Private Renting - inspection

Does anyone know what counts are fair "wear and tear" in a private rent? We moved in and May and keep the house clean (ish!!) and have painted again to freshen up the walls. I have a couple of issues which I don't know if they are my responsibility or landlords and if anything will be taken out of our deposit when we moved

Living room carpet - it doesn't look "new" anymore and in front of the sofa looks a bit flatter and walked on. But I hoover it daily and it doesn't have any stains etc. I also wash it with a carpet shampooer every few months. Don't see why this is my responsibility when I have looked after it perfectly well.

Shower curtain - starting to get a bit discoloured at the bottom and has a couple of marks from shampoo or something. I machine washed it but didn't make a difference.

Kitchen floor - the silicone seal between the lino and skirting board is starting to come away.

Shower hose/head is leaking - can I ask the landlord to fix this?

Door handle got stuck so I had to take it off - can I ask the landlord to fix this?

The wallpaper in the kitchen isn't wipe clean so has faded in a couple of places where I've had to scrub it near the sink.

The living room door doesn't close properly anymore :-S The hall door is the same - it seems like they are coming away from the hinges.

The curtains and poles (which were up before we moved it) are hanging off the wall.

The landlord is very much a "home-DIY" type person and I don't think anything (even laying the carpets) was done professionally. I worry that she is going to charge me to professional fix the things which I don't think are my fault (i.e the doors etc.)

Aside from this it's perfect, I have painted the horrible yellow bedrooms a nice cream colour, shampooed all the dirty carpets and replaced 2 carpets which were horrific - stained, worn and smelly (I have kept the old carpets if I am allowed to put them down)

I think you'll be fine. They all sound like general wear and tear/landlords responsibility to me :flower:

Our inspection went fine. We got sent a letter about condensation and damp/mould and how to prevent it but the estate agent agreed with us that it looked like black mould rather than damp caused my condensation (some of it was there when we moved in we thought it was just a bit of damp mould) hopefully we won't be here for much longer anyway.

They usually just have a quick look check your not growing drugs or knocking down walls. Mess and kids stuff wont matter x

just to make sure its clean and tidy and that you haven't wrecked the place lol and that you don't have any problems with anything

Sorry about the capitals !

Does anyone know what counts are fair "wear and tear" in a private rent? We moved in and May and keep the house clean (ish!!) and have painted again to freshen up the walls. I have a couple of issues which I don't know if they are my responsibility or landlords and if anything will be taken out of our deposit when we moved

Living room carpet - it doesn't look "new" anymore and in front of the sofa looks a bit flatter and walked on. But I hoover it daily and it doesn't have any stains etc. I also wash it with a carpet shampooer every few months. Don't see why this is my responsibility when I have looked after it perfectly well. FAIR WEAR AND TEAR

Shower curtain - starting to get a bit discoloured at the bottom and has a couple of marks from shampoo or something. I machine washed it but didn't make a difference. IF A REASONABLE CONDITION I WOULDNT WORRY BUT MAYBE AT THE END OF TENANCY REPLACE IT - ITS NOT THAT MUCH TO DO

Kitchen floor - the silicone seal between the lino and skirting board is starting to come away. FAIR WEAR AND TEAR

Shower hose/head is leaking - can I ask the landlord to fix this? LANDLORD TO FIX

Door handle got stuck so I had to take it off - can I ask the landlord to fix this? COULD YOU DO IT ?

The wallpaper in the kitchen isn't wipe clean so has faded in a couple of places where I've had to scrub it near the sink. FAIR WEAR AND TEAR - NOT FIT FOR PURPOSE NEAR A SINK IF NOT WATERPROOF

The living room door doesn't close properly anymore :-S The hall door is the same - it seems like they are coming away from the hinges. - LANDLORD TO SORT

The curtains and poles (which were up before we moved it) are hanging off the wall. CAN YOU TIGHTEN ? IF NOT LANDLORD TO DEAL

The landlord is very much a "home-DIY" type person and I don't think anything (even laying the carpets) was done professionally. I worry that she is going to charge me to professional fix the things which I don't think are my fault (i.e the doors etc.)

Aside from this it's perfect, I have painted the horrible yellow bedrooms a nice cream colour, shampooed all the dirty carpets and replaced 2 carpets which were horrific - stained, worn and smelly (I have kept the old carpets if I am allowed to put them down)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->