• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Reasons you SHOULD breastfeed

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just didn't want to be dictating to her how long she should feed for iykwim?

I'm having trouble explaining myself :lol: I wanted her to self-wean when she was ready and I assumed that, as she wasn't asking for it, she was ready. I didn't want to be offering her boob and her only taking it because I was offering.

I think this time around I will probably keep offering, it's hard to say.

I have a question about the whole 'full term breastfeeding' thing. We started off saying "oh just for 6 weeks then we'll see" which quickly progressed to '6 months', the 'a year' as these things often do lol.

Anyway when we got to about 13 months I realised she was only taking it when I offered it, she wasn't asking for it any more, and she wasn't feeding for as long. So I decided to stop offering and just give it her when she asked for it.

I would class that as self weaning (please correct me if I'm wrong) and to be honest, my entire parenting experience has been led by her, I have tried not to 'inflict' too much on her and just gone off her natural routines and what she chooses (BFing, sleeping, BLWing etc).

I was obviously quite sad when she stopped altogether at 13.5 months so I'm wondering - should I have kept offering? I mean I didn't want to be doing it just for me. It's never been just for me, although I did enjoy it. I was quite happy BFing her, it wasn't a chore but it also wasn't something I had to do for my mental wellbeing iykwim.

So my question is this - when Seed arrives, what would you do? I mean I will offer up to a year, that is my minimum, but after then? Would you keep offering every day or would you do what I did and 'feed on demand', even if that demand was less than you would have offered yourself?

I hope that makes sense. I was just a little sad to not go the full 2 years. I mean I'd got over the hard part :lol:

It does indeed sound like she self weaned. At about 13 months many toddlers become so involved in their world that their interest in breastfeeding is minimal. Many mothers take this opportunity to wean because it's easier when their toddler is distracted.

My son went through this too but I continued to offer because I knew breastmilk would still benefit him. The nutritional and emotional value of breastfeeding continues well into the second and third year.

Next time, if you want to make it past "the 1 year possible weaning period" continue to offer. You can't force a toddler to breastfeed so it isn't just for you when you offer and when he/she doesn't ask. You may also want to eliminate breast substitues (pacifier, bottle...) so that your toddler gravitates toward you and your breasts for nutritional and emotional needs.

I had a breast reduction when I was 16 so i was uninformed with my first 3 babies, even though i had read and read everything to be successful. i went into a huge depression and grieving after my 3rd child was an unsuccessful breastfeeder. It was so hard. I would've given anything.
So the 4th baby came along. I had a different nurse who said that my nipples were too big and babies mouth was too small. i thought she was stupid. lol.
But i couldn't fathom going through another grieving period. so i would feed him from tube/syringe from my pumped milk plus formula. it was very hard work. he didn't latch on..he would just suck through the nipple shield. i had no clue if it would ever work. So one day after about 1.5 months i told my friend she would have to nurse him since i was sick of always doing the same thing ... funny thing is... he latched on to her. perfectly. and then he latched on to me. it was truely a miracle. i nursed him for 2 years. supplemented with bottle for top up.
I can say the difference between my nursed child and my others: I AM closer to him. It's not because he's special or different..it is because i nursed him. Nursing is more work for some and it is an effort on both parts. BUT it is so worth it. i cannot wait to nurse again ..especially now that i know how to do it!! :happydance:
With my first babies i did feel condemned..but that is not encouraging..or helpful. Help those ladies who are having trouble but want to nurse not with nagging or you didn't try hard enough (that isn't always the case) but with stories of success..and one on one help. Sometimes we don't believe we can nurse for a particular reason which can be doused with a good testimony of one who did. so encouraging!!

Unfortunately I am a non- breastfeeder of 5 soon to be 6 kids. I always tried and managed 1st day but i'm afraid my body works against me. I have large breasts and always get very painful mastitis within 2 days of birth and boobs go hard as rocks and are so painful and ittakes weeks for them to go.

My kids are very healthy and I think it is important that those thatcan breastfeed do not make us no-breastfeeders feel somehow a failure-not saying that you on her are doing but I know through past pregnancies midwives have been very pushy....so I now make it clear from start who is in charge and its not them.

My friend on the other hand who really admit to not being maternal at all, was a natural breastfeeder and was so good that the midwives wanted her to go and talk to other women lol!

It is great if you an do it....but if you can't its no major issue! For those who may not be able to do it please do not beat yourself up about it.

I'll definately be breastfeeding. I didn't have the internet or any supportive advice when I was breastfeeding my son, and when the 6 week growth spurt hit where he was feeding so often I thought my milk was drying up so switched to FF. It was only when I joined this forum that I realised that what I went through was normal. I'm really looking forward to breastfeeding again, I really enjoyed it. :)

kacey used to get this hungry look in her eyes and litterallx pounce my breasts. I miss that. She didnt lose any weight either.

Unfortunately I am a non- breastfeeder of 5 soon to be 6 kids. I always tried and managed 1st day but i'm afraid my body works against me. I have large breasts and always get very painful mastitis within 2 days of birth and boobs go hard as rocks and are so painful and ittakes weeks for them to go.

My kids are very healthy and I think it is important that those thatcan breastfeed do not make us no-breastfeeders feel somehow a failure-
not saying that you on her are doing but I know through past pregnancies midwives have been very pushy....so I now make it clear from start who is in charge and its not them.

My friend on the other hand who really admit to not being maternal at all, was a natural breastfeeder and was so good that the midwives wanted her to go and talk to other women lol!

It is great if you an do it....but if you can't its no major issue! For those who may not be able to do it please do not beat yourself up about it.

It was all going well?? no one said anyone was a failure this thread was to help with breastfeeding info i cant understand why some come in and feel like failures when woman who are pregnant are seeing this and trying to make informed decisions. I do not find your post helpful at all or encouraging to anyone. you may not have succeeded and sorry about that but others could let them try without pulling any one down for being able to accusing them of making you feel like you failed.

Before I got to that post I was really happy to see so many where getting help from blue tea, even I am getting information of her by reading here. Breastfeeding does have problems nothing is every problem free really even mums who ff have problems to. but these can be over come. I mean things like cracked nipples and thrush, I had the lot both times around and I never stopped feeding. But I knew second time round it would go away the pain and I would enjoy it didnt take that long with some lansinoh cream :flower::flower: the feeling I get from breastfeeding is great! I love looking at my baby looking back at me, he is 6 weeks old and smiles away and laughs at me. Sometimes I have to stop feeding so he can smile and laugh :haha: It does produce good feelings but dont worry if it feels weird at the start it did for me,. I had no intentions of breastfeeding and thought the whole thing was weird. I felt embarrassed when I fed but you get confidence it comes to you. When you see how well baby is coming on you trust your body more, trusting your body is good to as you can make enough milk and baby is getting enough to.

kacey used to get this hungry look in her eyes and litterallx pounce my breasts. I miss that. She didnt lose any weight either.

I didnt loose weight either but its not a definable you do some can loose weight, I wish I was one of them.

though perhaps if I didnt eat like a pig I may :blush:

Oooh I have a BF question and here looks like a good place to ask-
When I had my daughter (now just turned 3) I BF but only managed 3 weeks before my boobs shrunk and my milk seemed to dissapear? :( I then bottle fed.
I had breast augmentation before I had my daughter, would this have something to do with it? My mum also has had breast augmentation (small boobs in our family!) and had the same problem with me (milk going), but had my brother 8 years later and BF him for years!
My boobs have not grown at all this pregnancy and I'm really upset and worried that I won't even be able to try it. I would like to give it another go.
Is there anything I can do? I hope I'll be ok this time but does it sound as though this is it for me?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you!
xxxx

Thanks for making this thread Blutea :flower:

I'm determined to breastfeed and I'm hoping to express as well as breastfeed once I go back to work once bubs is 6 months old.

I love reading about the benefits of breastfeeding too as it just reinforces my decision and makes me more determined :D x

I cant wait to breastfeed though!! Its the one thing I am really really looking forward to! Maybe its just validating the need to carry these boobs around all my life!!!

i am going to give it a bash! if i cant then i cant but if i can then great i will do!!

i have always thought that when i had a baby i would breast feed.
think it is coz my mam breast fed me and my two younger bro's so i just see it as the 'thing' to do

but is upto to each individual i guess.

defo hope i can do it though!

I had a breast reduction when I was 16 so i was uninformed with my first 3 babies, even though i had read and read everything to be successful. i went into a huge depression and grieving after my 3rd child was an unsuccessful breastfeeder. It was so hard. I would've given anything.
So the 4th baby came along. I had a different nurse who said that my nipples were too big and babies mouth was too small. i thought she was stupid. lol.
But i couldn't fathom going through another grieving period. so i would feed him from tube/syringe from my pumped milk plus formula. it was very hard work. he didn't latch on..he would just suck through the nipple shield. i had no clue if it would ever work. So one day after about 1.5 months i told my friend she would have to nurse him since i was sick of always doing the same thing ... funny thing is... he latched on to her. perfectly. and then he latched on to me. it was truely a miracle. i nursed him for 2 years. supplemented with bottle for top up.
I can say the difference between my nursed child and my others: I AM closer to him. It's not because he's special or different..it is because i nursed him. Nursing is more work for some and it is an effort on both parts. BUT it is so worth it. i cannot wait to nurse again ..especially now that i know how to do it!! :happydance:
With my first babies i did feel condemned..but that is not encouraging..or helpful. Help those ladies who are having trouble but want to nurse not with nagging or you didn't try hard enough (that isn't always the case) but with stories of success..and one on one help. Sometimes we don't believe we can nurse for a particular reason which can be doused with a good testimony of one who did. so encouraging!!

I am so sorry for your first three experiences with breastfeeding. Misinformation can be so detrimental. :nope: I'm glad you were able to find healing in breastfeeding your fourth baby. :hugs:

My kids are very healthy and I think it is important that those thatcan breastfeed do not make us no-breastfeeders feel somehow a failure-not saying that you on her are doing but I know through past pregnancies midwives have been very pushy....so I now make it clear from start who is in charge and its not them.

I'm sorry you feel this way. I am not trying to make anyone feel bad.

It sounds like you may have had mastists due to the initial engorgement period. Here is an article to help prevent or minimize engorement- https://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mom/engorgement.html I bet you would be able to successfully breastfeed your 6th baby following these tips.

Oooh I have a BF question and here looks like a good place to ask-
When I had my daughter (now just turned 3) I BF but only managed 3 weeks before my boobs shrunk and my milk seemed to dissapear? :( I then bottle fed.
I had breast augmentation before I had my daughter, would this have something to do with it? My mum also has had breast augmentation (small boobs in our family!) and had the same problem with me (milk going), but had my brother 8 years later and BF him for years!
My boobs have not grown at all this pregnancy and I'm really upset and worried that I won't even be able to try it. I would like to give it another go.
Is there anything I can do? I hope I'll be ok this time but does it sound as though this is it for me?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you!
xxxx

Your breast augmentation may have been a factor but if you were able to successfully breastfeed for three weeks it's not likely. It's more likely that your milk supply was regulating and you may have had plenty of milk for your daughter. Many mothers worry during "the regulation period" because their breasts do not feel as full. The important factors are weight gain, wet diapers and a happy, alert baby.

I think you should definitely give breastfeeding a try again. If you mother was able to breastfeed your brother it is very possible that you will be able to breastfeed this baby. Every breastfeeding expereince is different, even from one baby to the next from the same mother.

Hi,
I never have had any desire to breastfeed, the whole idea of it does not appeal to me & I also like the idea that the baby's Dad, grandparents & others can help with feeds ect.
But having read loads of informative articles on how beneficial breast milk is, I think i will try it for a little while. However, my question is, is it possible just to breast feed for a few feeds & supplement the rest with formula? As my understanding is (not sure if correct) is that on day 3-5 when 'your milk comes in' this is when your body adjusts the milk supply based on demand, therefore if I was only breastfeeding/expressing for 3 feeds, would my body get use to only producing enough milk for this amount? Or would there be other issues?
Well done to you all, breastfeeders & non-breastfeeders! I think as long as you do what you feel comfortable with & are happy that is the best for the baby!

Hi,
I never have had any desire to breastfeed, the whole idea of it does not appeal to me & I also like the idea that the baby's Dad, grandparents & others can help with feeds ect.
But having read loads of informative articles on how beneficial breast milk is, I think i will try it for a little while. However, my question is, is it possible just to breast feed for a few feeds & supplement the rest with formula? As my understanding is (not sure if correct) is that on day 3-5 when 'your milk comes in' this is when your body adjusts the milk supply based on demand, therefore if I was only breastfeeding/expressing for 3 feeds, would my body get use to only producing enough milk for this amount? Or would there be other issues?
Well done to you all, breastfeeders & non-breastfeeders! I think as long as you do what you feel comfortable with & are happy that is the best for the baby!

Good for you for being open minded about breastfeeding and for having a willingness to offer your baby the best nutrition possible!

My suggestion is to exclusively breastfeed for at least the first six weeks to avoid nipple confusion and to establish your milk supply. After six weeks you could begin to slowly weaning one feed per day for a week and replace it with a bottle feed. Be sure to express just enough from that nursing session to be comfortable and to prevent blocked ducts. The next week you could switch out a second feed and so on and so forth. Slowly weaning will help your milk supply adjust so you are less likely to encounter clogged ducts and mastitis.

But, just so you know, there are other ways your husband can be involved. For example he can be the one to bring the baby to you to breastfeed then he could change the diaper and but the baby back to bed.

Hi,

Good for you for being open minded about breastfeeding and for having a willingness to offer your baby the best nutrition possible!

My suggestion is to exclusively breastfeed for at least the first six weeks to avoid nipple confusion and to establish your milk supply. After six weeks you could beginning slowly weaning one feed per day for a week and replace it with a bottle feed. Be sure to express just enough from that nursing session to be comfortable and to prevent blocked ducts. The next week you could switch out a second feed and so on and so forth. Slowly weaning will help your milk supply adjust so you are less likely to encounter clogged ducts and mastitis.

But, just so you know, there are other ways your husband can be involved. For example he can be the one to bring the baby to you to breastfeed then he could change the diaper and but the baby back to bed.

Thanks Bluetea!
If I was to exclusively express to overcome the nipple confusion and only express from the very beginning enough for 3/4 feeds a day at set times eg. 9am, 1pm, 5pm & 9am, would my body adjust to only producing milk during the day or does that create clogged ducts & mastitis problems you mention? If so would it make a difference changing the expressing times to say 9am, 3pm, 9pm & 3am?
Also are you able to express easily the initial Colostrum?

Hi,

My suggestion is to exclusively breastfeed for at least the first six weeks to avoid nipple confusion and to establish your milk supply. After six weeks you could beginning slowly weaning one feed per day for a week and replace it with a bottle feed. Be sure to express just enough from that nursing session to be comfortable and to prevent blocked ducts. The next week you could switch out a second feed and so on and so forth. Slowly weaning will help your milk supply adjust so you are less likely to encounter clogged ducts and mastitis.

Thanks Bluetea!
If I was to exclusively express to overcome the nipple confusion and only express from the very beginning enough for 3/4 feeds a day at set times eg. 9am, 1pm, 5pm & 9am, would my body adjust to only producing milk during the day or does that create clogged ducts & mastitis problems you mention? If so would it make a difference changing the expressing times to say 9am, 3pm, 9pm & 3am?
Also are you able to express easily the initial Colostrum?

Usually, a newborn baby will need about 12 feeds in a 24 hours period because their stomachs are incredibly tiny and breast milk digests quickly. (You would need to offer formula often, as well) Ideally, you would want to express every two hours, around the clock to accommodate this need. Expressing is hard work and takes longer than breastfeeding because breast pumps are not as efficient as a baby nursing. Put this on top of the demands of a newborn baby and I fear you would become overwhelmed. Most mothers will give up quickly on exclusive pumping because it is so time consuming. It is possible to express colostrum but it's consistency is sticky and thick and may be difficult to pump.

I strongly encourage you to try exclusively breastfeeding, at least for 6 weeks. Just remember if you change your mind later you can always bottle feed but it is challenging and nearly impossible to try to reestablish an adequate milk supply later. Breastfeeding does offer other benefits besides nutrition- comfort, security, warmth, emotional balance, hormonal regulation...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cnewt116
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->