Reasons you SHOULD breastfeed

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that this thread is in an appropriate place because it gives those of us here in second tri that rarely or never venture to other sections of the board a lot of good info and support. And it isn't made to make anyone feel bad, it is simply listing reasons why it is best for baby if you at least try to bf. I think it's posted at an especially good time as we currently have a thread running listing reasons why some mothers don't try or don't continue. This is just offering the opposite view of why some mothers do try and why some stick with it.

Exactly! With the "reasons not to breastfeed" thread I felt this would help those who want advice and encouragement. It is easy to get scared by stories of bad breastfeeding experiences before you even have a chance to try it yourself. I am trying to put a postive note on the issue.

Why should you care what others do?...esp complete strangers on this forum that you havent even met? If its right for you, then fine do it yourself and leave it at that. Cant stand people who are on a crusade.

Please try not to be accusatory. As a La Leche League leader, breastfeeding is a passion of mine and I want to offer my help in any way that I can.

I applaud your experience and passion. I also understand where you are coming from. Im a Doctor and am passionate about health. However, I often restrain myself from advising people on here (in particular swine flu vaccine debates) because I feel it can be inappropriate and you'll find people have already made their minds up about these things. Its tough to strike a balance through your own experience and realising that not everyone wants to hear it. I think a fine example of that was the circ thread, I really felt for you because obviously you had a bad experience but I think you were fighting a losing battle there because some people just didnt want to listen.

Yeah, the circ thread was pretty hard. Like that one, I advocate for the babies because they don't have a voice in the matter. However, this is a public forum and everyone is allowed to post their opinion and those who don't want to read it don't have to.

Well Im going to leave it there then as I see people are just assuming Im being negative without bothering to read what I say. Im all for freedom of opinion, but I think a bit of empathy and understanding when voicing it goes a long way.

Best of luck in your breastfeeding endeavours ladies. :flower:

I agree! I do feel I am using empathy and understanding.

Theres a thread not to breastfeed? how sad. this thread is needed then and hope it stays positive its here to help people.

No there isnt. There is a thread were ladies who hae no experience were asking WHY people give up. A very VERY important difference.

I just seen that and didnt want to get into that thread. And I still think its ok to have a thread like this to help spread information as sometimes health professionals can fail us. If you know all about it then dont read it I see a few pages back someone was glad of the information.

Excuse me, I never said I knew all about it. I was trying to make people aware of the difficulties of discussing such an emotive subject. Im sure people are glad of the info, I wanted to clarify it was in the appropriate section. After all, these seperate sections were made for a reason.

edit

And for those who want to continue breastfeeding past the first year (like me)-

https://www.kellymom.com/bf/bfextended/ebf-benefits.html

Breastfeeding Past Infancy: Fact Sheet

Breastfeeding children benefit NUTRITIONALLY
•Although there has been little research done on children who breastfeed beyond the age of two, the available information indicates that breastfeeding continues to be a valuable source of nutrition and disease protection for as long as breastfeeding continues.
•"Human milk expressed by mothers who have been lactating for >1 year has significantly increased fat and energy contents, compared with milk expressed by women who have been lactating for shorter periods. During prolonged lactation, the fat energy contribution of breast milk to the infant diet might be significant."
-- Mandel 2005
•"Breast milk continues to provide substantial amounts of key nutrients well beyond the first year of life, especially protein, fat, and most vitamins."
-- Dewey 2001
•In the second year (12-23 months), 448 mL of breastmilk provides:
◦29% of energy requirements
◦43% of protein requirements
◦36% of calcium requirements
◦75% of vitamin A requirements
◦76% of folate requirements
◦94% of vitamin B12 requirements
◦60% of vitamin C requirements
-- Dewey 2001
•Studies done in rural Bangladesh have shown that breastmilk continues to be an important source of vitamin A in the second and third year of life.
-- Persson 1998
•It's not uncommon for weaning to be recommended for toddlers who are eating few solids. However, this recommendation is not supported by research. According to Sally Kneidel in "Nursing Beyond One Year" (New Beginnings, Vol. 6 No. 4, July-August 1990, pp. 99-103.):
Some doctors may feel that nursing will interfere with a child's appetite for other foods. Yet there has been no documentation that nursing children are more likely than weaned children to refuse supplementary foods. In fact, most researchers in Third World countries, where a malnourished toddler's appetite may be of critical importance, recommend continued nursing for even the severely malnourished (Briend et al, 1988; Rhode, 1988; Shattock and Stephens, 1975; Whitehead, 1985). Most suggest helping the malnourished older nursing child not by weaning but by supplementing the mother's diet to improve the nutritional quality of her milk (Ahn and MacLean. 1980; Jelliffe and Jelliffe, 1978) and by offering the child more varied and more palatable foods to improve his or her appetite (Rohde, 1988; Tangermann, 1988; Underwood, 1985).

References

Breastfeeding children are SICK LESS OFTEN
•The American Academy of Family Physicians notes that children weaned before two years of age are at increased risk of illness (AAFP 2001).
•Nursing toddlers between the ages of 16 and 30 months have been found to have fewer illnesses and illnesses of shorter duration than their non-nursing peers (Gulick 1986).
•"Antibodies are abundant in human milk throughout lactation" (Nutrition During Lactation 1991; p. 134). In fact, some of the immune factors in breastmilk increase in concentration during the second year and also during the weaning process. (Goldman 1983, Goldman & Goldblum 1983, Institute of Medicine 1991).
•Per the World Health Organization, "a modest increase in breastfeeding rates could prevent up to 10% of all deaths of children under five: Breastfeeding plays an essential and sometimes underestimated role in the treatment and prevention of childhood illness." [emphasis added]
References

Breastfeeding children have FEWER ALLERGIES
•Many studies have shown that one of the best ways to prevent allergies and asthma is to breastfeed exclusively for at least 6 months and continue breastfeeding long-term after that point.

Breastfeeding can be helpful for preventing allergy by:
1.reducing exposure to potential allergens (the later baby is exposed, the less likely that there will be an allergic reaction),
2.speeding maturation of the protective intestinal barrier in baby's gut,
3.coating the gut and providing a barrier to potentially allergenic molecules,
4.providing anti-inflammatory properties that reduce the risk of infections (which can act as allergy triggers).
References

Breastfeeding children are SMART
•Extensive research on the relationship between cognitive achievement (IQ scores, grades in school) and breastfeeding has shown the greatest gains for those children breastfed the longest.
References

Breastfeeding children are WELL ADJUSTED SOCIALLY
•According to Sally Kneidel in "Nursing Beyond One Year" (New Beginnings, Vol. 6 No. 4, July-August 1990, pp. 99-103.):

"Research reports on the psychological aspects of nursing are scarce. One study that dealt specifically with babies nursed longer than a year showed a significant link between the duration of nursing and mothers' and teachers' ratings of social adjustment in six- to eight-year-old children (Ferguson et al, 1987). In the words of the researchers, 'There are statistically significant tendencies for conduct disorder scores to decline with increasing duration of breastfeeding.'"
•According to Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq. in "Extended Breastfeeding and the Law":
"Breastfeeding is a warm and loving way to meet the needs of toddlers and young children. It not only perks them up and energizes them; it also soothes the frustrations, bumps and bruises, and daily stresses of early childhood. In addition, nursing past infancy helps little ones make a gradual transition to childhood."
•Baldwin continues: "Meeting a child's dependency needs is the key to helping that child achieve independence. And children outgrow these needs according to their own unique timetable." Children who achieve independence at their own pace are more secure in that independence then children forced into independence prematurely.
References

Breastfeeding your child past infancy is NORMAL
•The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends that "Breastfeeding should be continued for at least the first year of life and beyond for as long as mutually desired by mother and child... Increased duration of breastfeeding confers significant health and developmental benefits for the child and the mother... There is no upper limit to the duration of breastfeeding and no evidence of psychologic or developmental harm from breastfeeding into the third year of life or longer." (AAP 2005)
•The American Academy of Family Physicians recommends that breastfeeding continue throughout the first year of life and that "As recommended by the WHO, breastfeeding should ideally continue beyond infancy, but this is not the cultural norm in the United States and requires ongoing support and encouragement. It has been estimated that a natural weaning age for humans is between two and seven years. Family physicians should be knowledgeable regarding the ongoing benefits to the child of extended breastfeeding, including continued immune protection, better social adjustment, and having a sustainable food source in times of emergency. The longer women breastfeed, the greater the decrease in their risk of breast cancer." They also note that "If the child is younger than two years of age, the child is at increased risk of illness if weaned." (AAFP 2008)
•A US Surgeon General has stated that it is a lucky baby who continues to nurse until age two. (Novello 1990)
•The World Health Organization emphasizes the importance of nursing up to two years of age or beyond (WHO 1993, WHO 2002).
•Scientific research by Katherine A. Dettwyler, PhD shows that 2.5 to 7.0 years of nursing is what our children have been designed to expect (Dettwyler 1995).
References [see also position statements supporting breastfeeding]

MOTHERS also benefit from breastfeeding past infancy
•Extended nursing delays the return of fertility in some women by suppressing ovulation (References).
•Breastfeeding reduces the risk of breast cancer (References). Studies have found a significant inverse association between duration of lactation and breast cancer risk.
•Breastfeeding reduces the risk of ovarian cancer (References).
•Breastfeeding reduces the risk of uterine cancer (References).
•Breastfeeding reduces the risk of endometrial cancer (References).
•Breastfeeding protects against osteoporosis. During lactation a mother may experience decreases of bone mineral. A nursing mom's bone mineral density may be reduced in the whole body by 1 to 2 percent while she is still nursing. This is gained back, and bone mineral density may actually increase, when the baby is weaned from the breast. This is not dependent on additional calcium supplementation in the mother's diet. (References).
•Breastfeeding reduces the risk of rheumatoid arthritis. (References).
•Breastfeeding has been shown to decrease insulin requirements in diabetic women (References).
•Breastfeeding moms tend to lose weight easier (References).

I agree that it would be best for everyone if those who did not like the thread could just not click on it. It is very clear in the title what it's about. If you don't want to read about it, then don't read about it. There is no reason to attack people for wanting to help others by sharing info.

I also feel that this thread along with others that possibly fit into separate places fits here because this is a general thread for women in the second trimester of pregnancy. It is a good time for us to think about BFing, and to learn more about it before we are too overwhelmed in the third trimester to even think about it or the baby's born and we are suddenly faced with the realization we never even thought about it during pregnancy. If this information were only shared in the breastfeeding section, then it is unlikely that women that don't know the benefits of breastfeeding would even consider going there to read it. I live in a community where almost everyone formula feeds because they don't think to research it at all. They just assume that formula feeding is just as healthy and don't know that breastfeeding has benefits over formula feeding. It's sad, but true. I mean, who really reads the labels that have a small disclaimer noting that formula is not as good at breastmilk, really? And the doctors in America care much more about their pocketbooks than their patients, so they don't care to take the time to explain these things.

EDIT: I didn't mean you in the first paragraph, MrsPOP. I can see that you are not negative at all, I meant the ones that don't like the thread existing at all.

And for those who want to continue breastfeeding past the first year (like me)- https://www.kellymom.com/bf/bfextended/ebf-benefits.html
(removed the rest so it's not a huge quote)

THANK YOU! Thank you so much for posting this one. I greatly appreciate this information. The only thing I'm still trying to track down is something about the psychological effects of it because my husband is worried that our baby will take after me or his older sister and be able to remember things from a very young age, and he is concerned about what effect it could have on her if she actually remembers breastfeeding. I'm not worried about it, but I can understand his concern and want to help alleviate it.

(Also, I haven't read your link in your PM yet, just haven't had the energy/time.. I know, I'm horrible, using that excuse when I'm spending so much time here lol)

LOVE LOVE LOVE THIS THREAD!!

Lovely and informative!! Can't beat ladies who give out accurate info!!

Yes BF is not always a bed of roses... some take to it like a duck to water,others have more of a challenge but it is worth it!!

Tandem feeder here !:thumbup:

It's crazy but i wouldn't have it ANY other way!

As for the question of where this thread belongs... it DEFINATELY belongs here as earlier mentioned..ladies in 2nd tri might not think of going ot BF section (which in all honesty tends to be mainly a troublshooting forum) this is a great way to get ladies thinking seriously about feeding methods,and may help them make an informed decision!:thumbup:

And for those who want to continue breastfeeding past the first year (like me)- https://www.kellymom.com/bf/bfextended/ebf-benefits.html
(removed the rest so it's not a huge quote)

THANK YOU! Thank you so much for posting this one. I greatly appreciate this information. The only thing I'm still trying to track down is something about the psychological effects of it because my husband is worried that our baby will take after me or his older sister and be able to remember things from a very young age, and he is concerned about what effect it could have on her if she actually remembers breastfeeding. I'm not worried about it, but I can understand his concern and want to help alleviate it.

(Also, I haven't read your link in your PM yet, just haven't had the energy/time.. I know, I'm horrible, using that excuse when I'm spending so much time here lol)

From hearing other mothers experiences at La Leche League meetings, children have fond memories of breastfeeding when they are toddlers. It does not pose psychological damage. I'll look for some information for you.

I have heard great things about this book- https://store.llli.org/public/profile/427 Breastfeeding Older Children

You can probably find it on Amazon.com for a less expensive price.

Full term breastfeeding may seem overwhelming and strange to your husband now but as his child grows your husband's persepective will grow too. If he sees you are confident in your choice then he will be confident in you.

Not sure if it's been mentioned, but if you have any sort of serious problem in the beginning where a baby cannot breastfeed, then your local pharmacy or hospital will have electric double pumps for rent at a low daily rate.

You need to pump every 2-3 hours. 24/7. A minimum of 15-20 minutes (per breast or total if using double pump) and 5 minutes past the flow. This is very important and failure to do so will cause a drop in supply. You can replace an expressed feed with formula if you choose to, but you CANNOT give formula without pumping that same feed when you are trying to establish! Again, drop in supply.

I have never "breast fed" really, but I have fed breast milk for my baby :) I did not know a lot of the above important facts before I had to suddenly pump (totally unexpected) and that really had a severe impact on my supply so I hope that helps anyone that might end up in that circumstance! Usually when this happens, it means something upsetting has happened to either you or the baby so it's hard to find these resources in a timely manner.

Some cool links:
https://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/maintainsupply-pump.html
https://www.hollister.com/us/files/pdfs/breastfeeding/establish_milk_supply.pdf
https://www.pumpingrules.blogspot.com/

Not sure if it's been mentioned, but if you have any sort of serious problem in the beginning where a baby cannot breastfeed, then your local pharmacy or hospital will have electric double pumps for rent at a low daily rate.

You need to pump every 2-3 hours. 24/7. A minimum of 15-20 minutes (per breast or total if using double pump) and 5 minutes past the flow. This is very important and failure to do so will cause a drop in supply. You can replace an expressed feed with formula if you choose to, but you CANNOT give formula without pumping that same feed when you are trying to establish! Again, drop in supply.

I have never "breast fed" really, but I have fed breast milk for my baby :) I did not know a lot of the above important facts before I had to suddenly pump (totally unexpected) and that really had a severe impact on my supply so I hope that helps anyone that might end up in that circumstance! Usually when this happens, it means something upsetting has happened to either you or the baby so it's hard to find these resources in a timely manner.

Some cool links:

Pumping is definetly the next best option when breastfeeding is not possible.

Full term breastfeeding may seem overwhelming and strange to your husband now but as his child grows your husband's persepective will grow too. If he sees you are confident in your choice then he will be confident in you.

Why does everything you say make me cry?! No, really, it's probably just because I'm overwhelmed right now. But everything you say to me makes me cry lately, lol. I'm not complaining though (well, not about the things you say, anyway, but the tears are a bit annoying).

I think that you are absolutely right. Just as my perspective has grown since I read your first post and got inspired to research more about breastfeeding, his will, too. At first he was uncomfortable with the idea of me breastfeeding past a year. Then, thanks to the courage I found from your posts, I pushed him to do some research of his own and he found an amazingly helpful site that explained all of the benefits and said that they are maximized when breastfeeding is continued for a minimum of 2.5 years, up to I think it was 5 or maybe it was 7. I probably won't breastfeed my child once she starts going to school, but I do intend to try for the minimum 2.5 and let her self-wean after that.

I used to be very uncomfortable with the idea and afraid of BFing, even though I told myself I was going to do it anyway, no matter what. I was uncomfortable with it because I felt it would be awkward because I think of breasts as purely sexual, or at least I thought that way before. I was afraid because I've heard that it hurts a lot when you first get started and I'm afraid I'll wimp out and won't be able to get through that time.

After reading more about it, though, including the horror stories, I am starting to feel more comfortable and less afraid. I no longer feel awkward and uncomfortable about my breasts. I don't think it will feel weird because it will feel sexual at all. And I feel that I now know enough to be prepared if I have a hard time and know how to get through it or at least how to find someone to help me get through it. I'm also slightly competitive on the inside, so I find myself thinking "I'm going to be stronger, I'm not going to let anything stop me! I WILL do this for my baby."

I know it's mean to think you can do something better than someone else, but sometimes my head just thinks these things. Like when you see a screaming child in a store and a parent letting the kid get his way and do whatever he wants, including running around and shoving other kids down, and you think "I'm going to be such a better parent than them!" I think it's a pregnancy thing. We sometimes think we will do better than everyone else, and then we have times when we are afraid we will be worse and have no confidence in ourselves at all.

Seems that this thread is going pretty well but to clear things up:

Let's not bring other threads into it, all that does is create ill will across the forum.

There is no reason for this thread not to be in second trimester. The title itself is pretty clear so if someone is certain they are not going to be breastfeeding than there really is no cause for them to read the thread and if they do read the thread than there really is no cause for them to be upset (as again the title is pretty self-explanatory so they had to know that they were going to read pro-BF views coming in).

Some cool links:

I already knew most of this thanks to my best friend who was in that situation with her second child, but I am really glad you posted this info. I think it is very important for anyone who intends to try to breastfeed to know this just in case. Not knowing it beforehand can just make things spiral downward when they don't find out soon enough and end up with the mother beating herself up for failing like my friend did.

Why does everything you say make me cry?! No, really, it's probably just because I'm overwhelmed right now. But everything you say to me makes me cry lately, lol. I'm not complaining though (well, not about the things you say, anyway, but the tears are a bit annoying).

I think that you are absolutely right. Just as my perspective has grown since I read your first post and got inspired to research more about breastfeeding, his will, too. At first he was uncomfortable with the idea of me breastfeeding past a year. Then, thanks to the courage I found from your posts, I pushed him to do some research of his own and he found an amazingly helpful site that explained all of the benefits and said that they are maximized when breastfeeding is continued for a minimum of 2.5 years, up to I think it was 5 or maybe it was 7. I probably won't breastfeed my child once she starts going to school, but I do intend to try for the minimum 2.5 and let her self-wean after that.

I used to be very uncomfortable with the idea and afraid of BFing, even though I told myself I was going to do it anyway, no matter what. I was uncomfortable with it because I felt it would be awkward because I think of breasts as purely sexual, or at least I thought that way before. I was afraid because I've heard that it hurts a lot when you first get started and I'm afraid I'll wimp out and won't be able to get through that time.

After reading more about it, though, including the horror stories, I am starting to feel more comfortable and less afraid. I no longer feel awkward and uncomfortable about my breasts. I don't think it will feel weird because it will feel sexual at all. And I feel that I now know enough to be prepared if I have a hard time and know how to get through it or at least how to find someone to help me get through it. I'm also slightly competitive on the inside, so I find myself thinking "I'm going to be stronger, I'm not going to let anything stop me! I WILL do this for my baby."

I know it's mean to think you can do something better than someone else, but sometimes my head just thinks these things. Like when you see a screaming child in a store and a parent letting the kid get his way and do whatever he wants, including running around and shoving other kids down, and you think "I'm going to be such a better parent than them!" I think it's a pregnancy thing. We sometimes think we will do better than everyone else, and then we have times when we are afraid we will be worse and have no confidence in ourselves at all.

:hugs: Sometimes tears are necessary. :flower: I completely understand feeling uncomfortable with breastfeeding. I was molested by my father for years when I was a child and I never thought I would want to breastfeed. I too had that deeply ingrained idea that breasts were only sexual objects. When I saw pictures of breastfeeding they made me cringe but now those same pictures make me smile. It's all about perspective... I always knew breastfeeding was what was best for both my son and I but I didn't understand the emotional aspect until my son was born. I had many difficulties in the beginning but I found so much healing from the sexual abuse because of breastfeeding and getting through the challenges. Honestly, I never really realized the impact the abuse had on me until I breastfed. I thought I was past the abuse but breastfeeding brought up a whole new set of wounds and scars. I feel I am a better person and mother for overcoming it and preservering. 1 in 4 children are abused which makes me wonder how many of these women who think breastfeeding is "icky" were abused too. One day our culture will get past the sexualizing of breasts and more women are standing up for themselves and their right to breastfeed their babies. :thumbup:

Im so excited to breastfeed! I think its such a miracle. I will be crushed if something makes it to where i can't:( Ive been having colostrum leaking since 18 weeks so i hope this is a good sign! We will see

Im so excited to breastfeed! I think its such a miracle. I will be crushed if something makes it to where i can't:( Ive been having colostrum leaking since 18 weeks so i hope this is a good sign! We will see

Good luck to you. Producing colostrum already is common and a good sign. If you have any issues be sure to contact your local La Leche League group or a lactation constultant.

Seems that this thread is going pretty well but to clear things up:

Let's not bring other threads into it, all that does is create ill will across the forum.

There is no reason for this thread not to be in second trimester. The title itself is pretty clear so if someone is certain they are not going to be breastfeeding than there really is no cause for them to read the thread and if they do read the thread than there really is no cause for them to be upset (as again the title is pretty self-explanatory so they had to know that they were going to read pro-BF views coming in).

Thank you, Vickie! :happydance:

I have a question about the whole 'full term breastfeeding' thing. We started off saying "oh just for 6 weeks then we'll see" which quickly progressed to '6 months', the 'a year' as these things often do lol.

Anyway when we got to about 13 months I realised she was only taking it when I offered it, she wasn't asking for it any more, and she wasn't feeding for as long. So I decided to stop offering and just give it her when she asked for it.

I would class that as self weaning (please correct me if I'm wrong) and to be honest, my entire parenting experience has been led by her, I have tried not to 'inflict' too much on her and just gone off her natural routines and what she chooses (BFing, sleeping, BLWing etc).

I was obviously quite sad when she stopped altogether at 13.5 months so I'm wondering - should I have kept offering? I mean I didn't want to be doing it just for me. It's never been just for me, although I did enjoy it. I was quite happy BFing her, it wasn't a chore but it also wasn't something I had to do for my mental wellbeing iykwim.

So my question is this - when Seed arrives, what would you do? I mean I will offer up to a year, that is my minimum, but after then? Would you keep offering every day or would you do what I did and 'feed on demand', even if that demand was less than you would have offered yourself?

I hope that makes sense. I was just a little sad to not go the full 2 years. I mean I'd got over the hard part :lol:

I like the fact that I don't have to take the time to warm bottles and make formula, just have to snap down my tank top. My son didn't get one cold/flu in the 7 months I was able to breastfeed. :thumbup:

personally, i'm not sure. If I didn't feel it was of any bother to me, I would probably continue offering to a minimum of 2.5 years, but it's really not something I can say for sure until I get there, ya know? I think if LO is happy without it and you are too, then you shouldn't worry, but if I were sad like you, I'd have probably kept offering a while longer, even if only for my personal emotional comfort. Don't beat yourself up over it though. Your LO was obviously happpy with it and as parents that's what matters to us most, right? I think you should just go with your instincts to tell you what's right this time around. Don't force yourself to do or not do something if it's not what feels right, iykwim.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"