• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Reasons you SHOULD breastfeed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Theres a thread not to breastfeed? how sad. this thread is needed then and hope it stays positive its here to help people.

I think that this thread is in an appropriate place because it gives those of us here in second tri that rarely or never venture to other sections of the board a lot of good info and support. And it isn't made to make anyone feel bad, it is simply listing reasons why it is best for baby if you at least try to bf. I think it's posted at an especially good time as we currently have a thread running listing reasons why some mothers don't try or don't continue. This is just offering the opposite view of why some mothers do try and why some stick with it.

Like I said before, I think its great info. The other thread is slightly different (without part of the title in caps may I add which could be interpreted as a way of making people feel bad) as it was regarding why people struggle as not everyone is aware of how hard it can be. There's no point having seperate forums on here if they are not used appropriately. Perhaps Im in the minority there, but hey like I said good info.

I typed the "should" in caps to help differentiate the two threads, not to make anyone feel bad. I can see it put you off and I'm sorry it affected you that way. I hope others don't feel the same.

but this is to help pregnant woman make informed decisions i would have thought.

Absolutely and I think its great info. However there are specific feeding forums on BnB and I assume they were created to accumulate relevant info on these topics in the relevant places.

I just dont want people getting upset, its horrified me how traumatised my friends have been over their experience. :flower:

Just remember, you are a different person than your friends. You may have no issues at all.

Yes I hope so. But I may do and I think it is foolish to not consider that breastfeeding is not always as 'easy' as we can be lead to believe. If it were easy there would be no such thing as Lac consultants etc. Its not just friends Ive seen experienced but patients too. In fact I had a patient today tell me that noone warns you just how hard it can be and the guilt a mother can feel when they struggle and sometimes have to 'give up'. Like I said, Im totally pro-BF and Im really looking forward to it but Im a realist...if I am aware of the potential difficulties I could face then I am hoping to prevent that guilt my friends went through. However that is different than expecting to fail, Im not setting myself for failure. There's a subtle difference I feel.

I think that this thread is in an appropriate place because it gives those of us here in second tri that rarely or never venture to other sections of the board a lot of good info and support. And it isn't made to make anyone feel bad, it is simply listing reasons why it is best for baby if you at least try to bf. I think it's posted at an especially good time as we currently have a thread running listing reasons why some mothers don't try or don't continue. This is just offering the opposite view of why some mothers do try and why some stick with it.

Exactly! With the "reasons not to breastfeed" thread I felt this would help those who want advice and encouragement. It is easy to get scared by stories of bad breastfeeding experiences before you even have a chance to try it yourself. I am trying to put a postive note on the issue.

Why should you care what others do?...esp complete strangers on this forum that you havent even met? If its right for you, then fine do it yourself and leave it at that. Cant stand people who are on a crusade.

Like I said before, I think its great info. The other thread is slightly different (without part of the title in caps may I add which could be interpreted as a way of making people feel bad) as it was regarding why people struggle as not everyone is aware of how hard it can be. There's no point having seperate forums on here if they are not used appropriately. Perhaps Im in the minority there, but hey like I said good info.

I typed the "should" in caps to help differentiate the two threads, not to make anyone feel bad. I can see it put you off and I'm sorry it affected you that way. I hope others don't feel the same.

I felt it was (excuse the pun) a bit tit-for-tat! :haha:

Theres a thread not to breastfeed? how sad. this thread is needed then and hope it stays positive its here to help people.

No there isnt. There is a thread were ladies who hae no experience were asking WHY people give up. A very VERY important difference.

Exactly! With the "reasons not to breastfeed" thread I felt this would help those who want advice and encouragement. It is easy to get scared by stories of bad breastfeeding experiences before you even have a chance to try it yourself. I am trying to put a postive note on the issue.

Why should you care what others do?...esp complete strangers on this forum that you havent even met? If its right for you, then fine do it yourself and leave it at that. Cant stand people who are on a crusade.

Please try not to be accusatory. As a La Leche League leader, breastfeeding is a passion of mine and I want to offer my help in any way that I can.

but this is to help pregnant woman make informed decisions i would have thought.

Absolutely and I think its great info. However there are specific feeding forums on BnB and I assume they were created to accumulate relevant info on these topics in the relevant places.

I just dont want people getting upset, its horrified me how traumatised my friends have been over their experience. :flower:

Just remember, you are a different person than your friends. You may have no issues at all.

Yes I hope so. But I may do and I think it is foolish to not consider that breastfeeding is not always as 'easy' as we can be lead to believe. If it were easy there would be no such thing as Lac consultants etc. Its not just friends Ive seen experienced but patients too. In fact I had a patient today tell me that noone warns you just how hard it can be and the guilt a mother can feel when they struggle and sometimes have to 'give up'. Like I said, Im totally pro-BF and Im really looking forward to it but Im a realist...if I am aware of the potential difficulties I could face then I am hoping to prevent that guilt my friends went through. However that is different than expecting to fail, Im not setting myself for failure. There's a subtle difference I feel.

I absolutely agree! All we can do is try. It was very difficult for me in the beginning but with determination I made it and plan to continue. I am a realist too but I choose to be postive. In no way have I ever given anyone the illusion that breastfeeding is easy all the time. I'm just saying that you won't know until you give it your best effort.

great pun! :haha:

I don't see why you're getting your spines up over this thread. No one has tried to make anyone feel guilty, and no one is trying to tell anyone what to do, or saying that what they're doing or have done is right. The point in sharing experiences is so that others can learn from those experiences and help them come to a decision that's right for themselves. I don't see any of this as a "crusade" and I feel your hostility toward those of us posting favorably is offensive and completely unwarranted.

Please try not to be accusatory. As a La Leche League leader, breastfeeding is a passion of mine and I want to offer my help in any way that I can.

I applaud your experience and passion. I also understand where you are coming from. Im a Doctor and am passionate about health. However, I often restrain myself from advising people on here (in particular swine flu vaccine debates) because I feel it can be inappropriate and you'll find people have already made their minds up about these things. Its tough to strike a balance through your own experience and realising that not everyone wants to hear it. I think a fine example of that was the circ thread, I really felt for you because obviously you had a bad experience but I think you were fighting a losing battle there because some people just didnt want to listen.

The thread started out quite polite with ppl giving there views on why they wouldn't/couldnt and there were ppl explaining why they did and how great it was.then came the very judgmentle ppl who think it is wrong and "sad" not to bf and forced there views on others.so let's hope this thread doesn't get high jacked by know it alls like the poor ops other thread xx

No there isnt. There is a thread were ladies who hae no experience were asking WHY people give up. A very VERY important difference.

I just seen that and didnt want to get into that thread. And I still think its ok to have a thread like this to help spread information as sometimes health professionals can fail us. If you know all about it then dont read it I see a few pages back someone was glad of the information.

The thread started out quite polite with ppl giving there views on why they wouldn't/couldnt and there were ppl explaining why they did and how great it was.then came the very judgmentle ppl who think it is wrong and "sad" not to bf and forced there views on others.so let's hope this thread doesn't get high jacked by know it alls like the poor ops other thread xx

maybe leave bad stuff in other thread?

great pun! :haha:

Well I cant always be doom and gloom now eh? :rofl:

No seriously, I wasnt trying to down on you or any pro-BF's. Im totally pro-BF and will give it my damn best shot. I mean, my boobies are big enough, surely I should be ok LOL!

To those that were confused by my reference to the other thread: I'm sorry if I was unclear. I wasn't meaning there was anyone saying that anyone shouldn't breastfeed. I just meant there was a thread where ladies are sharing reasons why they and others they know have either not tried or given up breastfeeding. It is the one where someone asked why. Sorry for the confusion. It would indeed be terrible if there was one created with the intention of discouraging women from trying to breastfeed. Thankfully, I don't think that's going to happen... not on BnB anyway.

I just seen that and didnt want to get into that thread. And I still think its ok to have a thread like this to help spread information as sometimes health professionals can fail us. If you know all about it then dont read it I see a few pages back someone was glad of the information.

Excuse me, I never said I knew all about it. I was trying to make people aware of the difficulties of discussing such an emotive subject. Im sure people are glad of the info, I wanted to clarify it was in the appropriate section. After all, these seperate sections were made for a reason.

Blue Tea thank you for posting this thread but it seems that the negative just follows. If this forum isn't for you please move on to something else. I find it very formitive and appreciate the information. The title of this thread is very specific so if it's not something you are interested in reading please move past it :)

I applaud your experience and passion. I also understand where you are coming from. Im a Doctor and am passionate about health. However, I often restrain myself from advising people on here (in particular swine flu vaccine debates) because I feel it can be inappropriate and you'll find people have already made their minds up about these things. Its tough to strike a balance through your own experience and realising that not everyone wants to hear it. I think a fine example of that was the circ thread, I really felt for you because obviously you had a bad experience but I think you were fighting a losing battle there because some people just didnt want to listen.

Yeah, the circ thread was pretty hard. Like that one, I advocate for the babies because they don't have a voice in the matter. However, this is a public forum and everyone is allowed to post their opinion and those who don't want to read it don't have to.

Yeah, the circ thread was pretty hard. Like that one, I advocate for the babies because they don't have a voice in the matter. However, this is a public forum and everyone is allowed to post their opinion and those who don't want to read it don't have to.

Well Im going to leave it there then as I see people are just assuming Im being negative without bothering to read what I say. Im all for freedom of opinion, but I think a bit of empathy and understanding when voicing it goes a long way.

Best of luck in your breastfeeding endeavours ladies. :flower:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cnewt116