Professor slammed for BF during class

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some really don't understand logic.

If she leaves her child at a daycare/minded normally, she is obviously not there to breastfeed while working

It is logical to assume then that she provides breast milk/other liquids during such stay

It is therefore logical to assume she really should have had other arrangements for food if she brought her child in to work. Moms who pump have the next days food lined up ready to go if they're going to work that day.

BUT that's besides the point. It isn't about her "right" to breastfeed. It's about whether or not her actions were appropriate. And they were not.

Just because you are a huge advocate for breastfeeding does not mean that it is appropriate to subject everyone else to watch her do it in front of them when they are supposed to give her their attention. It is fine if it makes others uncomfortable. That doesn't mean they are anti breastfeeding. Maybe they just don't want to see their professors boobs.

And why should they have to walk out on something they paid money to learn because the professor couldn't act in a professional manner? It was very unfair of her to put them in that position.

Having an active baby in the classroom would make me mad. I think for some the breastfeeding was just the final straw.

I don't know quite how to say this, but using the word "bottle" in a sentence without a barrage of insults attached to it does not make a person anti-breastfeeding. Baby bottles can contain a variety of substances and are quite commonly found in daycares and used by loving mothers all over the world.

And yet again, this is not a breast/bottle issue. An active toddler roaming a classroom causing a distraction is inappropriate with a bottle, breast, pacifier, sipply cup, rattle, chew toy, lollipop, ice cream cone or champagne glass in it's hand.

Just wanted to add, just because it's legal to breastfeed in public doesn't mean it's always appropriate. I have the right to carry a gun, technically go topless and speak my mind without a filter but if I did any of those at work they'd have the right to fire me because those things just like bringing a baby and breastfeeding in a class should not happen. Because it's inappropriate and workplaces have different rules than public places.

As a mum who bfs in public pretty much every day and is a big supporter of breastfeeding, I still think this was inappropriate. The baby shouldnt have been there in the first place, its not fair on the students or the baby for that matter. The students deserve undivided attention as does a sick baby. As for breastfeeding, although I find it beautiful and natural i am fully aware that it might make an 18 year old boy uncomfortable, and her students shouldnt have to feel that way in their classroom. If you dont feel comfortable with it, i'd imagine it would be really distracting in a lecture theatre. At least out in the world, people dont have to look at you if they dont want to.

The problem is that the baby shouldn't have been in the class, firstly because, those students are paying A LOT of money and deserve the full attention of their professor and secondly because surely theres several health and safety risks here and surely a sick baby,should be at home. Who cares about cancelling a class if there baby is ill?. The BF-ing however, shouldn't be important. Would they mind if she'd brought her child and fed it a sarnie? No.

That's kinda the only reason this is getting any attention though.

Of course it is. It's not everyday your professor is BFing in class... :shrug:

What I mean is if she just had the kid in class, would anyone know? It's only because she breastfed that anyone cares.

Of course it is but it does bring with it lots of questions. Bfing does not give you the right to do whatever you want, unquestioned by everyone. A child should not be brought to a lecture hall. Would those who say it is okay feel the same if your child's teacher brought their baby to the classroom? Or your doctor? Or your joiner? When you are paid to do a job then I do believe that you should give it your whole attention. Looking after a child, never mind bfing, while lecturing is not giving your job your attention. If she could not find childcare then she should have stayed at home with her baby who was, afterall, too poorly for nursery. It matters not if she bfing, bottle feeding or using a sippy cup. If you want to be seen as professional then I really think there is no place for a child in ths vast majoriry of workplaces.

My point is, why do people care about this at all? Why was it brought to anyone's attention? Because one student tweeted it. :shrug:

If it was a pretty young baby..I don't really see why there would be a problem, it would probably sleep the majority of the time apart from when feeding..which although maybe distracting, could be done discreetly needing little attention from the mum (this would be either bottle or breastfeeding btw)...but with a toddler it's completely different..from what has been said the baby was already being a distraction by eating paper clips or whatever and being fully mobile.. which would mean her full attention could not be on the class people are paying to hear and relying on to learn, and her attention would also be away from her sick child. To me, it has nothing to do with whether she was breastfeeding, bottle feeding or not even feeding her at all (I know to the person who tweeted it, it was about the breastfeeding, but to others that can't have been the only problem) it's the fact that with a toddler..it is impossible to give full attention to anything else and she is just not doing her job. The whole 'single mother trying to make it' doesn't make any sense...she is not paid per class...she would still receive her annual salary and could just reschedule the class, or like others have said i'm sure someone in the department would happily occupy her whilst her mum teaches.

I have to agree with indy and laura. It clearly says the child was too ill for nursery, so why could she not cancel and rearrange the lecture for a later date? If my children are ill I have to take time of work. Simple. I have no problem with BFing in public for me that isn't the issue. The issue is bringing a baby to her work when they are ILL and not having her full attention on her job. A child that is ill should be at home IMO not in a full lecture theatre while their mother works x

Do you honestly think it was professional for her to bring a 1 yr old into class when sick Ozzie. Forget breastfeeding- that was the final straw for the students. As a mom, dont you think her attention should be on a feverish child vs a class she could have easily cancelled as other profs/teachers on here have stated?

And yeah people should care about a huge lapse in professional judgement.

I agree with whats been said above, Breastfeeding is a wonderful thing that i support whole heartedly. But thats irrelavent. The fact is, she shouldn't bring her child into work with her that way. Noway could i focus on any career if i had my one year old with me. Those kids are paying for her undivided attention and also, if her child was too ill for daycare, she shouldn't be dragging her to work either.

I wouldn't be bothered. I've had professors bring their kids to class before.

I just fail to understand why a mum would take a child that is ill to a class she is teaching. If a child is too ill to be at nursery then IMO they need to be taken care of at home where they can rest, relax and generally get better x

My point is, why do people care about this at all? Why was it brought to anyone's attention? Because one student tweeted it. :shrug:

People care because it is not professional and pretty ridiculous. It does not show working women in a very good light when they are seen to not being focussed on the job they are paid for.

Many things we hear about now would not have made the news 20 years ago but social media has changed how news is reported. You could say 'Why do people care?' about most things but it is human nature to be interested/debate/ discuss.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"