Pregnancy and work

nicole6212

Reaction score
I'm almost 6 weeks along, and the sole supporter for myself, my husband, our son, and baby to be. Almost two years ago, I was moved onto a special project at work, and for the last 6 months or so I've been getting special training that was only offered to myself and one other team member. (There are 10 of us on the project)
The issue I'm having now is that we're waiting to find out if we're going to be made into our own department, which would include more stable hours and a pay raise if it comes into effect. I wasn't planning on telling my boss I was pregnant until at least the first trimester was done, and until we find out whether we get the pay raise. I'm worried if I say anything I might not get the position, and be sent back to my old job. But I would also feel bad accepting any further training, and not passing on my training, since I'm going to be gone for a year. DH says I shouldn't feel bad, since I would still be using the training after my maternity leave, but I just don't want anyone to be mad at me.
Any thoughts or advice?

You have equal right to it and the right to go back to your old job I say don't tell them and carry on.
Look after number 1.
Xx

I don't know about in the US but here we don't need to inform our employer of pregnancy till 24wks and only then if we are putting in a request for maternity leave. I would keep to your inital plan esp if you have reason to think it will bias them against you.

Im currently job hunting and need to work at least a part time job for the next 6+months to keep the family afloat as DH is out of work from the end of the month

The policy at my company is that I have to tell them at least 4 weeks in advance of taking mat leave. I'm sure I'll be showing before then though :p
Thanks for the advice, ladies. I'll wait until we find out about the department, and after my first trimester if possible before I say anything. I really like the work I'm doing right now.

This is a hard situation for sure. My thoughts are I am torn because even though I'm not lying, I know something that they don't so it still makes me feel guilty. I will say this though, I currently love my job but I wasn't getting the hours I wanted, so I quickly interviewed somewhere else- which went really well. I decided I would offer the information that I am pregnant and big surprise- they never called me back. My current employer has been great in all aspects except for hours, so even with lower hours I decided I won't even try to look- no one wants to hire a pregnant lady!

So with that being said, I am tempted to agree with the other posters and not say anything until after your first trimester. There is no law that you HAVE to tell your employer this early. Think of it as looking out for your family :) GL!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->