Readybrek

charlottesmum

Reaction score
Hi,

I've been giving Chalotte baby breakfast (creamy oats one by Heinz), I tasted it and it tastes exactly like readybrek which is much cheaper and I can buy a big box of it! Is it ok to give to babys? She will be 6 months on the 30th,

xxx

Judging by some of the news stories i have just read, i would now say Ready Brek is a big no-no.

V xxxx

Ready break is full of salt i wouldnt change until 9 months but thats my personal choice x

Ready Brek is NOT recommended for babies as it definitely contains salt....check this link out (it's a bit sad so beware:cry:)

https://www.guardian.co.uk/Archive/Article/0,4273,3887145,00.html

I remember hearing this story and it has always stuck in my mind. So sad.

God I'm glad I saw this as I was wondering if you could give ready brek to babies or not x

I think the salt has actually been really reduced now. That news story was from 1999, almost 10 years ago! Alasdair has it occasionally. Not like I'm gonna give him smash or bisto though.

Yes the recipe for ready brek has changed so it now has much less salt (weetabix recipe has changed too btw) and if you make it up with whole milk it's perfect for babies. It does contain gluten and generally wheat products aren't recommended for young babies under 6 months esp if any family history of wheat intolerance.

also the baby was 3 months old!! way to young the recommended weaning time is 6months when they are allowed family foods as there bodies can handle it better and break down the food where as a baby of 3 months cant and thats why its from 6months. i asked my health visitor if i can give lucy ready brek and she said it was fine. if you look at some baby packets and compare them to our food sometimes the salt contents is higher in the baby food for etc baby biscuits have more salt than rich tea biscuits.
there is so much difference between a baby of 3 months and a baby 6months as they grow and progress so quickly.

Ahh thanx for that, will be letting Ollie have that from 6 months onwards then x

I know the story is old but it still contains salt and babies under the age of 12months aren't supposed to have ANY salt....not even a bit. Ready Brek is not recommended for babies, stick with baby cereal until 12months as it has no salt added:happydance:

To save a bit of money would porridge (plain oats or something similair) be ok? The baby stuff is made from 40% oat flour, if I made it up with oats and formula instead of milk it might work out a bit cheaper, I'll take the box along to the next dropin clinic and see what they reckon,
x

A little tip....you can get Baby Organix cereals from Poundland:blush:....not that I have a cupboard full or anything:rofl::blush::dohh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->