Preparing Your Body

Cool thread...I'll add my 2 cents :flower:

I'm on cycle #4 TTC #1....this month trying a few new things....

-Taking Mucinex (guaifesnin) (already noticing a diff in my cm!!)
-Taking Fertilaid for Women; and DH is taking Fertilaid for Men
-2 teaspoons of Royal Jelly/Bee Pollen Daily, in honey
-Not taking temps, but doing OPKs and charting symptoms, cm etc
-Stopped caffeine about 3 weeks ago
-Reduced alcohol intake to very minimal (1 drink per week)
-Adding in additional exercise to reduce my BMI

I'm really hoping that this month is our month (FXed!!).

I like this thread too, thanks Suki :)

I was on a wack of meds back in February, and had medication-induced hepatitis....Doc took me off of everything [I was on Aldomet, Lipitor, Asprin 81mg, plus a multivitamin and 5mg of Folic Acid.]

After 4 months of NOTHING in my system... I have resumed:

-5mg Folic Acid
-Daily Materna vitamin

I drink 8oz of coffee a day, and that is it. My BP has been marginal but manageable...I lost 10 kilos in the past 6 months which greatly helped the BP as well....

I plan to include DHEA and Co Q10 to my tablet regime....after we meet with the RE to go over our results of the testing...I am also considering charting...and reading up on that now. We walk daily at night, and I might add Aquafit to my weekly regime.

38 here (DH 37), and TTC#2 (DD is almost 14 months old):

-lost 20 lbs before our wedding in June 2009 and successfully conceived in Sept 2009
-NOW: 3 lbs left to lose to be down to pre-preggo weight
-exercise 6 days per week
-1mg folic acid daily
-1 prenatal vitamin daily
-cut back alcohol to 2-3 drinks per week (will cut out completely though during TWW and once I have a BFP)
-cut down caffeine to 1-2 cups per day from previous 2-3 per day

That's it!!!
Good luck everyone!

I like this thread too, thanks Suki :)

I was on a wack of meds back in February, and had medication-induced hepatitis....Doc took me off of everything [I was on Aldomet, Lipitor, Asprin 81mg, plus a multivitamin and 5mg of Folic Acid.]

After 4 months of NOTHING in my system... I have resumed:

-5mg Folic Acid
-Daily Materna vitamin

I drink 8oz of coffee a day, and that is it. My BP has been marginal but manageable...I lost 10 kilos in the past 6 months which greatly helped the BP as well....

I plan to include DHEA and Co Q10 to my tablet regime....after we meet with the RE to go over our results of the testing...I am also considering charting...and reading up on that now. We walk daily at night, and I might add Aquafit to my weekly regime.

Lordy, Rashaa, that's a lot of meds!! The hepatitis must have been pretty scary! :hugs: Do you mind me asking why you are on them? I presume the lipitor and aldomet were for BP/cholesterol problems?

Have you been advised by your GP that you definitely NEED to be on those drugs? I ask because one of my colleagues, a really fit, slim, healthy girl in her late twenties, has high cholesterol and took statins for a while. She stopped taking them because of the side effects and basically has decided that her cholesterol is naturally higher than "usual" and that she's ok with that. She has regular checks to make sure it's not getting out of control, but other than that she just exercises as normal and keeps an eye on her diet.

For the record, I'm thin (BMI around 20) and my last cholesterol test was 5.3 which is on the upper end of normal. I put it down to my fondness for cheese :blush:, but I'd be interested to know what your score was. Obviously these drugs can have some scary side effects.

BTW, charting is brilliant. After doing it for a full cycle, I am fully aware that timing is everything!! You will also learn so much about your body - it's like a snapshot of your monthly hormonal fluctuations. I thought I was fairly self-aware about my fertility before doing it - turns out I ovulate MUCH later than I thought - CD19. A couple of cycles ago I thought there was a possiblity I could conceive from BD on day 7 :dohh: Now I know there was ZERO chance of that.

There is a very common genetic condition called familial hypercholesterolemia (1 in 500 across all populations): essentially, slim and healthy individuals NEED to take meds for cholesterol control since their bodies cannot break it down normally. People who don't take their treatments are at very high risk of heart attacks (starting in their 30's for men, and 40's for women). I treat patients with this condition: when women want to be pregnant, they can stop it for the TTC'ing period and the pregnancy, but then need to restart it as soon as possible. Unfortunately one cannot breastfeed when taking statins. As long as stopping these drugs is done under a doctor's supervision, then things typically go well :thumbup: Rashaa sounds like you are being well cared for in this TTC quest! :dust:

There is a very common genetic condition called familial hypercholesterolemia (1 in 500 across all populations): essentially, slim and healthy individuals NEED to take meds for cholesterol control since their bodies cannot break it down normally. People who don't take their treatments are at very high risk of heart attacks (starting in their 30's for men, and 40's for women). I treat patients with this condition: when women want to be pregnant, they can stop it for the TTC'ing period and the pregnancy, but then need to restart it as soon as possible. Unfortunately one cannot breastfeed when taking statins. As long as stopping these drugs is done under a doctor's supervision, then things typically go well :thumbup: Rashaa sounds like you are being well cared for in this TTC quest! :dust:

Junebug, would people who have hypercholesterolemia and don't take statins, even if they are otherwise is good health, be likely to have stroke or heart attack before age 50? I mean, before statins were commonly prescribed to lower cholesterol?

Yes, that's how such families come to medical attention. The condition is dominant, meaning if you have it, then each of your children are at 50% risk. I've started meds in 8 year olds and this is known to significantly improve their long-term survival.

Edit: this condition is completely independent of lifestyle, diet, etc... I have marathon runners with the condition (some picked up because a parent, also a runner or biker, had a massive heart attack in the middle of a race under the age of 50). The ONLY thing that helps is meds.

Yes, that's how such families come to medical attention. The condition is dominant, meaning if you have it, then each of your children are at 50% risk. I've started meds in 8 year olds and this is known to significantly improve their long-term survival.

Edit: this condition is completely independent of lifestyle, diet, etc... I have marathon runners with the condition (some picked up because a parent, also a runner or biker, had a massive heart attack in the middle of a race under the age of 50). The ONLY thing that helps is meds.

I'm just wondering about my colleague now. I guess she has probably inherited a tendency to high cholesterol, rather than familial hypercholesterolemia, which sound like a much more serious thing.

1:500 families is common enough, though.

If she has high cholesterol and is not obese, then by definition she has a familial form of hypercholesterolemia. It is HIGHLY underdiagnosed unfortunately since it is so easily treated!

I have this, as did my father, and as does my brother....We are not overweight....my sister is overweight, yet her cholesterol levels are normal....How annoying is that....

Classic, Indigo :hugs: At least your family members and you are diagnosed! What are you doing online, you have some :sex: to do!!!

I have this, as did my father, and as does my brother....We are not overweight....my sister is overweight, yet her cholesterol levels are normal....How annoying is that....

You can go off at me if you want, it'll make you feel better :thumbup:

I'm fluffy & my cholesterol levels are normal also..........go figure :shrug:

Junebug....All done! :haha: legs are up the wall as we type....:haha:.... It has been probably been 35 minutes by now....

You can go off at me if you want, it'll make you feel better :thumbup:

I'm fluffy & my cholesterol levels are normal also..........go figure :shrug:

I could never go off on you.....:hugs:

Cool thread...I'll add my 2 cents :flower:

I'm on cycle #4 TTC #1....this month trying a few new things....

-Taking Mucinex (guaifesnin) (already noticing a diff in my cm!!)
-Taking Fertilaid for Women; and DH is taking Fertilaid for Men
-2 teaspoons of Royal Jelly/Bee Pollen Daily, in honey
-Not taking temps, but doing OPKs and charting symptoms, cm etc
-Stopped caffeine about 3 weeks ago
-Reduced alcohol intake to very minimal (1 drink per week)
-Adding in additional exercise to reduce my BMI

I'm really hoping that this month is our month (FXed!!).

Hi Mbababy! Question: when you take the Mucinex, how many days before ovulation? Then do you stop until the next cycle - if needed of course :winkwink:

What is Fertilaid? Sorry, just haven't heard that before. I could go look it up, I suppose. :blush: Any side effects?

The only thing I will have trouble doing is cutting my once in a while glass of wine out. I do like going to wine tastings, ah shucks. I don't drink much coffee, if I do it's like a 1/2 cup a day. A diet coke once in a while.

I heard that eating carrots and the core of a pineapple during fertile days is suppose to up our chances. I don't know but I'll try it. :shrug:

ANYONE hear of what's good for the men?

Yes, DMom...I remembered the softcup...Actually...DH did....and I had my legs up for 40 minutes!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->