Paid less than minimum wage?

blake12336

Reaction score
Posting this here too as I don't get many replies over in work and finance.

So I get paid on the 5th working day of each month, which is usually the 7th. In November I got paid on the 7th, and turned 21 on the 9th.

This month I've been paid £5.95 per hour. I was thinking that it should be £6.31(minimum wage)? But my employer says because I turned 21 part way through the month he won't pay me the 21 NMW till next month. Is this right?

I thought you could only be paid under minimum wage if you were under 18? Unless they've changed the law since I was under 21.

I think it may depend on what period they pay you for? For example I get paid on the 25th and get paid for hours worked from the 26th - 25th every month where as my husband gets paid for the two weeks he's done and the 2 weeks he's about to do iykwim? I guess what I'm trying to say if you are paid compleatly in arrears (as I am) the hours you worked would have been before you were 21 therefore at the lower rate. I could be wrong though :haha:.

Bumpuy_j - the minimum wage has 3 (I think) different rates, one at 16, one at 18 and one for 21+

I think it may depend on what period they pay you for? For example I get paid on the 25th and get paid for hours worked from the 26th - 25th every month where as my husband gets paid for the two weeks he's done and the 2 weeks he's about to do iykwim? I guess what I'm trying to say if you are paid compleatly in arrears (as I am) the hours you worked would have been before you were 21 therefore at the lower rate. I could be wrong though :haha:.

Bumpuy_j - the minimum wage has 3 (I think) different rates, one at 16, one at 18 and one for 21+

Think this is the way I'm paid as well. So for me it would be the following months pay my pay would increase from :flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->