Plus-Size Pregnancy

Hey ladies, hoping i can join you, i am a plus size woman too!

Had my first midwife appointment and was dreading her going on about my weight especially as my fiance came. But she was great she just asked if i wanted to be referred to see a dietician. She said it was a new thing on the nhs, and i could decline if i wanted to. She said that i would have my gestational diabetes test earlier because of my elevated bmi and family history and i would have an extra growth scan and see an anaesthetist further on.

So all in all it was okay!

Just worried that i won't show early

:flower:

Lola. Welcome! Glad your MW didn't make you feel uncomfortable. My doctor is fabulous and never makes me feel bad! Congrats on your little one!

I'll be sure to let you ladies know how the scan goes :)

I am up 7 lbs. That is good for me. With previous pregnancies I would have been up at least 14 lbs by now. My goal to gain no more than 20 lbs.

Good job so far!!!

Recommended weight gain for me was 11-20 pounds (WIC) and 10-15 pounds (class from Kaiser). My doctor hasn't said anything about my weight or weight gain at all, aside from telling me that it's okay that I haven't gained because my baby is growing like crazy. At my weight I was told that my weight gain should be in the 2nd and 3rd trimesters at about 1/2 pound per week. At this rate, if I gain 1/2 pound per week I'll gain about 10 pounds.

It's weird, I haven't tried not to gain, I haven't tried watching what I'm eating...I'm not sure why I haven't gained weight... I eat like crazy and I eat what I want. I guess it'll be good for post pregnancy, to not have gained all that weight. I think I may go on the Weight Watchers breastfeeding plan (roughly your points + 10) after the baby is born to be sure that I don't pack on pounds after. Being able to eat like crazy has been nice but it's a bad habit to take on when my metabolism won't be like this post pregnancy.

Honestly, I'm not too worried about, but I have put some thought into it.

WIC has pregnancy weight gain broken down something like this (for an "average" person)

Breasts - 1.5#
Uterus - 1.5#
Placenta - 1.5#
Blood & Fluids - 3#
Baby - 7.5# (6-9# is likely)
Maternal Fat Stores - 10#

(without gaining fat it's about 14 pounds of all necessary gains)

What To Expect (the website) breaks it down a little differently - this is for someone who is recommended to gain 25-35 pounds, a person carrying 1 baby, a person who is at her "ideal" weight before getting pregnant.

Baby: 7.5 pounds
Placenta: 1.5 pounds
Amniotic fluid: 2 pounds
Uterine enlargement: 2 pounds
Maternal breast tissue: 2 pounds
Maternal blood volume: 4 pounds
Fluids in maternal tissue: 4 pounds
Maternal fat stores: 7 pounds

That adds up to 24 pounds without the maternal fat stores.

I'm too lazy to go grab my What To Expect book.

I wouldn't worry too much about it... just pay attention to weight that isn't related to over eating... that's something to bring up to your doctor, or something your doctor should see and ask about at your appointment. (It can be a sign of preeclampsia.)

Had my first midwife appointment and was dreading her going on about my weight especially as my fiance came. But she was great she just asked if i wanted to be referred to see a dietician. She said it was a new thing on the nhs, and i could decline if i wanted to. She said that i would have my gestational diabetes test earlier because of my elevated bmi and family history and i would have an extra growth scan and see an anaesthetist further on.

Lola. Welcome! Glad your MW didn't make you feel uncomfortable. My doctor is fabulous and never makes me feel bad! Congrats on your little one!

Thanks has definitely helped me relax a little! Just hoping i don't get gestational diabetes!

Thanks has definitely helped me relax a little! Just hoping i don't get gestational diabetes!

I had my GTT already, and will have another one between 26-28 weeks due to my weight and PCOS (I have slightly elevated fasting BG, but all of my other levels are normal.). I failed the 1 hour (16+5), and passed the 3 hour (17w) with flying colors but they made me talk to a dietician because of my fasting (that was only elevated by 4). Don't get discouraged if you fail the 1 hour, many people do, and many go on to pass the 3 hour. This next time I'm only doing the 3 hour, I know I will fail the 1 hour. Words of advice, take a granola bar or something with you to eat after the test - then have something with protein when you get home or go to eat breakfast, I know it doesn't sound like it makes sense, however, my blood sugar crashed both times after the test was done.

So I had my ultrasound. And she could only give me an 80% that she knew what it is. Apparently my fluids are low and making it hard to see. So I have to drink a ton of water between now and Monday when I got back. But she was willing to say that she is 80% sure it is a girl!!! Which would be fabulous since I have three sons and would love a little girl. BUT I am not getting my hopes up....yet. She seems to think that if it was a boy she would see something...and she sees nothing that resembles a penis :) So now I wait until Monday. Would love to here what you ladies think about her not seeing anything. Thanks!!

Marisa

So I had my ultrasound. And she could only give me an 80% that she knew what it is. Apparently my fluids are low and making it hard to see. So I have to drink a ton of water between now and Monday when I got back. But she was willing to say that she is 80% sure it is a girl!!! Which would be fabulous since I have three sons and would love a little girl. BUT I am not getting my hopes up....yet. She seems to think that if it was a boy she would see something...and she sees nothing that resembles a penis :) So now I wait until Monday. Would love to here what you ladies think about her not seeing anything. Thanks!!

Marisa

Yay so happy for you! I hope you get your little girl. :thumbup:

Marisa

The place I went to told me that I needed to drink a bunch of water for 3 days before the ultrasound. Then, the day of the ultrasound, an hour before I needed to drink 20-24oz of water and hold my pee. Staying hydrated keeps your amniotic fluid up and is good for you and your baby! I will say this, DO NOT let them tell you it's a girl because of lack of a penis. There are landmarks for female genitalia that need to present. On some ultrasounds it's 3 lines (hambuger) and on others it's 2 lines. At my 3d it was 3 lines, a few weeks later it showd as 2 lines and has stayed at 2 lines. Not being able to see a penis doesn't make the baby a girl, it just means that the ultrasound or positioning is unclear. Did they give you any pictures?

Feeling rather confused actually. :/. No pictures of the potty. Just of the face. None were very clear to me. Of course I balme it on my weight. I just can't imagine why an experienced u/s would say girl If she didn't have more back up then just no visible penis?? It's going to be a long weekend. :(

Feeling rather confused actually. :/. No pictures of the potty. Just of the face. None were very clear to me. Of course I balme it on my weight. I just can't imagine why an experienced u/s would say girl If she didn't have more back up then just no visible penis?? It's going to be a long weekend. :(

Dont blame your weight! Thats not it at all. Go back to dec 18 & look at my pics, I have more, too.

So good to catch up on everyone. Hello new people!! We are back after a rough few months, a clean bill of health and the emotional roller coaster. We are cautiously and hopefully ttc again.

Welcome back, I'm glad to hear you're trying again. I know we'll see you with a ticker soon. :flower:

I don't know if I already posted in here but I'm defo a plus size, I went to the gym for 2 years, 4 times a day and just stop, because i needed to be careful but i really haven't lost weight, i just maintain it. but im nearly 14st... it shouldn't matter... I'll keep with swimming and yoga for now and walking, i want to keep active so i don't struggle too much when I have my little one :)

So good to catch up on everyone. Hello new people!! We are back after a rough few months, a clean bill of health and the emotional roller coaster. We are cautiously and hopefully ttc again.

We're all here for you hun! :hugs: Good luck!!!

Getting gender pics has nothing to do with weight, skinny or not, babies are still SMALL at 15 weeks, they grow by leaps and bounds between 15-20 weeks which is why they usually aim for you to have one at 20 weeks or around there. I would also mention that ultrasound techs are human, she also may not be "experienced". An "experienced" tech would not tell you that honestly. Lack of seeing a penis is a horrible way to say you're having a girl. It takes 30 seconds searching on Google to see how many people were told they were having a girl only to find a penis on an ultrasound weeks later.

I don't want to be a debbie downer but I really wouldn't go out and buy anything girly yet. You need something more conclusive. Look online for potty shot ultrasounds and you can clearly see a difference between boy and girl parts. With my son I had an obvious penis but lack of a penis may mean that the nub where the penis is supposed to be isn't protruding out much yet. At 15 weeks that's very likely.

I hope you get more clear shots on Monday!

Oh I am not buying pink yet that's for sure :). Just trying to think of her exact words. This is so frustrating that is for sure. :/. My husband thinks she is the same one that scanned me for my son 2 years ago. So hoping she has at least 2 years experience.

Caught a great sale at Babies R Us today... we didn't get much 'cause money is tight right now but we got a decent start. We're getting a bunch of stuff from a family friend who just had a baby girl... the baby was bigger so didn't use the smaller sizes, we get them!

For Christmas we got a cute Lady Bug set from Carters (sleep n play, body suit, pants and hat) in newborn.

We had gotten a 4 pack of gerber onesies in 0-3months.

Today we bought:
A carters 3 piece set (I <3 Daddy w/ the butterfly - 3 months), a carters 4 piece set (mommy's sweetie w/ strawberries - 6 months), a 5 pack of carters bodysuits (3 months), a romper in 3 months and a romper in 6 months.

Carters sets that were $26 are $14.
Carters sets that were $20 are $10.

Just an FYI they're having a big sale on carters website right now. A lot of it is xmas stuff but there's a ton of others too... the sale prices start at 3.99 and go up to about 7.99 (on things that are usually about $20)... my friend said flat rate shipping in the US is $6. Not bad!

We have a big rubbermaid tub full now... didn't take too much cause we have 3 boxes of diapers in there but time to start another box. ;)

Going in for my dating ultrasound tomorrow morning :dance: Since it's a woman's health services I wonder if they will use the wand or the one you use on your belly... Last time at 7 weeks our dating ultrasound was done with a wand, but it was at an actual OB/GYN office.

If youre still that early in pregnancy they should only be doing a vaginal scan. Even in tiny people you cant see or date that early from an abdominal ultrasound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->