Professor slammed for BF during class

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are conditions to support for everything. I support breastfeeding. Would I support women walking around without tops on to make breastfeeding easier? No I wouldn't. Would I support a woman with a disease transferable by breastmilk in her endeavor to breastfeed her child? Of course not.
It sounds extreme because breastfeeding your child when you're teaching a classroom full of students is extreme.
coerce: to compel by force, intimidation, or authority, especially without regard for individual desire or volition.
Whether you like the language or not, they were coerced into watching and she's lucky she didn't also get slapped with a sexual harassment claim. Like I said- they couldn't leave without it likely affecting their grade, so they would have had to drop the course. They could choose to not watch lecture, but then that discriminates against the students who don't want to watch someone breastfeed, because they paid the same amount of money to attend that lecture and didn't get as much out of it as the students who aren't bothered by it. So they're more likely to watch so that they don't miss the material. That's coercion.

I'm sorry, I'm just amazed. Breastfeeding a child is considered sexual harassment? Did she tie them to their seats? If I remember correctly, I was free to leave my college courses if I needed to. I've nursed in public so many times and people wouldn't even know. She's not masturbating on the desk, for goodness sakes! By saying that she might have been charged with sexual harassment, you are implying that breastfeeding is a sexual act!

The irony here, anthropology class and breastfeeding not being accepted. Clearly students are leaning nothing, yet fine to be on twitter and facebook. In an ideal world that wouldnt even be blinked at. Mountain out of a mole hill as usual.

I'm sorry, I'm just amazed. Breastfeeding a child is considered sexual harassment? Did she tie them to their seats?1. If I remember correctly, I was free to leave my college courses if I needed to. 2. I've nursed in public so many times and people wouldn't even know. She's not masturbating on the desk, for goodness sakes! 3. By saying that she might have been charged with sexual harassment, you are implying that breastfeeding is a sexual act!

1. They were compelled to stay to maintain their grade. She would either be offended and it would affect their grade or they would miss the day's lesson and it would affect their grade.
2. I've nip, too, and no one noticed, but obviously she was not as discrete, because they noticed.
3. Even though I breastfeed, I consider my breasts to still also be sexual organs. If I were to expose them for any reason when my authority compelled others to watch when they didn't want to, I would consider it sexual harassment. They might be lunch to the baby, but they're sexual characteristics to anyone else not on a breastmilk diet.

There are conditions to support for everything. I support breastfeeding. Would I support women walking around without tops on to make breastfeeding easier? No I wouldn't. Would I support a woman with a disease transferable by breastmilk in her endeavor to breastfeed her child? Of course not.
It sounds extreme because breastfeeding your child when you're teaching a classroom full of students is extreme.
coerce: to compel by force, intimidation, or authority, especially without regard for individual desire or volition.
Whether you like the language or not, they were coerced into watching and she's lucky she didn't also get slapped with a sexual harassment claim. Like I said- they couldn't leave without it likely affecting their grade, so they would have had to drop the course. They could choose to not watch lecture, but then that discriminates against the students who don't want to watch someone breastfeed, because they paid the same amount of money to attend that lecture and didn't get as much out of it as the students who aren't bothered by it. So they're more likely to watch so that they don't miss the material. That's coercion.
What planet are you from that breastfeeding is considered sexual harassment? was she breastfeeding an unwilling student?

I'm sorry, I'm just amazed. Breastfeeding a child is considered sexual harassment? Did she tie them to their seats?1. If I remember correctly, I was free to leave my college courses if I needed to. 2. I've nursed in public so many times and people wouldn't even know. She's not masturbating on the desk, for goodness sakes! 3. By saying that she might have been charged with sexual harassment, you are implying that breastfeeding is a sexual act!

1. They were compelled to stay to maintain their grade. She would either be offended and it would affect their grade or they would miss the day's lesson and it would affect their grade.
2. I've nip, too, and no one noticed, but obviously she was not as discrete, because they noticed.
3. Even though I breastfeed, I consider my breasts to still also be sexual organs. If I were to expose them for any reason when my authority compelled others to watch when they didn't want to, I would consider it sexual harassment. They might be lunch to the baby, but they're sexual characteristics to anyone else not on a breastmilk diet.
That answer wouldn't even be accepted in an anthropology class.
That just has to be the most messed up answer I seen on breastfeeding yet. Thankfully your not in charge of anything of no one would be allowed to NIP.

That answer wouldn't even be accepted in an anthropology class.
That just has to be the most messed up answer I seen on breastfeeding yet. Thankfully your not in charge of anything of no one would be allowed to NIP.

I've said before I have no problem with women nursing in public. I don't care if someone accidentally sees my boob when I'm out shopping, as they can look away if they don't like it, so of course I wouldn't consider that sexual harassment. I think I've illustrated how the situation of a professor in charge of student grades and clearly in a position of authority over them is different than most other NIP scenarios. Shoot, if a student in the class had to bring her child and nurse, I'd have no problem with it, since no one needs to look at her if it bothers them. How on earth did you get from that that I wouldn't want anyone to NIP? I would be screwed if I couldn't NIP.

I'm sure the professor wouldn't lower a student's grade because they stepped out if they were uncomfortable. To me, that should cause more of an uproar.

I was under the impression breasts were considered sexual because the abundance of nerve endings present there endow them with the ability to result in significant sexual pleasure when given attention during intercourse and sexual encounters.

I'm sure the professor wouldn't lower a student's grade because they stepped out if they were uncomfortable. To me, that should cause more of an uproar.

It would if it were a catch-able offense. I'm sure it wouldn't show up on the gradebook as "-3 for walking out during little Johnny's lunch". The problem is that you have no way of knowing if she does get offended and lowers the grade, so if you get up and leave, you'll have to drop the course and you might have needed it to graduate. Not to mention when you finally take it again, it's just going to be the same professor. The exams and homework are likely full of open-ended questions, it's really easy to lower the grade of someone you just don't like.

Also, it's really not fair that they'd have to miss the class if they were uncomfortable-- why should the students not bothered by it get more for their money? That's why the class should have been cancelled.

Now you're saying the professor would have used her position of "power" to lower a student's grade?!?! I'm really confused by your train of logic here. I think you must have some issue with professors in general.

1. Now you're saying the professor would have used her position of "power" to lower a student's grade?!?! I'm really confused by your train of logic here. 2. I think you must have some issue with professors in general.

1. Happens all the time. I'm a grad student. I've taught, been taught, graded for professors, listened to them whine about terrible students, etc. And do you know what happens when I'm not sure how to score an answer and I ask them how much credit I should give? The first thing they do is ask whose test it is. Because how much credit they decide to give the answer is going to be determined by how much they like the student, whether the student was in class a lot, whether they think the student tried hard. Grading is very subjective, even when they don't realize they're doing it.
2. I love professors, actually. My bosses are some of the nicest people I've ever met.

1) Breasts are both sexual and non-sexual. I make the distinction. I doubt the professor was waving her breasts around in class.

2) If a student at my college felt they were being graded unjustly, they had the right to contest it.

He can contest it-- good luck with that, as it rarely does anything unless there's been a miscalculation. To get a grade changed, the student has to be able to prove that his answers deserved higher marks. Unless he's got the exact same answer as his neighbor and his neighbor got a better grade, it's impossible to do for open ended tests. If he decides to bring up at that point that he thinks it's because he walked out while she was breastfeeding, then we're just changing when the shyt hits the fan for her nursing while teaching- and it still could have been avoided by her maintaining more professional conduct.

I wanted to add that the professor told her students she was going to feed and anyone who was uncomfortable could leave without consequence....sooooo MommyJogger, your argument about grading kinda goes out the window.

I wanted to add that the professor told her students she was going to feed and anyone who was uncomfortable could leave without consequence....sooooo MommyJogger, your argument about grading kinda goes out the window.

I am sorry I think this is totally ridiculous. She is a teacher teaching students and those students are paying for an education and you decide to breast-feed in the middle of that> I guess I must be on planet stupid cause it does not make sense to me :nope:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"