Professor slammed for BF during class

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not really. She said that, but how can you know she actually means it? Even if she didn't mean to change their grade because of it, it would probably lower her opinion of that student, which could end up being worth a few points each exam. Not to mention, once again, that it's not fair for part of the class to get more for their money just because NIP doesn't bother them.

The baby was fussing and needed fed. She warned the students and gave them the chance to leave. She's a single mother trying to make a living for her and her child. Makes sense to me

The baby was fussing and needed fed. She warned the students and gave them the chance to leave. She's a single mother trying to make a living for her and her child. Makes sense to me

It doesn't matter that she is a single mother trying to make a living so are 10 million others, they don't do that, like I said I understand she had to bring the baby in there, the right thing to do is excuse yourself and feed your child, not give anyone a choice to leave, you leave, that is the professional thing to do .

Like I said before, a college professor isn't going to be fired for cancelling one class. The "making a living" argument is pointless here.

I'm sure that some of the people upset in this thread will say that this doesn't matter, but this was not a "newborn". It was a 1 year old little girl.

I'm sure that some of the people upset in this thread will say that this doesn't matter, but this was not a "newborn". It was a 1 year old little girl.

Good lord.( Thanks for that info)............. I am pretty much done, I gave my opinion and this is just how i feel. I have NO problem with women breast-feeding, I think it a natural and beautiful thing, but not in the workplace / Everyone have a great day!!!

Damn right. Who cares if it was a baby or a one year old girl? You know the WHO recommends BFing up to age two.

I'm on ozzie side on this one. I can't believe more mothers of all people are not backing her up. She didn't feel she had another choice, and she thought personally she would have cheated the students out more by cancelling class. All those people are in college, I'm sure they have seen a boob before. Things like this need to happen to make it more seen and common. I applause her for being so brave and nursing on the spot that takes guts! Lol

This story is more than it appears.

This is how this woman describes herself:
militant anthropologist against the corporatocracy

Her twitter posts are available online. This is absolutely a publicity stunt.
In her writings about the incident, she says that her baby was crawling on the floor at one point, and a male student said, "Professor, your baby has a paper clip in his mouth." Because the baby is in fact a girl, she describes this incident as some sort of gender bias attack. I had lots of professors like this in college in the early '90's during the height of politically correct movement in the US. (all sex is rape, women being spelled "womyn", raging lectures about the white male power structure, disinfranchisement of practically everyone....) makes me tired thinking about it, and I'm actually a rather liberal person. But not the type that goes to this extreme, because I do not come from the kind of priviledge that usually fosters the guilt to make one so radicalized and full of self loathing for their white skin while at the same time proclaiming downtrodden status for having a vagina. I just got really tired again. I don't think I miss being in college at all anymore.

Very unprofessional. Would a business woman breastfeed her child in the middle of a presentation??? You have a babysitter or you don't go. I breastfeed but would never do so in. Professional setting. I wouldn't take my kid to work either. If the kid is one could she not have offered it a snack of some sort???

So? something wrong with breastfeeding a 1 year old?

Gentle reminder after a couple of reports. Topic is within the debates forum so everyone is entitled to their own opinions and these will vary.

Dear lord... Very unprofessional. She had other options such as using a grad student to watch the baby. The baby was 1 so the baby could have eaten a meal instead or even at 1 had A few ounces of water/juice/cows milk in this circumstance.

I would be upset if my professor brought in a baby to a lecture. I don't pay thousands of dollars to be distracted by a baby then feel uncomfortable having to maintain attention when she was feeding. Let's face it. The baby is distracting to both the students and the professor. I highly doubt she gave 100% of her attention to do the job she is paid to do.

I have zero issues with women breast-feeding in public. Zero. Because if I realize they are doing it, I smile and can look away because even though my whole family breastfed, they did it in private not while holding conversations or "on stage". Of course breastfeeding is natural. So is peeing. Or doing your hair. But I don't want a professional doing it during the time I paid for.

And yes boobs are both sexual and a source for food. But to a young college male, he may have trouble distinguishing between the two. And it's not just because of the media. Breasts have always been desirable sexually to men because it subconsciously signifies fertility.

I can't stand when people say boobs aren't sexual when breastfeeding. Yes obviously to you they aren't, my boobs don't feel the least bit sexy right now. However, it doesn't change that for everyone. I mean when I'm peeing my vagina isn't sexual to me but if I did that in front of a room full of college students my vagina could be seen as sexual. Breastfeeding to me is a very special act between me and my son. It is Not an opportunity for me to make a stir or get media attention. If that's what she is doing Ben shame on her I say. She isn't making people more comfortable with bf. she is making it look bad.

I did not go back to teaching for 3 years after E was born but had I gone back while still BF it would have been highly inappropriate for me to bring her into class and feed her. The Professor should have taken the day off to look after her child. She is not giving the students, who are paying through the nose for the privilege of attending her classes, her full attention while she is looking after her child. It is the least they deserve.

For me, the breastfeeding part is irrelevant. The fact that she took her 1 year old into work is highly unprofessional imo. The whole 'I had no other option' doesn't wash with me. She did have an option, the same option every other person generally does which is take the day off.

When I was at Uni, if a lecturer brought in their child in, I would have been furious. I had the decency to turn up to learn & not to put up with a lecturer being distracted with a toddler, same with all her students.

Yes, of course they could have walked out if they felt uncomfortable, but quite frankly they should have never been put that situation in the first place.

They pay an awful lot of money to be there & I don't think it's unreasonable to expect to get 100% of the lecturer's/Prof's attention during that lesson.

The significance of the child being over the age of 1 is the fact that this means this was a highly mobile toddler. By her account, during class the child got a paper clip in its mouth and headed toward a light socket.
This was not a small newborn lying sleeping somewhere. This was a toddler that had no place in the classroom.

Besides if this is a child that is normally in daycare, what does she eat in daycare? Does the professor leave class to breastfeed, or does she send pumped bottles? Which obviously means if she sends bottles to daycare, she could have brought one to class.

But truly, the issue here isn't about breastfeeding or bottle feeding, or the WHO; it's about children in the workplace which is inappropriate in this situation.

If it's not the issue, why did you mention that she could have brought a bottle, vintage?

There are certain situations and scenarios in which breastfeeding your child is awkward and inappropriate to those around you. This is one of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"