Prenatal Zumba?

cachilde

Reaction score
Hi all,

I was wondering your thoughts on Zumba specifically catered to pregnant women. Is this a good idea? Do you think prenatal Zumba could provide adequate aerobic fitness?

My best friend is in her third trimester of pregnancy and she misses being able to do Zumba, and I thought that prenatal Zumba might be a great idea.

Just wondering what all of you mommies to be thought! Thanks!

In the UK Zumba is not suitable for any stage in pregnancy (the only exception may be attending a zumba gold class where the instructor holds a level 3 pre and post natal qualification and has adapted the class specifically for pregnancy! If this is the case then please make sure the instructor is adequately insured and your friend has filled out, signed and dated a ParQ form!) due to the amount of lateral and high impact moves as well as change of directions during the choreography. This also includes aqua zumba , zumba toning, zumba sentao etc. there may be certain discrepancies in various countries and territories as to who may attend but the programmes themselves were not designed for pregnancy. As soon as she has been given the all clear from her doctor post natally to resume exercise then i urge her to seek out a zumba GOLD class until her full health and energy levels have normalised. I hope this helps.

In the UK Zumba is not suitable for any stage in pregnancy (the only exception may be attending a zumba gold class where the instructor holds a level 3 pre and post natal qualification and has adapted the class specifically for pregnancy! If this is the case then please make sure the instructor is adequately insured and your friend has filled out, signed and dated a ParQ form!) due to the amount of lateral and high impact moves as well as change of directions during the choreography. This also includes aqua zumba , zumba toning, zumba sentao etc. there may be certain discrepancies in various countries and territories as to who may attend but the programmes themselves were not designed for pregnancy. As soon as she has been given the all clear from her doctor post natally to resume exercise then i urge her to seek out a zumba GOLD class until her full health and energy levels have normalised. I hope this helps.

Do you have a source for this? Everything I've ever read suggests not starting if you don't already do zumba but its fine as long as you keep hydrated and are used to the exercise. My instructor taught until she was in 3rd tri too!

I used to teach the classes for 5 years and also I used to be a trainer for them and lead the instructor courses. The only programme that would be totally suitable (if correctly modified) is their Gold Programme. When the 'suitable for pregnancy' question comes up then they would be urged to become Gold instructors (Gold is the lower impact programme for those new to, returning to, older demographic, or needing a more tailored approach class)as well as taking a qualification within teaching the 'special population' they were aiming to target.

I will not deny that I have seen pg instructors or people carry on taking classes but it is not recommended as it can be contraindicatory due to the nature of the choreography and exercises used. Also many instructors do not know how to adapt for pregnancy as they do not have the qualifications needed to safely and effectively do this and remain true to the programmes format and flavour. :)

(Sounding highly biased but i would recommend the Zumbini programme once the baby is here as it is a music and movement Zumba inspired class for 0-3 and their caregivers and is adorable!!!)

That's interesting, thanks for the information.

Out of all the classes I do zumba was the one I think I'd feel most comfortable about continuing funnily enough, I find it a good work out without over exerting myself and in four years haven't suffered any injuries but appreciate its a possibility!

It is a fantastic class, life changing for so many people.

Definitely great for post natal (once cleared!) as you will not only be getting back into shape but also raising those endorphins and grinning from ear to ear. I am looking forward to returning to classes once i have my LO, however for the minute I am taking it easy with simple muscle assisting workouts and building my mind to muscle connection as my centre of gravity changes with basic aqua/swimming and pilates and mind/body classes.

Doesnt stop me bopping along at home with the latin channel on accuradio though. Ha ha!

I don't buy this to be honest. Zumba is perfectly safe in pregnancy - I did it until 30 weeks and only stopped through laziness (but I swam instead, pretty vigorously, and still do). I wouldn't start zumba later on in pregnancy, but if you've done it before or you are relatively active then its fine. Just listen to your body and don't push it too much. I did zumba with three different practitioners and the advice was always the same - its safe, just keep within your comfort levels. I did a zumba gold class too - and I broke more of a sweat climbing the stairs to the loo ha ha! Most of zumba is dancing and aerobic - runners still run, cyclists still cycle, zumba goers still zumba!

Hi BabyJane, I was answering the question as far as insurance and suitability of programme is concerned. It has not been designed for pregnancy. It is not recommended to take part in during pregnancy.In the UK especially you will find unless you have taken a 'special population' qualification such as pre or post natal or have taken an 'add on' special pops cpd course then to teach that demographic may invalidate your insurance as an instructor depending on which country you teach in and who your provider is.

By all means i agree that you must listen to your body (some ladies keep on weightlifting/iron mans/triathlons etc) and it doesnt affect them day to day at all but the inital question was regarding Zumba catered to pregnant women.
There is no such class specifically for this population. The closest is Zumba Gold which is better suited for a lower impact as the exercises can be adapted in terms of avoiding contraindicatory movements such as over crossing legs/hips during a salsa variation or avoiding a deep squat into a plyometric move or swift lateral change of direction which can greatly affect a pregnant participant due to altered centre of balance and elasticity in the joints/tendons/ligaments due to relaxin and the distribution of synovial fluid and ensuring adequate warm up to lubricate joints.

It may leave you less exhausted but the adapatations are taught in that course and not the basic course therefore more suited to this time of exercise and the instructor better equipped to deliver a safe and effective class for that participant.

Hi BabyJane, I was answering the question as far as insurance and suitability of programme is concerned. It has not been designed for pregnancy. It is not recommended to take part in during pregnancy.In the UK especially you will find unless you have taken a 'special population' qualification such as pre or post natal or have taken an 'add on' special pops cpd course then to teach that demographic may invalidate your insurance as an instructor depending on which country you teach in and who your provider is.

By all means i agree that you must listen to your body (some ladies keep on weightlifting/iron mans/triathlons etc) and it doesnt affect them day to day at all but the inital question was regarding Zumba catered to pregnant women.
There is no such class specifically for this population. The closest is Zumba Gold which is better suited for a lower impact as the exercises can be adapted in terms of avoiding contraindicatory movements such as over crossing legs/hips during a salsa variation or avoiding a deep squat into a plyometric move or swift lateral change of direction which can greatly affect a pregnant participant due to altered centre of balance and elasticity in the joints/tendons/ligaments due to relaxin and the distribution of synovial fluid and ensuring adequate warm up to lubricate joints.

It may leave you less exhausted but the adapatations are taught in that course and not the basic course therefore more suited to this time of exercise and the instructor better equipped to deliver a safe and effective class for that participant.

Thanks for the reply. I don't think any class in any gym is designed with pregnancy in mind aside from aqua natal or pregnancy yoga. I know its not specifically designed for it, but I wouldn't say its unrecommended in pregnancy. All zumba instructors I spoke to when I was still doing it said it was absolutely fine, providing you listen to your body and know your own limitations. I know its not gospel but a quick Google search of zumba in pregnancy doesn't throw up any negatives - in fact, every one recommends it. I just think it would be a shame if someone was put off by reading something negative from an insurance point of view when if you're sensible you can enjoy zumba until late in pregnancy.:flower:

This is from WebMD (there's also general advice on exercise there):

What Exercises Should Be Avoided During Pregnancy?

There are certain exercises and activities that can be harmful if performed during pregnancy. Avoid:

• Holding your breath during any activity
  • Activities where falling is likely (such as skiing and horseback riding)
  • Contact sports such as softball, football, basketball and volleyball
  • Any exercise that may cause even mild abdominal trauma, including activities that include jarring motions or rapid changes in direction
  • Activities that require extensive jumping, hopping, skipping, or bouncing
  • Deep knee bends, full sit-ups, double leg raises and straight-leg toe touches
  • Bouncing while stretching
  • Exercises that require lying on your back or right side for more than three minutes. (especially after your third month of pregnancy)
  • Heavy exercise spurts followed by long periods of no activity
  • Exercise in hot, humid weather
  • Scuba diving

It's not how tired you get, it's the type of exercise it involves. The idea is that low-impact aerobics is mostly suitable for pregnant ladies. Anything high impact carries a higher risk and is not really recommended.

There's obviously not any research done specifically on the safety of zumba in pregnancy. So most people are simply expressing opinions. Personally, I'd err on the side of caution and jump right back into it after baby is here (like I plan to do, I'm a fan and long-time martial artist and currently on hiatus... I really miss my training!). But it's okay if you feel confident in your body too! I just wouldn't go around convincing other people it's safe as well, yet.

This is from WebMD (there's also general advice on exercise there):

What Exercises Should Be Avoided During Pregnancy?

There are certain exercises and activities that can be harmful if performed during pregnancy. Avoid:

• Holding your breath during any activity
  • Activities where falling is likely (such as skiing and horseback riding)
  • Contact sports such as softball, football, basketball and volleyball
  • Any exercise that may cause even mild abdominal trauma, including activities that include jarring motions or rapid changes in direction
  • Activities that require extensive jumping, hopping, skipping, or bouncing
  • Deep knee bends, full sit-ups, double leg raises and straight-leg toe touches
  • Bouncing while stretching
  • Exercises that require lying on your back or right side for more than three minutes. (especially after your third month of pregnancy)
  • Heavy exercise spurts followed by long periods of no activity
  • Exercise in hot, humid weather
  • Scuba diving

It's not how tired you get, it's the type of exercise it involves. The idea is that low-impact aerobics is mostly suitable for pregnant ladies. Anything high impact carries a higher risk and is not really recommended.

There's obviously not any research done especially on the safety of zumba in pregnancy. So most people are simply expressing opinions. Personally, I'd err on the side of caution and jump right back into it after baby is here (like I plan to do, I'm a fan and long-time martial artist and currently on hiatus... I really miss my training!). But it's okay if you feel confident in your body too! I just wouldn't go around convincing other people it's safe as well, yet.

Most of those highlighted are done on a daily basis in my house with my DD, pregnant or not! :haha:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nirmala kann
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->