take towels, teh hosp provides these, an frankly mine were covered in blood so they need to be washed str8 away lol!

Already thought of that.....have Black towels! As far as I'm aware our hosp dnt supply you with towels once on the post-natal ward (midwife said to take our own) Think I'd rather take my own anyway.....I'm a bit funny with towels.....never know where people have dried with them :sick:.....I do get told I'm a little obsessive....I'm even taking my own anti bac wipes!! Hmmmm *thinks* wonder if I can some how smuggle my own mop in! :blush:

They only really allow 6hr turn round on second babies (well at our hospital anyways)...

They like to see if baby feeds well, and that they have there hearing tests done etc etc ...

Pack more rather than less but be pepared to sweat to death ...

Take a mini fan

xxx

They only really allow 6hr turn round on second babies (well at our hospital anyways)...

They like to see if baby feeds well, and that they have there hearing tests done etc etc ...

Pack more rather than less but be pepared to sweat to death ...

Take a mini fan

xxx

Ooooh, I forgot about a little fan! Ta!
I did wonder about the 6 hours trn arnd but Midwife confirmed on Tuesday that they do look to get you out as quick as possible (obviosly it depends on the time of day/night) also depending on if everything is ok as far as feeding etc. She did say tho that if you are discharged and then find it difficult or are having troub they can re-admit you!

I dnt travel lightly so I've got loadsa cool clothes.......its going to be so odd going in to hosp with a bump and coming out with a baby! Kinda like stars in their eyes but more messy & painfull!

'Tonight Matthew I'm going to be a Mummy!'

:rofl: it makes me laugh when I see people put fans on their list, I have been shivering cold during both labours, although at the begining of Alfie, I did sed 1 bead of sweat :lol: but seriously, I had blankets, towels and coats over me, I was freezing!

Louise, I will sort some pics out for tomorrow :hugs:x

I'm the same as you as long as there are no concerns and I'm comfortable I'm off outta there as soon as.

Always good to be over than under prepared. I decided I'd have 2 bags (not cases like Tam lmao) one for me one for bubs. Labour stuff on top of bag of course.

My hospital were really fussy about cleaning and you could only take a small bag that could fit in your locker at the side of the bed. Nothing could be left on the floor. So most of my stuff had to go home again with hubby. Saying that though, he just left it in the car boot and brought it back the next day!

Have you thought about magazines/books? It may sound silly, but if you have bubba at an odd time, then have to stay a while, it won't be visiting hours so you will be on your own. Chances are you will be on a ward with other people sleeping, and bubba will just sleep, and you will probably be so wired after the birth that you won't want to sleep. I had a section so was bedridden for 24 hours and I did 2 books in 2 days!

I never used half of the stuff i took and i had a large hold all.

Ellie used 1 vest and a sleep suit i used ....

2 Pj sets (one before bath, one after)

1 nighty (laboured in)

Desposible knickers (boots own GOD SEND!)

And maternity towels ...

That bloody tired i didn't do hair/make up to go home i just wanted my bed!

Basically that was it!

xxx

I read lip balm something to do with gas & air? :D

Have you thought about magazines/books? It may sound silly, but if you have bubba at an odd time, then have to stay a while, it won't be visiting hours so you will be on your own. Chances are you will be on a ward with other people sleeping, and bubba will just sleep, and you will probably be so wired after the birth that you won't want to sleep. I had a section so was bedridden for 24 hours and I did 2 books in 2 days!

Yup, got 2 books in now, mp3 player and a mini laptop dvd in car thing (has headphones too!) I was talking to OH the other day as midwife mentioned the TV's (which you have to pay for anyway) in the labour rooms hardly ever work becuase when the repair men turn up the rooms are in use so they dnt get fixed often! So we've decided to chuck that in the bag too! Depending on how long I'm in labour for watching something might help relax me a little and also keep OH entertained!

Covering every angle! I'll be turning up at the Hosp with lorry loads of bags!

Thanks for posting about packing Lil baby boo. My sister has told me to get my hospital bag packed already. I finish work next saturday so I will get organised then as I will have 8 weeks to go.:shock: Im now getting scared of the birth.

Thanks for posting about packing Lil baby boo. My sister has told me to get my hospital bag packed already. I finish work next saturday so I will get organised then as I will have 8 weeks to go.:shock: Im now getting scared of the birth.

You welcome...had to be sure not to forget anything! Sick of looking at my hospital bags, I've re-packed them about 3 times and will be doing a final check tomorrow...just to be safe!

I'm scared too.....only 2 more sleeps for me!? Eeeek!!
xx

My hospital has changed to ...

When i was in last week it was a small holdall to go in a locker everything else had to go home with OH!

I said it that it wasn't like that when i was on labor ward and the reply i got was "it is now"

Check hun, cause when you finally go up to labor ward they tell you to leave everything behind except your wash bag, clothes for baby and a change of clothes for yourself ....

They leave all your stuff by your bed on the ward un attended so be careful ...

they won't allow you to take bags up to labor ward incase they need the room around the beds for emergancies ....

Just a pre-warning and they funny about stuff due to MRSA, the less thats in the labor room the better so they say

xxx

My hospital has changed to ...

When i was in last week it was a small holdall to go in a locker everything else had to go home with OH!

I said it that it wasn't like that when i was on labor ward and the reply i got was "it is now"

Check hun, cause when you finally go up to labor ward they tell you to leave everything behind except your wash bag, clothes for baby and a change of clothes for yourself ....

They leave all your stuff by your bed on the ward un attended so be careful ...

they won't allow you to take bags up to labor ward incase they need the room around the beds for emergancies ....

Just a pre-warning and they funny about stuff due to MRSA, the less thats in the labor room the better so they say

xxx

Thanks Imi....will call tomorrow before "re-arranging" my bags again for the 10th time!

xx

When you have to leave stuff downstairs thats pretty normal in every hospital i think ...

They tell you not to leave valubles in your bag but your not allowed to tak a shed load up stairs with you ....

xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->