piercing baby's ears???

When I had an amnio done at 37 weeks, I should have just told her to go ahead and pierce Sophia's ears so she had some healing time in the womb.

:rofl:

I find the cultural argument a bit of a difficult one really. Why does it make something ok just because it is common in a particular culture? Stoning women to death for adultery is permitted in some cultures... doesn't make it ok....

I therefore don't see that, like with circumcision, having it done for cutural/religious reasons makes it any better. If something is wrong, it's wrong, irrespective of the reasons why it is done.

Just my opinion obviously!

I find your argument a little difficult honestly. (not in a rude way) because who is to say you decide whats right and whats wrong. Your basically saying the way you think is right and no matter what, the people for it their reasons are not right no matter what.
I'm sure if you grew up where it was done on 80% of baby girls, and your little boys were all cut, you would probably think theirs nothing wrong with it. (probably, some women do not get any of these done in the US)
I'm afraid you would really hate me lol. I would get my daughters ears pierced if I had one and I had my son circumsized.

If we ever have a girl I won't pierce her ears. There would be no need for her to have it done. My son had surgery at 15 weeks to remove an extra thumb and it resulted in an infection. It was awful and wouldn't want to risk that happening (which it could).

If we ever have a girl I won't pierce her ears. There would be no need for her to have it done. My son had surgery at 15 weeks to remove an extra thumb and it resulted in an infection. It was awful and wouldn't want to risk that happening (which it could).

This is a very big reason why i wouldn't do it. Babies primative immue systems have enough to cope with already without adding extra work with an unnessicary object being put into their bodies. Like sequeena said I just couldn't risk the piercing getting infected because that is so painful x

This is a very big reason why i wouldn't do it. Babies primative immue systems have enough to cope with already without adding extra work with an unnessicary object being put into their bodies. Like sequeena said I just couldn't risk the piercing getting infected because that is so painful x

I had mine done at 7, and my parents didnt no untill then that for some reason my right side doesnt heal as well as my left side. My right side went all septic and took ages to heal. Im nearly 25 and i still have problems now.

I find the cultural argument a bit of a difficult one really. Why does it make something ok just because it is common in a particular culture? Stoning women to death for adultery is permitted in some cultures... doesn't make it ok....

I therefore don't see that, like with circumcision, having it done for cutural/religious reasons makes it any better. If something is wrong, it's wrong, irrespective of the reasons why it is done.

I find your argument a little difficult honestly. (not in a rude way) because who is to say you decide whats right and whats wrong. Your basically saying the way you think is right and no matter what, the people for it their reasons are not right no matter what.
I'm sure if you grew up where it was done on 80% of baby girls, and your little boys were all cut, you would probably think theirs nothing wrong with it. (probably, some women do not get any of these done in the US)
I'm afraid you would really hate me lol. I would get my daughters ears pierced if I had one and I had my son circumsized.

Oh I'm not for a minute saying that anything is definitely right or wrong - ear piercing is just one of many controversial topics that people have differing opinions on. My opinion is that it isn't what I would do, but it's purely that; MY opinion and as others have said I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that anyone is a bad parent for choosing to have their LO's ears pierced.

It's just the "argument" (not the word I'm looking for, but can't think of a better one) that is done for cultural reasons etc; whatever the reason for doing something, the actual act is the same so with ear piercing, the risk of infection, snagging earrings on clothes, babies pulling on them etc is the same whether the parents chose to have it done due to cultural reasons or because they thought it looked cute.

I only said it because others have said things along the lines of "I understand if it's done for cultural reasons, but if it's done for vanity then I don't like it". But surely if something is wrong (that's IF - I'm not saying that it is wrong!) then it's wrong no matter why it is done?

And I wouldn't hate anyone who chose to do something differently to me - I may dislike certain things but that doesn't mean I dislike the people who chose to do them!

I've cried everytime he has had a heel prick, blood taken, vaccinations..(OH is taking him in for his 12mth ones cos I make a show of myself everytime :blush: ) so if he was a girl I would never survive it, never mind him.

I got mine done when I was around 7 and rocked the pirate look as I ran out of the shop and wouldn't go back for a week to get the other ear done :haha:

I have no opinion on other people doing it though, if it's not my baby then its not my business.

Oh my... There's certainly far bigger issues in the world t get worked up on. Fwiw, my son is circumcised and I missed the chance to get my daughter ears pierced... But I certainly will as soon as she asks...

My opinion and mine alone, but I do see the cultural reason as valid, just as some say it's not. Who's right? :winkwink:

Oh I'm not for a minute saying that anything is definitely right or wrong - ear piercing is just one of many controversial topics that people have differing opinions on. My opinion is that it isn't what I would do, but it's purely that; MY opinion and as others have said I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that anyone is a bad parent for choosing to have their LO's ears pierced.

It's just the "argument" (not the word I'm looking for, but can't think of a better one) that is done for cultural reasons etc; whatever the reason for doing something, the actual act is the same so with ear piercing, the risk of infection, snagging earrings on clothes, babies pulling on them etc is the same whether the parents chose to have it done due to cultural reasons or because they thought it looked cute.

I only said it because others have said things along the lines of "I understand if it's done for cultural reasons, but if it's done for vanity then I don't like it". But surely if something is wrong (that's IF - I'm not saying that it is wrong!) then it's wrong no matter why it is done?

And I wouldn't hate anyone who chose to do something differently to me - I may dislike certain things but that doesn't mean I dislike the people who chose to do them!
I respect your opinion on it, I hope I didn't come off bitchy to you in any way. I'm determined I won't ever have girls so will never have to worry about all that stuff :haha:

My nerves were in pieces during LO's heel prick test and vaccinations, there's really no way I'd willingly let an unnecessary needle anywhere near my baby.

Just my take on it though

I respect your opinion on it, I hope I didn't come off bitchy to you in any way. I'm determined I won't ever have girls so will never have to worry about all that stuff :haha:

no no no ,till there old enough 2 decide is my thought :/

I personally dont agree with permanently altering a baby's body for non medical reasons (eg piercings and circumcisions for not medical reasons).

Its not permanent, they do come out!

I personally dont agree with permanently altering a baby's body for non medical reasons (eg piercings and circumcisions for not medical reasons).

Its not permanent, they do come out!

The holes are, or at least can be, permanent. I haven't worn earrings in ten years but the holes are still open. I'm sure that's what she meant.

I don't see what the big deal of it is.
Honestly, some people act like they're hacking a kids head off by doing things.

geez.

i posted a thread about this while back it got out of hand and had to be closed i pierced my babys ears next day. i was real nervouse she crierrd foerr 5 min then forgot and she doesnt even pay attention to them now. everyone has their opinion, in the end its up to you, the parent on whats best for your baby or what you want shall i say. one of my friends posted nasty comments about how im torturing my baby because i got her ears pierced, i told her i think being a pregnant stripper is a way worse choice than the one i made for my daughter. i think we ALL NEED to realize different cultures,races, ethnicities, PEOPLE. are entitled to freedom of decision and shouldnt be critisized for the choices they make parenting .

I had my LO tattooed with "I love mom". Now that's permanent.

I really don't get the big deal. Not what I would do simply because I'm too lazy to bother cleaning them and I don't have a girl. I think if I did have a girl I would make it a special day when she's older and can get excited over it (and I can get her to do chores for it:haha:)

Meh different folks different strokes. My Lo ears aren't done she so cute I couldn't risk making her any cuter someone might have tried to steal her ;) but seriously this is the silliest thing ppl argue over esp when they compare it to cricing. Idk why ppl are so concern what others do with their kids esp on silly topics like this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->