Private Renting - inspection

sweetlullaby

Reaction score
Someone's coming out next week from the estate agents to do an inspection what exactly does that entail :wacko: I'm going out and leaving OH to it lol

Ours just walk round and have a quick look to make sure generally everything is ok. They make a note of the appliances that came with the property, checking they're still working i guess and ask if you have any problems. Ours also took photos of the garden but i guess they're all different. It's usually very quick and nothing exciting! Just make sure things are tidy etc, it's not their place to say but once my friend got told she needs to Hoover more often. Embarrassing! X x

Thanks! I've started scubbing the kitchen and will make my way around the house. I just kind of don't want someone walking around every inch of my bedroom looking at personal stuff etc. lol

They just have a quick look around and ask if everything is ok.

I have never made special effort to clean up before, the letting agent had to step over a "trap" River had made out of cushions and book to get into the dining area :haha:

Obviosly the place is clean and tidy bar the destruction trail left by the kids.

Yeah i wouldn't bother with a special clean, just a tidy! Ours had to climb over giant teddies and cushions we used before we got stairgates ha ha! I always see inspections as a bloody inconvenience though, they can work round us! Once our lady came at nap time, after a few mins talkin about little one and mentioning she was in bed, the lady stomped up the stairs in her heels, banged the bathroom door and turned on the light which starts a really noisy fan. Thanks love!

How often do they tend to do these checks? We have just started renting.

Not looking forward to letting agency poking around!

Ours is every 3 moths but we have solar panels which they need to take readings from which is why its so often.

Ours was 3 months too. I was sure it was 6 before that, maybe they changed it.

It all depends on the agency. Some come once every three months, some six and some annually. The first is usually three months after moving in though.

The purpose behind them is to make sure you haven't destroyed the place by putting holes in walls, etc, not growing drugs, using it for business, brothels etc. Basically it's to make sure you are using the property for it's intended purpose and looking after it properly.

I hate the inspections too. We had one come into the house last time, open the washing machine powder drawer (that doesn't even belong to our landlord-all the white goods are ours!)!and then tell me that it was filthy and she was going to report us to the landlord because we weren't taking care of the house :shock:

Ours are six monthly to annually, really whenever he can be bothered. Last time he started opening my kitchen cupboards because there was nothing on the sides in the kitchen, yep complaining cos it was too tidy :wacko:

OUrs is every 6 months. Last time I forgot and the house was a state, when he arrived I had just thrown a dirty nappy at the front door and run upstairs to get something and it absolutely stunk! When I arrived downstairs there he was stood right next to the nappy in the doorway, I felt so sorry for him. I did apologise and he said don't worry, they're not looking at mess, just to check you've not knocked a wall down or something, or the bathroom isn't falling apart from damp, that sort of thing. In fact, the past two times it has been a mess and both times but I have had a good chat with the inspector each time and they weren't bothered at all. Afterwards we got a letter saying they were coming to reseal the sink, that's the sort of thing they're looking at.

I hate the inspections too. We had one come into the house last time, open the washing machine powder drawer (that doesn't even belong to our landlord-all the white goods are ours!)!and then tell me that it was filthy and she was going to report us to the landlord because we weren't taking care of the house :shock:

Oh God I didn't know they did that, ours is disgusting! Our washing machine is on a high shelf so I can't see in the drawer, I just bung stuff in and hope for the best, and then every now and again OH yells at me for blocking it again and stands at the sink huffing and puffing whilst he cleans it. x

I'm a landlord.
We do our inspections quaterly (every 3 months)
We check that the garden isn't being neglected, that the house isn't being damaged and ask our tenant is finding everything OK, and if there is anything we can do for them.

One of our old neighbours have told us that they think a cat is living in the house (No pets allowed), so we also look for cat any signs/damage that suggests a cat is living there.

My landlord is coming to do an inspection at the end of the month and I am dreading it, he's not very nice.

Ours are pretty good. Don't care about mess, just that we haven't damaged anything / ripped a wall down. Or that we're doing anything that's going to damage the property.

I also do inspections for a friends company and it's the same. You look past the mess and look for damage. So stains etc.

We have our inspections every 3 months. They come first thing (think she drops in before going to the office), she is lovely and we always have a chat etc. She just checks if everything is looked after and asks us about any problems. If my little one is asleep she doesnt go in that room. I always hide things in the cupboard under the stairs and airing cupboard, once she asked to check the water tank and the meters- which are in these cupboards- she saw the funny side of it when she opened them and a load of things fell out! haha!

we have Romans come to do ours. they were horrid, commented that I needed to hoover more often and that the toilet needed cleaning.

Mage commented in the actual inspection notes that the house was untidy too. (I have 3 children under 5 and had spent all week making sure it was pristine!) I was pretty upset. x

ours are 6 monthly. she pokes her head around the door & checks ive not painted the walls a really awful colour or knocked any ways down etc...

askes if i have problems, my last one in June i reported the fridge door broken (selotapped on) the plug hole in the bath needs re sealing, got on going mould problem in the living room & electric shocks from light switches.. all of which are still not fixed.

When I rented it wasnt through an agency we had a landlord who came once a month and was a complete and utter nightmare!
He would tell me how to clean the sinks to make them nicer, told me I shouldnt use pink shampoo as it was making his shower area stain and told me I had to clean the shower after every use!!! I couldnt take it anymore and managed to get money to buy a flat.

From speaking to others this is not the done thing at all and one of myfriends only got hers checked once every 6 months. He even checked under my candles to make sure I wasnt hiding stains....the thought of him makes me so annoyed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->