Rant - Feeling so hopeless about sleep!

Hahaha if someone wrote that about a Harriet (my name) I would laugh too. I love the name joni but since having her I have realised how few people can pronounce it! It is not as well known as I thought.

I have got high hopes for tonight because last night she did a 3 hour stretch and I reckon she can do it again!

Good luck guys :)

Hahaha if someone wrote that about a Harriet (my name) I would laugh too. I love the name joni but since having her I have realised how few people can pronounce it! It is not as well known as I thought.

I have got high hopes for tonight because last night she did a 3 hour stretch and I reckon she can do it again!

Wait, how do pronounce Joni? I was saying "Joan-ee" in my head. Is that right? Or is it like "Johnny"?

Wait, how do pronounce Joni? I was saying "Joan-ee" in my head. Is that right? Or is it like "Johnny"?

Yeah like joanie. A lot of people do say jonny though x

Good luck MrsPear!

Charlotte missed her 3rd nap again today... My DH just put her down at around 5pm. I never know what to do at that point. Nap or bedtime? I'm just so, so tired today AND I have to work late and probably won't see LO. Yuck. Here's hoping for an okay night.

Hope you guys all get some sleep tonight. I had noticed before that Sofia sleeps better if I spend half the day walking around with her which is what I did today. Just came back from 3 hours of shopping, lmao! Xmas sales were too tempting.

She's napped very well today (2 hours in the morning, an hour during shopping and has been asleep now for 30+ mins). Here's hoping that she'll sleep tonight. I have a long day planned for us tomorrow so I need the energy.

Hope you guys all get some sleep tonight. I had noticed before that Sofia sleeps better if I spend half the day walking around with her which is what I did today. Just came back from 3 hours of shopping, lmao! Xmas sales were too tempting.

She's napped very well today (2 hours in the morning, an hour during shopping and has been asleep now for 30+ mins). Here's hoping that she'll sleep tonight. I have a long day planned for us tomorrow so I need the energy.

I hope she sleeps well for you too!

Charlotte tends to sleep better whenshe has lots of stimulation between naps, too. The exception was last Saturday night. She had good naps and went swimming, but woke hourly oddly enough! And I thought swimming was supposed to help kids sleep. Only my kid :dohh:

mm that is something I could definitely improve on, her stimulation between naps. I need to try this.

I was reading how many of us have either nap issues in the evening...drives me nuts! Her bedtime is usually around 7....lately she has been wanting to take a nap at 5:30! That seems early to me for bedtime. I know in Healthy Sleep Habits, Dr. W says some kids need an early bedtime, but that would be hard for us to pull off.

Working mamas, how do you do it???? lol I am dreading it.....every night I pray she will go longer between feeds. The downside to BFing is the lack of assistance I can get at night- and currently she is being finicky with bottles and at times will even refuse them.

Girls is this normal - lying awake even when LO is asleep?

When he was a newborn I was like this and couldn't switch off as I knew he'd be up for feeds. I am a light sleeper and found it tough. At 11weeks he sttn after dream feeding and slowly it got better like I could relax a bit more and sleep through. Since we've been regressing its the inconsistency that really gets to me! Like earlier this week he slept 7.30pm until 7.30am no wake ups! But more often he's been fussy on and off from 4.30 or 5 until I get him up. Because I never know what it will be I tend to wake constant myself too. Last night I was awake every hour!! (LO was asleep). Granted I'm staying at my mum's in a single bed so that prob didn't help....

Just wanting to know I'm normal and there's not something wrong going on...

Working mamas, how do you do it???? lol I am dreading it.....every night I pray she will go longer between feeds. The downside to BFing is the lack of assistance I can get at night- and currently she is being finicky with bottles and at times will even refuse them.

I was soo worried about work, but it turns out that going to work on a regular basis is often easier than caring for a baby all day long. Go figure! At least MY baby :dohh:

Girls is this normal - lying awake even when LO is asleep?

When he was a newborn I was like this and couldn't switch off as I knew he'd be up for feeds. I am a light sleeper and found it tough. At 11weeks he sttn after dream feeding and slowly it got better like I could relax a bit more and sleep through. Since we've been regressing its the inconsistency that really gets to me! Like earlier this week he slept 7.30pm until 7.30am no wake ups! But more often he's been fussy on and off from 4.30 or 5 until I get him up. Because I never know what it will be I tend to wake constant myself too. Last night I was awake every hour!! (LO was asleep). Granted I'm staying at my mum's in a single bed so that prob didn't help....

Just wanting to know I'm normal and there's not something wrong going on...

Every time I see your avatar, it makes me smile... Jack is just so freakin cute!

I think what you are experiencing is quite normal, especially considering since sleep is inconsistant. If you do an internet search for "postpartum insomnia", you will find quite a bit of information. I think it's partially hormonal, but it's also psychological -- if you're not sure how long you will be able to sleep, it's tough to really relax. I totally smpathize and wish I had an answer for you! My husband doesn't understand how I can lay in bed from 7:30pm until 5:30 am and only sleep for four hours or so (my LO isn't the best sleeper, but she's not up THAT much). I've totally had those nights where I'm up hourly when she's only waking once or twice, usually following a really bad night and I'm on edge.

I have been told by other moms that this goes away, but I'm almost 6 months in and I haven't had that experience. Obviously at some point we'll be able to sleep the night again, but for me I think it might take awhile.

For the past month my LO has been waking just a few hours after bedtime - anywhere between 8pm and 10pm. This is KILLING me. I usually don't feed and just try to soothe her back to sleep,b ut I find it very confusing as to why she's doing it. I think that is my "least favorite" waking. It's frustrating because she used to sleep 7pm to 3am or 4am. And even when she woke earlier, it was closer to midnight.

I hate to compare, but even my friends with babies that don't sleep well generally give them a 5 or 6 hour stretch at the beginning of the night. I'd really like to try and eliminate this waking. Like I've said before, I'm not even interested in STTN at this point, just some progress instead of backsliding. Any tips?

For the past month my LO has been waking just a few hours after bedtime - anywhere between 8pm and 10pm. This is KILLING me. I usually don't feed and just try to soothe her back to sleep,b ut I find it very confusing as to why she's doing it. I think that is my "least favorite" waking. It's frustrating because she used to sleep 7pm to 3am or 4am. And even when she woke earlier, it was closer to midnight.

I hate to compare, but even my friends with babies that don't sleep well generally give them a 5 or 6 hour stretch at the beginning of the night. I'd really like to try and eliminate this waking. Like I've said before, I'm not even interested in STTN at this point, just some progress instead of backsliding. Any tips?

Does she settle herself at the beginning of the night? If she can, I would guess that somethng is bothering her like her teeth. If Quinn does that and will take a bottle I feed him in the hope that he won't want food in the night. If he wakes up twice in the evening then I would give him some calpol and teething powder x

Could she need a burp? This is sometimes the reason why Clara wakes earlier than usual. I think babies are all just different. My son was a terrible sleeper but at Clara's age he was doing a long stretch at the start of the evening, e.g. 8.30 p.m. to 1.30 a.m. Clara is a good sleeper but she doesn't do a long stretch of sleep at all, she goes to sleep at 6.30/7 and then wakes every three hours pretty much on the dot throughout the night until 6.30/7 the next morning. Also sleep does tend to go backwards and forwards. Thomas slept quite well from 5 months to 6 months before going through a big regression and waking up all the time again.

Re insomnia - I never got back to sleeping as well as I did before having a child, even when my son was reliably sleeping through for a year. I would still usually wake up briefly several times through the night and would not always get back to sleep quickly. Now I have a newborn again but I don't really feel like my sleep is that much more disturbed than before I had her!

Does she settle herself at the beginning of the night? If she can, I would guess that somethng is bothering her like her teeth. If Quinn does that and will take a bottle I feed him in the hope that he won't want food in the night. If he wakes up twice in the evening then I would give him some calpol and teething powder x

Joni is the same. I put her to bed, normally feed her once, twice, three times before I go to bed. So far I don't have a resolution (sorry). But she doesn't always do it- she can sleep from 7ish to 10ish when I always feed her before I go to bed. So I wonder if it might be teething related? As it comes and goes like I've heard teething pain does. Hope it goes away for you soon xx

Ashlynn does the same thing!! Goes to bed between 6 and 7. Depending on her last nap and always wake at 10 for a feed, then usually 2 and 5 and 7 before getting up at 8. Last night she was up from 1:30-3 laughing and smiling like something was funny... Nothing is funny at that hour in the morning!! The night before she did that from 9:30-10:30... Not sure what's up with that?!

I think what you are experiencing is quite normal, especially considering since sleep is inconsistant. If you do an internet search for "postpartum insomnia", you will find quite a bit of information. I think it's partially hormonal, but it's also psychological -- if you're not sure how long you will be able to sleep, it's tough to really relax. I totally smpathize and wish I had an answer for you! My husband doesn't understand how I can lay in bed from 7:30pm until 5:30 am and only sleep for four hours or so (my LO isn't the best sleeper, but she's not up THAT much). I've totally had those nights where I'm up hourly when she's only waking once or twice, usually following a really bad night and I'm on edge.

I have been told by other moms that this goes away, but I'm almost 6 months in and I haven't had that experience. Obviously at some point we'll be able to sleep the night again, but for me I think it might take awhile.

When my LO was a slightly more reliable sleeper and would have a stretch of at least 5 hours at the beginning of the night, I would take some melatonin or a half dose of Benadryl after I put her down so that I would actually get some sleep too. It was really helpful for me. But of course now she might be up in just a couple of hours so I would rather not be groggy trying to put her back down :wacko:

She had another good night though (by recent standards, anyway). Bedtime was a little drawn out because she didn't want to nurse down but she quietly self-settled around 8:20 then only woke at 1:30 and 4 to nurse before being up for the day at 6. If this pattern continues I think I'm going to work on gradually shortening that first feed in the hopes of helping it get pushed back again, but I'm probably getting ahead of myself...

You're not alone. :( My once amazing sleeper (from 10 weeks up until about 5 months) has gone back to being a horrible sleeper. I guess at least I got a few months of nice nights. I thought maybe it was just a random thing that would get better within a week, well, it's been like this for almost a month and I'm exhausted 24/7. I have so much trouble getting out of bed in the morning because I'm so tired. I have persistent headaches that hurt really bad right behind my eyes. I don't know what to do. :(

He wakes up about every 2 hours, sometimes every hour. I have my wireless keyboard on the bed (laptop hooked up to my tv, ultimate lazy setup here). He wakes up and plays with the keyboard, or he hits me, he flails around, punches, grabs, claws. When I'm dead tired it takes a lot to be patient with this! I thought going back to bed sharing would help him sleep, but instead I'm a huge punching bag.

I know he's teething, and he's trying to learn how to crawl, but I'm just ready for this to end. :( It's a mixture of wonder weeks, teething, and sleep regression, and it's so awful. I've debated doing sleep training myself, but I know that he can't help the teething pain, so I just cuddle. He's awful to deal with during the day now too, I have to carry him all day and if I put him down he gets really fussy. He's just not as happy as he used to be, and I miss it. :(

In order to get him to nap, he has to nurse through all of it. So I get a baby attached to my boob for 2 hours at a pop sometimes during the day. I can't get anything done, and I have finals coming up. My DH works 70 hour weeks so I can't wait for him to watch the baby. I'm going out of my mind!

Last night to prove to my DH that he's been waking up a lot and to show why I'm so exhausted, I took a couple of videos. You may even hear DH somehow snoring through it. :dohh: The first one is dark, he had gotten ahold of the keyboard when he woke up and started playing with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4toE_xK7snc&feature=youtu.be

This second one I used the flash. You can see him flailing and hitting me, and you can see dark circles under his eyes. Clearly he's very tired!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijCxJ-QSNa8&feature=youtu.be

I just want one day where I do nothing but sleep. William will drink out of a shot glass (I'm awful I know) but nothing else, tempting to give DH some pumped milk and a shot glass and hand him the baby when he has off for the holiday next week. :sleep: Mommy needs sleep!

uuugh another bad-ish night. Let her self settle for about 2 min, then she woke 45 min later. Let her resettle, but then woke 30 min later. After that I was done and took her to bed with me. I have found if she's with me in bed, the only reason she can't self settle is from a wet diaper.

But then she peed so much last night it leaked all over our bed (luckily I have a waterproof thing over our mattress!)

I just don't get it, why after 45 min, then 30 min? I think I partially understand her 45 min wakings, its like one sleep cycle. But 30 min isn't even a complete sleep cycle.

Arrrrrrgggghhhh

She does, that's the crazy thing! I can put her to bed awake and she'll happily chat to herself until she falls asleep.

I think the PP mentioning her reflux may be on to something. We go back to the doctor after Thanksgiving (which is next week), so here's hoping we can work on a plan.

I also wonder if teething is an issue. She kept spitting out her pacifier last night, which is unusual for her. I am going to try some tylenol tonight (basically our version of calpol).

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->