PAL after Recurrent Losses - come join us!

I will try to record it next week after the scan, I don't really want to try again before then because if i can't find it i'll lose my confident feeling! lol

I bought the small/medium be band as I'm pretty slim, but even that feels too tight so I haven't been using it. I'm usually a size 4/6. I need pants too. I bought a pair of size 8 pants (I have the same ones in a 4) the other day but they just look too baggy. I need them to be wider in the waist, but the same everywhere else!

So my job....I work as a social worker/therapist for people who are informal caregivers. Basically my agency provides support to family members who are caring for someone who has a cognitive impairment like dementia or stroke, or caring for someone who is a frail elder. My clients are usually the elderly spouse who is caring for their spouse or the adult children who are caring for a parent or both parents. Typically we get a lot of calls from people who are caring for someone with some form of dementia and they are burnt out and need support. I counsel them, let them know about community resources and when funding permits, I can offer them a small grant so they can hire in home care in order to get a break.

I also teach classes. I started a 4 week series yesterday where I taught a class about communicating with someone who has dementia and how to deal with problem behaviors. I'm pretty knowledgeable about the aging process and very knowledgeable about all types of dementia - Alzheimer's, vascular dementia, etc. It's very rewarding. My step-father died of vascular dementia and it was horrible to watch. My mother had to care for him and it was very stressful for her. He became paranoid, delusional and had hallucinations. It was awful. I got this job right after he died. It was a perfect fit for me because I was so passionate about the issue. It's nice because I can relate to my clients both professionally and personally.

Down the road, if I ever open a private practice, I think my focus will be on pregnancy loss and infertility. But that's a little too close to home at the moment. I'll stick to dementia! A much lighter topic! LOL!

I know what you mean Puppy. I couldn't find the hb the other day and totally freaked out. But I took a shower and tried it again and found it. Ok, well I'll be waiting to hear that precious little sound whenever you are ready.

Oh I also forgot to add that I get to meet my clients in their homes which is a lovely bonus. I'm not stuck in an office. I get to drive all over the place. And then I also get to do a lot of phone counseling which I can do from home. Another perk! Too bad we're a non-profit and California's economy is in the toilet. We may lose our funding after being around for over 30 years. If we lose our funding, I may be out of a job in July. I'm due in August. Great timing!

That's interesting Heart - my gramp has had tests for Alzheimer's recently. Apparently he's at the stage where it could go either way? He has a check up in May to see if it has developed into Alzheimer's or if he'll be ok. I think though that he is getting worse, it's the short term stuff atm but I dread the future :(

Heart I love that your hubby is going to incorporate your baby's heartbeat into a song. I come from a long line of musicians and think that's amazing.
It's so interesting what you do for a living. One of my grandad's in the early stages of Alzheimer's. My grandma really struggled caring for him. She's so proud and refuses any help. My dad goes over once a week to sit with him while she does a bit of shopping or has a coffee with a friend but that's all she'll allow.

heart - i bet your clients just love you. one of my friends mom is starting to get alzheimers and the mom lives in FL and my friend is here in MN and is really scared for her mom. that was a few months back so I don't know what's going on now as the mom was living alone (with a daugher nearby) and would go places and not remember where she was or how to get home.
i bought the sm/med be band and exchanged it for the med/lg and it's much more comfortable.

Puppy, it sounds like he currently might have MCI (Mild Cognitive Impairment). Sometimes it doesn't progress into Alzheimer's, but in about 50% of people it does. Short term memory loss is a hallmark symptom of most types of dementia. I hope it just stays at the MCI phase. If you ever have any questions, let me know.

Embo, your grandmother would be my perfect client! I deal with that kind of resistance to help all the time. It's great that she's allowing your dad to give her a little respite. It's really important for her health to get breaks. That's one of our big platforms - self care. We teach people that if they don't take care of themselves, they will end up getting sick and won't be able to provide care to their loved one. Sometimes it's a real struggle to get someone to accept help though. Especially the older generation who are very proud.

It's an awful disease. I can attest to that. Thanks for sharing ladies. It's something that touches most people's lives. I'm always here for advice if anyone needs it.

Heart, that sounds like a very rewarding job. You must be a very patient person!

Hopeful, bite the bullet and get yourself a pair of maternity trousers. Just one. See how you get on with them... Or start with a pair of maternity leggings with long loose tops or short floaty dresses.

Davies, foodwise I've had no real cravings but a ton of dislikes. I don't like:
skins (for example on tomatoes)
greasy food (fried, deep fried, breaded)
pork
anything sweet, especially chocolate although I managed to drink hot chocolate for heartburn
citrus fruits I would probably have enjoyed but my heartburn made them impossible
fruit and vegetables that don't look perfect (for instance peas that are of uneven size or colour, grapes with marks on them etc)

So, who feels the same way?

Hopeful, is the mom young? It's scary when they are so far away. At least there is another daughter close by.

I think I need to go get the med/large be band.

Oh and ouch to your bruises! I bet you can't wait to wean off of them.

Did you girls see that Lee thinks she had a squinter line yesterday? She hasn't updated today. I hope she'll join us this month.

Petit - Up to now my saving graces have been Coca Cola, Haribo and S&V crisps. Obviously that's not all I eat but those have been my MS lifesavers.

Today I have had a packet of my lovely crisps and :sick: wow is it not sitting nice on my tummy - tastes changing?

I'm at the stage where I now feel hungry BUT I don't have any desire to eat or even an idea of what to eat :shrug:

Pip, lately I've been craving sweet. I just bought cinnamon and sugar pita chips. Last Saturday I made French Toast for lunch and smothered it in maple syrup. Oh my god, it was so good. I'm loving fruit, but not bananas as much which I usually love. I'm also not eating any chocolate these days which again I usually love.

I know what you mean about fruit and veggies being perfect! How strange!

Did you all see in the news yesterday there is a fungacide that is used on oranges in Brazil that can cause infertility? The fungacide was banned in the US years ago, but orange juice makers are blending Florida oranges with Brazil oranges. Some of the biggest brands like Tropicana and Minute Maid are doing it! I just bought some oj and made sure it was made from 100% Florida oranges. I don't want that crap messing with my baby!

Aww thanks sunny :hugs: oh yeah I'm not going anywhere!! Technically I'm pregnant anyway it's just going to take me a few months to find out lol! Can't leave my buddies during this exciting time anyway! X x x

Good good, glad your staying :happydance:

The way you are coping with your loss but are still able to be genuinely happy for others is amazing :hugs:

Has LeeC tested today? Oooo so exciting. I hope she's joining us here soon :)

My MS lifesaver is Perrier water with a slice of lemon. Although I am getting a bit sick of it now!!

I totally get what you mean pip. Gav got me some grapes but they were really big and nobbly iykwim!! I couldn't face them and gave them to my daughter!!! How weird!!

Sunny I agree. Fili's genuine happiness for others is a lesson for me. After my losses, I have a hard time being happy for anyone as I'm so engulfed in my own grief. She amazes me too! How are you feeling?

Embo we don't know if Lee tested today! She hasn't posted all day! And to make matters worse, she didn't even post a picture of the squinter. Talk about a tease. That's borderline abuse! :rofl:

:rofl: heart !!! How dare she do that to us!! Does she not know who we are !!!

Fili amazes me every day. Nuff said!

Just done some cous cous, will let you know how this goes! lol

Come on Lee, don't keep us in suspense!!

Seriously, Lee has really crossed the line. Surely she knows how much we need this information! Fili suggested she was just napping as she was a tired pregnant woman. Let's hope so!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->