Pram & Seperate Car Seat VS Complete Travel System

mrman

Reaction score
Hi there my wife and I are looking for a little advice on the whole pram selection question. We really like the new Plicco Switch (not keen on the current colour options though) which enables you to have the baby either facing you or forward in all modes. We also have set our minds on a Maxi Cossi car seat for safety and practicality reasons. This does mean it wont connect to the pram but discussing this we don't feel we would use the car seat directly in the pram any way and some friends with kids have also said the same thing even when they did have the option to. I don't want to do what my brother and gf had to do and buy a seperate pushchair after buying a silver cross at first.

Your thoughts would be great.

Thanks

We are having the same discussion at the moment as to which would be better so will be very interested in any replies you get, so thanks for asking this question.

I have brought the silver cross which has a car seat that attaches to the prambase but we opted out of the car seat as its so expensive! there is a thread in pregnancy cub about the silver cross, were someone came up with a good point, if babys asleep in car seat, if car seat attaches to pram base, you dont have to disturb baby if you want to move it from car to pram were as if you take it from a car seat to try move it into pram then it may wake and be a grumpy lil bugger if that makes sense?
dont quite understand about your bro and GF? My pram starts as a pram then changes into a pushchair after..its this one

https://www.silvercross.co.uk/our-range/pram-systems/linear-freeway/cargo/

Hi there my wife and I are looking for a little advice on the whole pram selection question. We really like the new Plicco Switch (not keen on the current colour options though) which enables you to have the baby either facing you or forward in all modes. We also have set our minds on a Maxi Cossi car seat for safety and practicality reasons. This does mean it wont connect to the pram but discussing this we don't feel we would use the car seat directly in the pram any way and some friends with kids have also said the same thing even when they did have the option to. I don't want to do what my brother and gf had to do and buy a seperate pushchair after buying a silver cross at first.

Your thoughts would be great.

Thanks

Hi there, I'm getting a travel system with the car seat that goes in the pram. It's just because it's easy to lift baby in and out of the car and I don't want to wake her up. Plus, the car seat thing can be used to carry baby around like for instance, if I was going to a restaurant etc. I'm getting this one:

https://www.kiddicare.com/webapp/wc...tdisplayA_54_10751_-1_14051_80012_10001_14051

(I THINK). I'm terrible and keep reverting back to the silvercross freeway but it's quite expensive!

Hi there, I'm getting a travel system with the car seat that goes in the pram. It's just because it's easy to lift baby in and out of the car and I don't want to wake her up. Plus, the car seat thing can be used to carry baby around like for instance, if I was going to a restaurant etc. I'm getting this one:

https://www.kiddicare.com/webapp/wc...tdisplayA_54_10751_-1_14051_80012_10001_14051

(I THINK). I'm terrible and keep reverting back to the silvercross freeway but it's quite expensive!

freeway all the way! I brought mine (well MIL did!) then found it brand new on ebay for less then the rrp we paid! :hissy:

I like your chocie but it dont face 2 ways which is something I really want!

We had a travel system, and tbh we only used the car seat on a few times, as it just made the pushchair heavier than it had to be, and didnt buy a travel system again.

Our thoughts on the waking the baby etc are if we are going to our parents or restaurant we will just take the baby in it's car seat and other situations but If we were going shopping or a walk we would opt to put the baby in the pram as I have read somewhere that the baby shouldn't stay in the car seat position for too long anyway.

'Star-Dust' My brothers girlfriend is adamant of always having the baby facing towards her, now she is 6 months and the pram is in it's pushchair mode so they have just bought a quinny I think.

Thanks for your thoughts.

we bought the Mamas and Papas Skate, in black and lime, https://www.mamasandpapas.co.uk/product-skate-lime/156853100/type-i/ and it is compatible with a separate car seat (primo viaggio IP using supplied adapters) which can be clipped directly onto the frame (without the carrycot/pushchair) we liked this idea because its handy for when we are going shopping or out for a short time as we wont have to disturb her when we clip the car seat to the frame, its also really space saving too, but we're able to leave the carseat in the car and use the carrycot/buggy if we are on longer trips or days out, the carrycot/pushchair is an all-in-one unit which really is fantastic and once i figured out which buttons did what its really easy to use, just push a few buttons and it turns from lie flat carrycot to pushchair, and even better, it can be parent/forward facing in all modes! cant wait to get her in it all packed back in the box now though lol! xxx

hi. Have you thought of a 3 in 1 system where the car seat hooks straight into the chassis and not onto the pram. We are getting the cosatto cabi 3 in 1 as it has a pram, car seat and pushair as well as a 4 year guarantee!!
You can still use a maxi cosi car seat as there are attachments you can buy for £20 or so. The puschair comes with the chassis, pram base, puschair base, raincover, changing bag and cosy toes. its also really light and has a great size shopping basket.
Me and hubby decided on this after we were chatting about the whole 2 hour limit in a car seat. we would be able to take the pram base with us if we were going out for the day and swap baby into that. ( i know it would disturb him but better he lies flat). the pram is also as big as our moses basket and has a good mattress so when we go to my brother weddign whixch is an overnight stay we will have baby sleep there.
Sorry for the length but thought you should be made aware of the 3 in 1 . we had looked at the travel systems but they were very chunky and not for us.
the cabi also allows the baby to face either way.

hi. Have you thought of a 3 in 1 system where the car seat hooks straight into the chassis and not onto the pram. We are getting the cosatto cabi 3 in 1 as it has a pram, car seat and pushair as well as a 4 year guarantee!!
You can still use a maxi cosi car seat as there are attachments you can buy for £20 or so. The puschair comes with the chassis, pram base, puschair base, raincover, changing bag and cosy toes. its also really light and has a great size shopping basket.
Me and hubby decided on this after we were chatting about the whole 2 hour limit in a car seat. we would be able to take the pram base with us if we were going out for the day and swap baby into that. ( i know it would disturb him but better he lies flat). the pram is also as big as our moses basket and has a good mattress so when we go to my brother weddign whixch is an overnight stay we will have baby sleep there.
Sorry for the length but thought you should be made aware of the 3 in 1 . we had looked at the travel systems but they were very chunky and not for us.

Maxi Cosi car seats don't fit on the Cosatto Cabi.....................(maybe I've misread your post?) You get the Cosatto car seat with the Cabi

I'm very opinionated on this :rofl:

Babies should not be in car seats for any longer than 45 mins at a time (when newborn) and only when necessary (ie, in the car). If you move baby from seat to pram and vice versa from the start then they will learn to sleep through it and not make a fuss, so not wanting to wake baby up is not an excuse in my opinion.

Sitting in car seats for long periods of time puts pressure on the spine, stomach and may cause breathing problems. My friends little girl was rushed to hospital when she stopped breathing in her car seat after she was left to sleep in it for 4 hours. Thakfully no damage was done.

Babies should not be in car seats for any longer than 45 mins at a time (when newborn) and only when necessary (ie, in the car). If you move baby from seat to pram and vice versa from the start then they will learn to sleep through it and not make a fuss, so not wanting to wake baby up is not an excuse in my opinion.

Sitting in car seats for long periods of time puts pressure on the spine, stomach and may cause breathing problems. My friends little girl was rushed to hospital when she stopped breathing in her car seat after she was left to sleep in it for 4 hours. Thakfully no damage was done.

Where do you get the 45 minutes maximum reccommendations from.....it's two hours according to the safety reccommendations!

Where do you get the 45 minutes maximum reccommendations from.....it's two hours according to the safety reccommendations!

Two hours is what i've heard too hun, i know you can never be too sure on these things though so if in doubt just ask a professional, although i think your right when you say two hours because a lot of car journeys will last a lot longer than 45 minutes (even short ones in bad traffic) xxx

i personally prefer travelsystems with amber we always used the carseat int he pushchair because she couldnt go in pushchair till she could sit up on her own.

One of the car seat brands says 45 mins, some say 2 hours. The hospital will tell you 45 mins if your baby is premature.

freeway all the way! I brought mine (well MIL did!) then found it brand new on ebay for less then the rrp we paid! :hissy:

I like your chocie but it dont face 2 ways which is something I really want!

Ooooo... I didn't think of the two-way thing (baby brain) :blush:. Good point as I definitely want mine two-way. I will have a look on ebay for the silver cross freeway! Thanks.

We had a travel system for Kaya, but this time we've bought a combination car seat that stays in the car as Kaya outgrew her infant carrier but 7 months and had to be put in a forward facing car sear early. This way one car seat does them for 4 years.

Also, I got a 2nd hand Freeway for £150, you should keep an eye on your local ads paper.

One of the car seat brands says 45 mins, some say 2 hours. The hospital will tell you 45 mins if your baby is premature.

I just wouldn't buy that car seat then!! when travelling you need to not be made to feel anxious when driving so I'd go with a brand that says two hours, plus if I had a preemie baby I wouldn't be driving around with it or taking it outside much (thinking it would be in hospital anyway and if not I'd be caring for it indoors at home, so the 45 min car seat sounds a pointless purchase to me!

https://www.mamasandpapas.co.uk/product-pliko-switch-balmain/185693200/type-i/

This is the pram we are looking at with the new face to face option. You can get it from the Italian supplier direct which is cheaper and has more options with the colours but apparently it doesn't come with a decent mattress.

Hoping Mamas and Papas release some more colour options soon.

Maxi Cosi car seats don't fit on the Cosatto Cabi.....................(maybe I've misread your post?) You get the Cosatto car seat with the Cabi

you need to buy adaptors which fit securely into the chassis. These are like many of the 3 in 1 that cossato have.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->