Plus-Size Pregnancy

I felt my first movements at 16+4 weeks, which is apparently quite early for a 1st pregnancy with anterior placenta; but I'm not complaining, it's amazing :)
Really looking forward to feeling them on the outside now so that DH can join in too. He was a bit disappointed to miss hearing the heartbeat when I did (routine midwife appt) so I bought a doppler (amazing price off ebay btw) to surprise him, he had a daft grin on his face for ages afterwards, and now he's bugging me as to when he'll feel the kicks :lol:.

We have our anomaly scan on the 25th and will hopefully confirm that we're having the little boy we've been suspecting. However if LO is uncooperative this time, we have a scan every 4 weeks (over zealous consultant?), so should find out at some point :happydance:

I felt some movement at 16+5, and have felt movementa few more times since then. I also have an anterior placenta so I only felt some on my sides and not in the middle of my belly.

My doctor still says no to the 20 week anatomy scan so I'm going to see how much it is to pay out of pocket. I really want that particular scan to check that everything is okay so far.

Keslinger- thank you! Someone suggested I use it as my baby shower invite. Looking into it :)

Welcome Bell! With my last one I remember being 20 weeks laying in bed feeling like the baby was doing flips inside my tummy nitnis such an amazing experience!

Officially in 2 tri today!!!! So excited. In three weeks I can find out what this little one is :). Hope you all had a great weekend!

Congrats on making it to the second trimester!!!

Are you hoping for any gender in particular? We were happy with whatever but since we found out it's a girl at a 3D scan we're hoping it stays the same for the anatomy scan. LOL. We've bought some gender specific stuff.

I'll be at work Monday & Tuesday with a super early morning Tuesday so I won't be on as much but I will be checking in from my phone. =)

Well I have three boys. So I am not going to lie that I would love to have a little girl. But another boy would be a blessing too! My youngest son is 18 months so I have everything I could need for a boy. Now if it is a girl...watch out! lol I think my husband is scared that I buy everything in site :) My friends keep joking that if it is a girl I won't need a baby shower because I will have bought everything before then :) A healthy baby is all that is important :)

Hello ladies! Im new to this thread. Just thought I would poke my head and see how it is in here. Im a size 16 US size and Im pretty worried about how much Im going to gain with this pregnancy.

I haven't even gained 10 lbs yet and I eat like I won't ever eat again. I wouldn't stress too much :)

I'd like to join this thread too, if I may.

I'm a UK size 18/20 and the largest I've ever been. I really don't want to get any bigger so will have to watch what I'm eating to make sure I don't gain too much. I am considering joining Slimming World (which is fine with permission of your midwife if your BMI is over 30), but I'm just going to see how I get along by myself for a while.

Hello ladies! Im new to this thread. Just thought I would poke my head and see how it is in here. Im a size 16 US size and Im pretty worried about how much Im going to gain with this pregnancy.

It always scares me too! My previous three pregnancies I gained a lot! About 60 lbs! But the good news for me was that I would lose about 40 in the first month. Kinda weird. But it still left me with 10-20 lbs to lose on my own which I wasn't always successful at. Usually in my first tri I gain about 15 lbs. But this time I really watching it and trying to be active. So I have gained only 4 lbs. Which I am ecstatic about! My goal is to gain no more that 20 lbs. Doing this all with making sure I eat enough for me and the baby but not over eating. Try not to stress and enjoy your pregnancy! You are only pregnant for the first time once. It is an amazing experience!

I'm almost halfway there! I lost 10 pounds from lmp to 13 weeks. I was eating normal, the baby realky doesnt need your extra calories at that time. Over the past 6 weeks I have gained 1.7 pounds, my weight has only flucuated slightly. My goal was to gain 10-15 pounds during this pregnancy. From here on out .5# a week is healthy, though my doctor says as long as the baby is growing as she should theyre not worried about the weight I dont gain. Like kendra, ive been eating like food is going out of style on some days, others im not too hungry at all.

Have any of you researched or picked a birthing method? I decided to go with lamaze. My insurance makes me take a childbirth class through them - sucks that its mandatory but costs. I decided to do Lamaze. It supports natural and medicated births. As much as I thought id go natural, my plan is a walking epidural. We are also telling people when I go into labor, and giving updates but I dont want anyone other than OH there for labor abd delivery. I want time to bond with and nurse baby before she is passed all over the room. If people decide to come and wait they will have to respect my wishes/needs and wait until they are invited in.

I'm finally starting to pack on the pounds and it scares me in a way, seeing the scale higher than its ever been, but its a natural thing that's going to happen, so I say embrace it. As you go into the third trimester you are going to be encouraged to put on some weight as it should be all baby that is causing the gain. Not gaining weight means you could be not nourishing the baby properly. Better to be safe than sorry, IMO.

Don't worry too much, you'll probably get morning sickness soon and lose weight anyway! I've lost 5 lbs since getting pregnant. I was having nausea all day long, so I wasn't eating much, but made a big effort to get in plenty of liquids. I'm just about 10 weeks now, feeling much better and can eat whatever sounds good at the moment, but I still can't eat much. I've actually started ordering children's meals when we go out because it's just too much food. My doctor hasn't said anything about my weight loss so far, but I'm sure if going into the 2nd tri and I'm still losing, he'll say something. But, just listen to your body, don't eat too much (it takes FOREVER to digest food now anyway! You'll feel full for a long time after eating) and eat what sounds good (it's kind of amazing that you start craving foods you need, mine have been fruit, milk, oatmeal, and ranch dressing or dip - I use veggies as the vehicle to eat the dip :)

My doctor said insurance will only pay for two ultrasounds, so I will have one at 32 weeks. :(

We'really hoping to do a water birth, maybe even a home birth with a midwife. I'll have to see exactly what my insurance will cover though. I did buy a groupon for prenatal yoga/massage so I'm excited for that. I just hope I'm not the hugest person there since the yoga studio is in the valley amd the last time I was there I felt like Mrs jumbo from Dumbo.

Alyssa is still a girl!
Measuring exactly at 18+5. Big ol' belly despite my lack of weight gain (0 pounds! yay. lol) She looks great. HR: 160bpm.
At my next appointment there wasn't much to do... checked my weight, good news. blood pressure, right on target this time, though we are monitoring it at each appointment. Got to hear the heartbeat on doppler. And, the radiologist had already written the report, the baby looks great but because she was sleeping (in breech, face down) they couldn't get a good shot of her nose/lips. My doctor said everything else looks fine and she's healthy, but the radiologist will request another ultrasound. Doesn't bother me, I love to see her.
Next appointment. STUPID. Nutrition Consultation, went over everything I already know and nothing I didn't. I had to explain to her what my endocrinologist had taught me and told me about my fasting blood sugar. I had to explain to her that their diets don't work for me and even metformin didn't keep my fasting in check (it's never at a diabetic level, just slightly elevated)... $40 copay for NOTHING. Irritating. But, whatever. =)

Next appointment is 2/8 for a recheck. We won't do the glucola test until 26 or 28 weeks. After 30 weeks they'll start rechecking every 2 weeks instead of every 4 weeks. I'm not sure when they're going to reschedule my ultrasound for.

Did the hospital tour... decided that I'm not going to tour the second hospital, I'm going to stick with the one that's closer even though one of our clients from my work is an ob/gyn nurse there. It's a nice facility, it's convenient. Great birthing suites and nice postpartum rooms. They have 20 private and 6 semi private and they book the rooms on first come first serve. My only reservation would be getting that stupid semiprivate but it's highly unlikely that 26 women will be recovering at the same time at the same hospital. They fill the private rooms first, then fill the semi private ones with 1 person at a time until they have to double up (which has only had to be done once like 10 years ago... LOL). Great nursery, great NICU. Bunch of other perks too. They do have a room with a labor tub, they said it's usually the last to go and if you don't want to use it, you don't have to have a nonmedicated birth, you just stare at the tub. However, they do try to keep it open for those who request it - those wishing to have a non-medicated birth. The recovery for c-section room is lame. But you're only in it for a couple of hours.

Now I have to register for my other classes later (in April)... hoping to take my Lamaze in March/April, and the other preparing for childbirth class in April to early May (I want to take the expedited class, 2 days instead of 5 sessions). I'm skipping the midpregnancy class, only doing late pregnancy, breastfeeding, & newborn care. Soooooooooo much to do. LOL

I haven't done any kind of tour or signed up for classes yet. Yikes.

Alyssa is still a girl!
Measuring exactly at 18+5. Big ol' belly despite my lack of weight gain (0 pounds! yay. lol) She looks great. HR: 160bpm.
At my next appointment there wasn't much to do... checked my weight, good news. blood pressure, right on target this time, though we are monitoring it at each appointment. Got to hear the heartbeat on doppler. And, the radiologist had already written the report, the baby looks great but because she was sleeping (in breech, face down) they couldn't get a good shot of her nose/lips. My doctor said everything else looks fine and she's healthy, but the radiologist will request another ultrasound. Doesn't bother me, I love to see her.
Next appointment. STUPID. Nutrition Consultation, went over everything I already know and nothing I didn't. I had to explain to her what my endocrinologist had taught me and told me about my fasting blood sugar. I had to explain to her that their idiets don't work for me and even metformin didn't keep my fasting in check (it's never at a diabetic level, just slightly elevated)... $40 copay for NOTHING. Irritating. But, whatever. =)

Next appointment is 2/8 for a recheck. We won't do the glucola test until 26 or 28 weeks. After 30 weeks they'll start rechecking every 2 weeks instead of every 4 weeks. I'm not sure when they're going to reschedule my ultrasound for.

Did the hospital tour... decided that I'm not going to tour the second hospital, I'm going to stick with the one that's closer even though one of our clients from my work is an ob/gyn nurse there. It's a nice facility, it's convenient. Great birthing suites and nice postpartum rooms. They have 20 private and 6 semi private and they book the rooms on first come first serve. My only reservation would be getting that stupid semiprivate but it's highly unlikely that 26 women will be recovering at the same time at the same hospital. They fill the private rooms first, then fill the semi private ones with 1 person at a time until they have to double up (which has only had to be done once like 10 years ago... LOL). Great nursery, great NICU. Bunch of other perks too. They do have a room with a labor tub, they said it's usually the last to go and if you don't want to use it, you don't have to have a nonmedicated birth, you just stare at the tub. However, they do try to keep it open for those who request it - those wishing to have a non-medicated birth. The recovery for c-section room is lame. But you're only in it for a couple of hours.

Now I have to register for my other classes later (in April)... hoping to take my Lamaze in March/April, and the other preparing for childbirth class in April to early May (I want to take the expedited class, 2 days instead of 5 sessions). I'm skipping the midpregnancy class, only doing late pregnancy, breastfeeding, & newborn care. Soooooooooo much to do. LOL

Your hospital sounds awesome, may I ask which it is? If you don't want to post you could PM me. My family is being a little squicky about my 'crunchy' ideas of a birthing center and are really pushing for a hospital birth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->