Progesterone supplement question

Discussion in 'Pregnancy - First Trimester' started by animekoneko17, Jun 4, 2013.

1. animekoneko17

animekoneko17 Well-Known Member

I just found out that I am pregnant this past Sunday! I have had m/c in the past and I am worried that I may have a progesterone deficiency. My doctor said it is common to accompany PCOS and that the clomid should help with keeping the progesterone high for TTC. I went in for blood work, just to check, on Friday, but since I am pregnant, I am wondering what my progesterone levels are doing and if they could be responsible for the previous m/c. Since I have had these m/c, my doctor has me coming in today to see 'what's up.' He's a bit young for a doctor... anyway I'm going to ask him if I can take progesterone supplements for the first trimester. Has anyone done this? Could it cause problems to the little bean?

2. Pers

Pers Well-Known Member

I just started them. If progesterone is the problem, supplements will help. If progesterone isn't the problem, supplements won't hurt. Many doctors won't give them unless you have a history of miscarriages (usually three) and/or documented low progesterone but it never hurts to ask!

3. jenniferttc1

jenniferttc1 mommy of 1 baking #2

Progestrone supplements will only help, never harm.
    I took 200mg twice a day with my son cause my levels were at and 8 at 5 weeks.
    This pregnancy my levels were much higher, but I'm taking a small 100mg once a day for a peace of mind. I carried on with my son a very smooth pregnancy and delivery to healthy baby!

4. britt1986

britt1986 Well-Known Member

I had a MC in 2006 and the doc said it was due to low progesterone. In 2009 I became pregnant with my son and took 100mg prometrium twice a day until I was 12 weeks. I had blood drawn once a week to check my levels and all was good. I am pregnant again and am on the same progesterone intake and so far so good. Either way,,, ,, ,

5. lw0619

lw0619 Well-Known Member

i take progesterone every day just for precaution. i have a friend with pcos and she took progesterone too. she has a healthy boy about 2 years old now! so its totally fine to take :)

6. mnicole

mnicole Well-Known Member

I am on Prometrium during the first trimester, just as a precaution as well. To be honest, I have no idea if my progesterone levels were even checked, and if so I have no idea what they were. I have looked into this, a LOT, as well, and as far as I have researched, no harm can be done to baby, it's basically just back up (in my case). However, I think depending on your dosage, it may be ROUGH on you. I am on a high dosage, 60mg a day (although recently cut myself down to 400 at week 11), and it has been a rough ride. Now, that being said, it might just be pregnancy symptoms and a fluke that they seem worse with this pregnancy than my previous. I have had zero energy, from about 10am until my work day is over, I struggle to keep my eyes open. All day nausea, although not a lot of puking. INSANELY bloated, as in, at 11 weeks, I look around 5 months!! And I am a LOT more emotional and moody this time around. As I said though, this could all be a complete coincidence, as every pregnancy is different from the other! Good luck to you, I know that once I started the Prometrium, it really helped put my mind at ease!

7. animekoneko17

animekoneko17 Well-Known Member

Well, my progesterone levels were good and I am going back next Friday for more blood work and an ultrasound. My doctor said he'll check my progesterone levels again, but that it doesn't look like I need it. :) Though, that still leaves me a bit anxious... I'm learning how to do yoga to relax. If anyone else is doing it, does it work? It seems a bit boring to me...