*Please Read* Obstetric Cholestasis

if i experience itchy hands and feet with red dots, could this be also OC ? also my hands and feet are swollena little to and its only at night and when i wake up the swelling goes down but the rash doesnt its still itches

It has came all of a sudden the last two days and is spreading on my hands and feet now my sides feel Prickly too..oh and my wrists too... it feels like prickly heat ?

Should i ring the midwife asap ?
If I was you I would ring your MW as it is better to have the test and it be nothing, I never got red spots but I think other girls have xxx

When i had my daughter, i had this condition, it is very hard and very stressful!
it is wonderful to see someone post about it!
i was 19 and scared whitless when i told what it could do, i was in hospital for 5 days and then released on condition that i went back everyday to womens out patients to get monitored. it came to pass that they decided to induce me as i wasnt getting any better on the medication, but i was at full term anyway.
it started with me, itching hands and soles of feet, i was using a hairbrush to scratch my feet while partner was scratching my back for me! its honestly the worst itching i have ever felt, and when i started to itch with my son, i was straight to doctors demanding bloods done.
if you feel it and cant stop, get checked out!!
i didnt as i thought it was just a stupid hormone pregnancy thing, i was sooo wrong!
for the sake of you and baby, get it checked, x x

Thank you for sharing that Franki x

I had this in my first pregnancy and I think its fab that you're highlighting it as a serious problem. Like someone else said there isnt very much at all to read up on and it can be such a potentially dangerous thing to have. I was induced at 38 weeks, it wasnt the most pleasant of experiences but I would rather be slightly uncomfortable than to have anything have happened to Tia. I'm pregnant for a second time now and have already been referred to a consultant for check ups and I'm only 8 weeks gone. I guess I wont see him soon but maybe about half way through i will. I started itching at either 20 or 28 weeks and as soon as my bloods came back I was given medication and the itching stopped pretty much that night. I then also had to go into hospital twice a week to have the baby monitored.

I have all the symptoms, last 5 or so days been hell. Got emergency appt with GP tomorrow!

I had my mw take some blood tests as i had all the symptoms and they came back today as fine.I'm almost disappointed.............i haven't slept for three nights and still can't stop itching and no amount of cream helps soothe it, i'm at my wits end and seriously cracking up !!!!!

Ive been given piriton and steroid cream and will get the blood results tomorrow

I had my mw take some blood tests as i had all the symptoms and they came back today as fine.I'm almost disappointed.............i haven't slept for three nights and still can't stop itching and no amount of cream helps soothe it, i'm at my wits end and seriously cracking up !!!!!
Oh no that must be so frustrating to have no explanation for the itching, If It gets worse I would ask for more bloods done.
Magicool spray was a god send to me

Got them today, The levels were only slightly raised so they said just contine with the creme and tablets, and that even if it was def O.C then thats what they would give me anyways!

Got them today, The levels were only slightly raised so they said just contine with the creme and tablets, and that even if it was def O.C then thats what they would give me anyways!
Really? have you got to have more bloods done to see if they increase?
Did you get monitered?

monitored how? They did a trace the thursday and it was picking up contractions, They said they think she will be here sooner than expected anyways.
Nobody mentioned more bloods but ive to go back on Friday to the day assesment unit, I have too much fluid around the baby thats why im now measuring 3 weeks ahed, And risks of placental prolapse? are high. So they dont really want my waters to break.

The creme doesnt do too much and the piriton just helps me sleep, (first night last night in about a week) But he said the only cure is delivery so im asking for a sweep next friday. He said i wont have to go to 40 weeks tho which is good.

Should i ask for more bloods done on friday?

Thing is though love I don't want to worry you at all but your hospital seems to be doing things very differently to how mine did.
As soon as they saw my levels were raised and to begin with it was only slightly, the gave me a steroid injection followed by one 24 hrs later( to mature babys lungs) then scanned me, I was alo givena selection of tablets including anti histemines, Vitamin K I think it was, Iron Tablets and somethingelse, i was taking about 12 a day!.

They might be doing things a different way with you measuring ahead and the risk of placental abruption.

I had bloods done every other day and strapped to the moniter to check movements, my levels though kept going up and up and then I was told I needed to be induced, I personally would ask for more bloods to be done to make sure your levels were not rising, a week seems a long time to me as mine raised very rapidly at one point.

As I say I don't want to worry you unduly but I'm just concerned for you, it is probably nothing though :hugs:

yeah, ok, maybe ill ring them on monday and ask if i could pop in for the LFT bloods to be done again just incase,

They did scan me but they were looking more at the size of the baby and the fluid, (shes about 7 pounds now already so would be fine to come out now,)

When i go on friday and ask for a sweep ill also ask for the steriod for her lungs because i am having tightenings now anyway she will probably be born before 38weeks anyways.

Maybe the levels werent raised enough to cause concern?? i dunno.. The steriod creme they gave me isnt doing much, they said use a tiny bit on the itchy areas, but last night i pretty much used half the tube because im itchy everywhere... 2 tubes are meant to last 2 weeks..i think they will only last 1.

You are probably right hun and if they didn't see cause for concern with her size and stuff, she may well just put in an appearence.

I Wasn't given steroid creme, just an emoilient, very cheap from chemist, also see if you can get some Magicool spray (boots usually do it) it was a godsend to me

xx

will do, i want some for labour anyway so ill get some. They said people with more fluid tend to go sooner anyways and the trace picked up contractions, so maybe she will come herself before 38 weeks!

maybe :)
good luck with everything hun xx

I'm hoping someone in here can offer me advice.

I'm not sure if I have OC or how to be tested for it. I have gallstones, and had quite a nasty attack on Sat night (I didn't go into hospital as i have these often and just tend to deal with it).

But since last night my belly, and ankles have been itching like mad. Not awful to the point where it's driving me insane...but just itchy!

I've read online if you have OC it could mean you have gallstones. I'm wondering if the same could be said the other way round??

Anyway...I don't have a direct number for my MW, I have no idea how to contact her! I have a consultant app on Tuesday so could wait until then to mention it. But I was thinking of maybe calling my hospital tomorrow to see what they say?? I'm not sure if they'd listen if I just call up asking to be tested for OC.

Any advice would be appreciated.

I think the 2 can be linked
I would call your GP for an emrgancy appointment, he may then send you up to the hospital for bloods doing, that is the only way it can be diagnosed.

good luck xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->