Please help with an enhanced/SMP pay question!

Pearls18

Reaction score
I only got SMP last time, when I get pregnant (fingers crossed) I will be entitled to enhanced which for us is 4 weeks full, 2 weeks 90% 12 weeks half and the SMP payment of £128 or whatever it is now per week for 33 weeks along side and beyond the 12 weeks of half pay.

What I would like to know is what I will be paying in tax, pension and NI? Currently I pay about £270 for those three things a month, will this continuously need to be paid throughout my maternity? What when I am only only the SMP? What happens to my pension when I am unpaid?

Lastly, how do they calculate half pay? Do they just halve your pre tax wage in half and then deduct tax, income and NI? The same amounts?

I only got SMP last time, when I get pregnant (fingers crossed) I will be entitled to enhanced which for us is 4 weeks full, 2 weeks 90% 12 weeks half and the SMP payment of £128 or whatever it is now per week for 33 weeks along side and beyond the 12 weeks of half pay.

What I would like to know is what I will be paying in tax, pension and NI? Your works payroll dept should be able to work out a rough calc sheet for you on this - like a predictionCurrently I pay about £270 for those three things a month, will this continuously need to be paid throughout my maternity?You will pay tax etc on anything over £9440 a year SMP or not What when I am only only the SMP? What happens to my pension when I am unpaid? Works pension? I believe they continue to make their contributions but they cannot take SMP. I am not 100% sure on this though, your payroll dept can confirm

Lastly, how do they calculate half pay? Do they just halve your pre tax wage in half and then deduct tax, income and NI? The same amounts?They should just make it half your salary. Thats what my work does. THey they deduct the comparable Tax and NI etc

I have put some answers above. But best to speak toyour payroll dept for an example.

In answer to the pension:
"Your employer may however make deductions from your SMP, for example tax, NI contributions, trade union subscriptions and pension contributions." By the looks of it the part where you are not paid anything (i.e. last three months), pension contributions are suspended.

https://www.dwp.gov.uk/publications.../statutory-maternity-pay-smp/how-smp-is-paid/

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
queenmom14
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->