Please help me calculate!

LunarSpoon

Cautiously Expecting #2
Reaction score
Had my first scan this morning for baby #2 and doctor could only see a sac and no fetal pole or heartbeat (thought maybe he saw a start of a pole.) I thought my last period was mid-January but I'm not positive, so he's having me come back in two weeks to follow up.*

Did any of you experience inconclusive first scans with your babies?

*** if anyone is more math savvy than myself... with my last period date unknown (sometime in January,) tell me if the following makes sense and might suggest a viable pregnancy: Had sex Feb 1st and Feb 5th, and I was nearly certain I ovulated Feb 5th-7th. Got a BFP on three home pregnancy tests the evening of Feb 16th, which would have put me at 9-11dpo. Does this make sense and would it be feasible to think its just too early to see the fetal pole/heartbeat?***

You could easily be just 5 weeks along roughly. (little more) but yes it could be a bit too early to see anything. I ovulate late (a week later than most) so that's one week I cannot count at all even if I where to go with period. So say you ovulated on the 5th, you found out at 3 1/2 weeks. You could be about 5 1/2 weeks along now. If you ovulated a little later, 5 weeks. You could have also implanted a little later but got HCG to rise a bit quicker in the beginning. Many 'what if's'. For now you are pregnant and I would not worry about the unknown. Good luck.

I had two early scans. I wish in hindsight I didnt - all they did was cause me unneeded worry and sadness.

First scan - I should have been 6 weeks (by LMP) and they saw nothing. Nada. All the scan lady said was "No baby, you have cysts" Needless to say I was terrified and most unimpressed with the scan! I was told it was likely it was an ectopic pregnancy and to have another scan in a weeks time. A week of no sleep - being scared of every little twinge.

Second scan at 7 weeks (by LMP) - they saw the gestational sac and yolk sac but no fetal pole/baby. The measurements of the sacs put me at 6+2. I was told to prepare for the worse - as at 6+2 they expected to see at least a fetal pole, and it was likely the pregnancy was not progressing and to wait for my body to pass it naturally.

I had a horrific ten day wait - thought it was all over, then I had a scan at 7+5 and saw our little bug and its little flickering heart beat.

So don't give up! It may have just been a little early - or baby just taking a little longer to get started!

It may pay to ask your doctor to test your HCG levels - mine were rising the whole time so that was reassuring

Yes its common to not really see anything especially if you dont know when your lmp was. Id say you are still really early on. Im sure you will see more on your next scan and will have a proper estimate as to how far along you are.

I just had my BFP yesterday, so I can't speak from experience, but it sounds like you're probably too early. Especially since you're unsure of when your last period was. What did the doctor say? As the ladies above said, another scan in a week or two should show you more. And you could ask for blood tests - when you're pregnant, your HCG levels double every 48 hours or so. That could help with your peace of mind, I know how nerve racking it can be.

I had a scan at 5w1d and only saw a sac. I have another scan next week when I should be 7w1d. preying we see a healthy bean. Hugs lovey. The 2 weeks wait is hard. My doctor said anything before 6w you generally only see a sac but everyone is different x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->