Question about OH being Best Man at a wedding update pg#5

smileyfaces

Reaction score
He is best man for a wedding coming up soon and has gone to get his suit sorted today. The suit is costing £135 and the bride and groom have said they will pay 35 of it and that OH is to pay the other hundred. Is it just me that thinks that is extremely cheeky? Btw, the groom is having two best men (why, I will never know!!) and the other best man is also being asked to pay the hundred quid on his too.

I'm pissed off with the whole thing, Ive not even been invited despite knowing the groom for ten years!! Because the bride doesn't like me (and the feeling is mutual) .

So, is it normal for the best man to have to pay for his own suit?

What? Unless yourself & the bride have had a major falling out, & not because she just has a "dislike" towards you, why the heck arent you invited??

As for the suit, my OH was an usher a few weeks back at his little brothers wedding, not only was it the other end of the UK (we are in Southampton, wedding was in Aberdeen) so we had to pay hotels/car hire/flights etc, we were also asked to pay for his suit. I dont think its that unusual. I hate weddings grrr...

As far as I know it is usual for the best man to pay for their suit. It sucks that you aren't invited, how akward for the groom!

Do they have to buy them? Can't they rent? In my experience the suit is always paid for, but I don't think I would be overly put out if hubby had to pay out, my bridesmaids found it odd that we paid for their dresses, it took me a while to convince them not to put anything towards them!

As for you not being invited, now that is weird, that would piss me off big time!! Fancy not inviting the best man's partner???!!!!

And I agree, it is ridiculous how much it costs to go to a wedding these days, especially with hen WEEKENDS. My brother is getting married this September, I am bridesmaid, hubby is an usher, and the boys are ushers too, they're paying for all our clothes but we did the same for them when we married. Thankfully it'll be a cheaper wedding than normal for us, except petrol! (But I'm excited for this hen do lol).

If the suit is being bought and it's a suit he can wear again, I wouldn't be too annoyed at having to pay for it, if it's a good quality suit. However if it's for hire or a very 'weddingy' suit then I would be unimpressed.

Can't believe you haven't been invited.

I just think its plain cheeky to ask people to pay for their own stuff for their wedding!!

No, not a major falling out, just a mutual disliking! We havent spoken a word to each other in about three years. They havent even invited the kids (even though i know that other kids have been invited). my OH has been best mates with the groom for 16 years, Ive known him well for ten years and Ive known the bride for about four or five years.

I think unfortunatly its getting more common these days as weddings are getting mire expensive and people have even less cash! However if your asking for someone to pay for their own suit/dress then said person should gave a say in what they're buying, how much they're spending and what they're wearing! For our wedding my bridesmaid knew when i 1st asked her (so had the chioce to say she couldnt afford to) and i just said please make it blue other than that the choice was hers. Same for the suits - all our guys had black suits already so we asked them to wear those and we bought shirts and ties.
I also think if he's having to pay £100 towards it heshiuld have mire than 1 days wear out of it! We bought my hubbys from Moss Bros for £130 and its his, not worn before or have to be taken back afterwards! Xx

Oh and my OH has arranged and PAID for the grooms stag do for him to go away for three days in amsterdam!!!!!!

OH's best man wore his own suit and so paid for it but we didn't specify what he had to wear. I think it was a work suit.

If they are expecting suits to match the wedding party and not just a black suit then I really don't think that they should ask others to have to buy them.
As for you not being invited, I'd be cross that dh was even going let alone best man, buying the suit and paying for a stag do!
Xx

Just to clarify, I think it will be unlikely he will wear it again, he hasnt got a say in which suit he buys and certainly didnt have a say in the cost.

We only found out today that me and the kids arent invited.

We paid for the suits/bridesmaids outfits for our wedding...thought that was normal!

Tbh, I think my DH would decline being a best man if he knew me & the kids weren't invited to the wedding.

Ohh hes not happy about it all but what can he do?! He cant not go! Im not bothered if Im honest, Im going watching Tom Jones instead :lol: bought tickets this afternoon :haha:

I've always known it that the bride and groom pay for the bridal party's outfits. We hired suits for the men and bought the 2 bridesmaid dresses. Why should you have to pay for their wedding? Plus I wouldn't expect someone to but something they hadn't picked.

All the hens I've been to all the participants pay a bit more so the bride goes free but it's spread amongst everyone.

I'd be raging at not getting invited!

Weddings are expensive. Here, it is customary for bridesmaids/groomsmen to pay for their own stuff. Also, the best man and maid of honor pay and host the bachelor/bachelorette parties.

When me and oh get married his best man will have to pay for his suit but i doubt it would be that much

In my experience, if you specify you want bridesmaids/groomsmeen to wear something, you pay for it, if you leave it up to them, they do. So we paid for our groomsmens suits, so they all matched, but they chose their own ties. When dh was a best man, they didn't mind what suit he wore so he got his own.

As for not being invited - i'd be beyond pissed. If it was flipped, and i was maid of honour and they told me dh and kids weren't invited, i'd decline (unless it was made clear from the start it was a very small wedding or something)

We paid for the best man suit as well as the bridesmaid dresses. One of my bridesmaids lives in a different country, so we paid for her flights for the dress fitting as well as for her flights to the wedding. I'm not a believer of asking anyone to pay for their own stuff if they're doing you a favour. Don't get me wrong, I'd pay and not make a scene but I definitely wouldn't be happy about it.

As for not being invited, that's just not on in my opinion and I'd totally still show up. You can not invite 1 half of a couple!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->