Please Pray

I guess her honeymoon period is over. Her PDA is moderate but I still dont know if she needs surgery. We are going to see her today so i'll find out whats going on. I hope she doesn't need the ventilator

Hi Steph, please don't worry about either the PDA or going onto the ventilator.

As concerns PDA, as per my previous blog, it is a very minor condition . We were very worried about the PDA or Heart murmur whern first told at 24 weeks until we realised the Doctors were not concerned about it.
Our Doctors initially told us the heart surgery needed to be completed quickly but later admitted if the baby was doing well it could even be done in years to come. The Ducts do often close themselves around 35-40 weeks anyway, as it did with Charlotte, and several of the other babies on the NICU ward. I have known people have the operation as teenagers.

As regards the ventilator, Do not think it as being as a negative, think of it as a positive. If she is on the ventilator then she can put more energy into putting on weight and growing stronger. We were happy Charlotte was helped with her breathing as it meant she could gain more strength by the day because all her energy was not taken up by breathing.

all the best

ali and samantha and charlotte

Well I'm at the hospital right now and just saw Angel a little while ago. It's pretty tough for me today. They have her on an open bed warmer now instead of the incubator because they switched ventilators. Shes on a different ventilator now which will help her lungs. She was having a hard time expelling the carbon dioxide. So this one makes her lungs go way quicker but it less stressful on her little body. They will have her on it for a few days to see if the need for oxygen levels decrease. She's also going to be getting her PDA clamped either tuesday or wed. Now I know the procedure and its done right on the NICU level but the fact that she's still getting surgery so young is very hard to deal with. A part of me keeps feeling guilty for her and I know its not my fault but it's the mom in me. I know she will be just fine. It's just seeing her like this really tears at my heart. They have her on some very calming drugs so shes hardly moving (hard to see when your baby is always moving) but shes comfortable. So hopefully after this week she'll kick into high gear! Other than that she's doing pretty good. it's kinda nice having her in an open bed I can hold her hand better and get some nicer pics. I'll have them up later tonight. Well I should go I get to see her again in a couple of mins.

I'm uneasy :(

I don't like seeing her hooked up to the Oscillatory Ventilator

I'm uneasy :(

I don't like seeing her hooked up to the Oscillatory Ventilator

i can only imagine how you feel.
but you know that the doctors are doing whatever is absolute best for her and that she will get through anything.

Just remember what Ali said, the ventilator helps her work on the growing the other stuff and not just on breathing.

Hugs to all of you!

Jay,

The ventilator may look scary and not good , but does that really matter when we both know that it is really helping her. It is difficult for you because you are at the very begining of your journey but believe me when I say it is only a temporary thing which is helping Angel.

Charlotte was on the ventilator for about a week or two after her Honeymoon period but it helped her grow stronger and we soon forgot she had ever been on it.

Have they said when you can first do the "Kangaroo care" . The first time we were allowed to take her out of the incubator , they placed her on my chest , still hooked up to the ventilator and a multitude of wires/tubes and about the size of my hand. It was so emotional I cried with joy. We took a photo of this , have a look in our july photo section.

Shes in the best place guys, and it sounds like theyre taking good care of her. I can only imagine what you two must be going through.

xxx

Ali it definetely is scary and hard to see but I know it's for the best. It's just emotional. Mostly for me because i'm mom and I feel like it's my fault and I just want to scoop her up and make it better. But it's not I know. It's just tough. I know it will get better.

I do not know when Kangaroo care starts. I'm waiting patiently. I don't think I can hold her for another week at least because she's getting the surgery on tuesday or wednesday and she will need time to heal. I don't think they want to let me hold her while she's all drugged up!! But I definetely am looking forward to starting it I know it will make a huge difference. I know I will be crying with joy. It will be a very emotional time. We'll get past this though I know.

But I called the nurse and Angel seems to be doing good already. Her blood gases are better today and they even lessened the amount of support that the oscillator is giving her. She's really trying hard to breath on her own and the machine is helping.
I want to try and spend at least an hour with her a day if I can because I know that my voice and my touch is soothing to her. I know it may help just a little bit.
But we're going to see her again tonight so I'll keep u all updated on her condition!!

Ali, can I just say that your experience and words are wonderful. They must really be helping Steph and Jay.:hugs: It is so tough when you are going through anything like this, and to have someone who can explain things on a 'normal' level, instead of Doctor speak must be a great comfort to them. :hugs:

As for little Angellyn, she's fighting again by the sounds of it. And the surgery can only help her.:hugs:

Wow, I can't believe I just saw this thread. Steph and Jay, I am happy everything turned out to be ok, and your Angel is a true fighter, I am sure she will stay strong.

Best of luck.!

So i'm at the hospital right now they wanted me to stick around because there's a chance they might be doing the surgery today. But it's already 2 so I don't think its going to happen. If they don't hear back from the neonatologists by 5 then it won't be done.
Angelynn is looking ok. Her blood gases look good but I guess she's having issues with people touching her. They won't let me hold her hand today because with all of them handling her it's making her blood pressure and pulse go up and down and they want to minimize that as much as possible so that her body can focus on gaining strength and using those calories for other things. But when I held her hand she was just fine. She knows moms gentle touch :( I'm not moving her around and poking her!!! lol
So i'm hoping that the surgery is done tomorrow so that the healing goes quick. They said 2 or 3 days after surgery she will be pretty rough so I just want this week to go quick for the both of us. It's hard seeing her in distress... But thats all I know for now. Angels still waiting for her x-ray, echo, and head scan. I was hoping that all of this stuff and surgery could be done today because thats so much for her to handle. But it looks as though it won't be :(
Well anyways that's all for now. I'll be back later to fill u all in on her progress. Please keep her in your thoughts this week I have a feeling it will be a tough one.

she will be well and truely in my thoughts, I hope the week passes quickly for you, it will be a tough one, but your little Angel is tough and she will get through it just fine, will be thinking of you all take care sweetie xxxx

Surgery scheduled for 9am tomorrow morn

Even though you Ali,.. you say it'll be ok,.. and I know it will,.. I can't help these helpless emotions.

All I can say is good luck tomorrow with everything.
You will be in my thoughts!

:hugs: Will keep you in my thoughts for tomorrow. :hugs:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"