prenatal vitamins while breast feeding?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy - Third Trimester' started by dolly5x3, Oct 9, 2013.

1. dolly5x3

dolly5x3 Well-Known Member

I plan on breast feeding and have read that I should keep taking my prenatal vitamins. Is it necessary to keep taking them? Is anyone else who plans to breast feed going to continue taking them?

2. BubsMom17

BubsMom17 Officially Expecting #2!

I will, as my midwife recommends it. Nursing takes a lot out of you and it can't hurt to supplement with a prenatal. It probably won't hurt to skip it, but I figured it's not hurting me to take it, especially since I am anemic (slightly) and vit D deficient (greatly) and it has some iron and vit D in it.

3. Lownthwaite

Lownthwaite 1DD and cooking #2!

When I was BF my daughter all I took was acidophilus. :thumbup:

It's a probiotic which can help prevent thrush infection in your breasts. :thumbup: I've got a full packet of tablets packed in my hospital bag - I refuse point blank to get thrush again this time round!

4. nullaby

nullaby Well-Known Member

I took/ will take them when I remember. I don't think its "as important" like when your pregnant, but I would rather take it and make sure I get all I need xx

5. whittnie117

whittnie117 Well-Known Member

I'll be taking them as I breast feed as well. I am also hoping that I will be able to resume a healthy eating lifestyle when he is born as this pregnancy has made me just want fatty foods and such (gross, but delicious). Even after birth the nutrients the vitamins provide will be able to pass to baby and since you're the only source of nurishment, why not make your milk even more nutrient dense? That's how I feel and why I am going to continue taking them.

6. Hope83

Hope83 Me, DH, DS & DD :)

Yes I'll continue to take them. I did so with ds and it didn't hurt. You need all the vitamins you can get while breast feeding!

7. Dream.dream

Dream.dream SAHM to 2 beautiful boys

I did with my first ad will again.

Breastfeeding can be demanding on your body and it's a good idea to take to cover anything you might have missed in you diet

8. ama

ama Mum of 3 <3

Yes most defiantly I'd recommend still taking them . I did as others have said BF can take a lot out of you so it's great to get added vitamins . Also with a newborn and BF it's not always easy to eat regularly and healthy all the time . I also would keep little healthy snacks and water by my feeding chair /bed . :) x

9. snowfia

snowfia Well-Known Member

I did when I remembered which wasn't a lot :L and when I felt particularly drained.
    I'll be trying my best to take them regularly with this one. It's not essential though.

10. Bluewings

Bluewings Blessed Twice

I log my food to maintain nutritional balance so if I see I'm not eating well (like today I literally only ate doughnuts, candy and pizza -- don't judge) I will take the prenatal. Otherwise I take just Folic acid and I may also add in that other thing mentioned by a PP to prevent thrush.