Recurrent Miscarriage Thread

Hi Java, when I am on heparin I am on the low molecular weight heparin which is a once daily shot. I have read about many ladies in the US who have it twice daily but I don't really understand why as looking online I only really come across lmwh vs unfractioned heparin (old-style through a drip). I had a loss while in the States and showed the doc my syringes. He was intrigued and said they didn't have that type over there yet, whatever that means. I don't know what is on offer in Canada. Are you on Clexane?

As for oral anticoagulants, i.e. coumadin/warfarin, they are known to cause defects in the baby if taken in first tri and are therefore not recommended throughout pregnancy. I did meet a lady in advanced pregnancy at my warfarin clinic once but I couldn't find out much about her circumstances as she didn't speak English. The standard procedure at the clinic is to switch immediately from warfarin to heparin when someone is pregnant and keep them on throughout the pregnancy.
I think that in your case APS as an auto immune disease plays as much a factor in your doctor's choice of treatment as trying to avoid you suffering a blood clot. Research has shown that an aspirin/heparin combination significantly improves the live birth rate with APS. Due to the teratogenic (defect to baby) effects of coumadin/warfarin they can't really run any trials on pregnant ladies so you just wouldn't know if you switched.

Personally, I prefer the shots. I do them myself at home and I can eat what I want when I want it. With warfarin I had to have my blood tested once or twice a week and had to keep my greens somewhat constant in order to avoid swings in my INR levels.

As for newer oral anticoagulants that are just coming onto the market now to avoid having the whole testing malarkey I mentioned, they haven't been tested on pregnant women. The only way we will find out the effect is with women accidentally falling pregnant and then reporting what happens.

Oh dear, I have gone on a bit, haven't I? Sorry I couldn't answer all your questions. I suppose that the best thing to do is ask your doctor why you need shots twice daily as opposed to once like we have here in the UK. All the best with the rest of your pregnancy and thanks for popping by with a success story xxx

Thanks for your reply Petitpas. We have Clexane in Canada, but not by that trademark ... I know we have Lovenox, Fragmin, nadroparin, etc. I am on the old drip-style unfractionated heparin, but given subcutaneously. I asked my OB about switching, but she thought heparin was more prophylactic while lmwh is more for treatment. From the reading I have done on the net, I'm not sure this is the case. Anyhow, she admits she is not an expert in this field and will consult with my RE about it. Hopefully soon ... sigh.
I read before on one of your posts (I believe) that you freeze the spot a little? Do you find this helps with the stinging? I've just got many hard little 'lumps' now that make injecting a little difficult ... plus I know it's silly, but I worry about squishing the poor baby whilst I pinch!!

Well, I can not tell a lie, that iv sucked! The original iv line infiltrated and my arm was burning like crazy. The nurse had to remove the iv and they the other arm. She poked and couldn't get a line. Back to the first arm. Poked again and couldn't get a line. At this point I'm in tears and the purse is so nervous. She says this hasn't happened to her in over 20 years. So we take a 20 minute breather. I asked her for a baby aspirin to help think my blood because she said I was clotting too quickly. She went and got a warm compress for my arm hoping it would help. 20 minutes later we literally prayed together before attempting again as I really need this treatment. Finally on the 4th poke it worked by barely sticking the needle in my vein and using a lot of tape to keep it there. The iv itself isn't bad, it's just cold. But the med she had to use after the bad iv line hurt so bad that my arm is still sore. Even so, im glad it's done. Next one is in 28 days. God I hope I get pregnant this month, I need to do this until I'm 20 weeks along!

Java, from what I have read lmwh is generally considered a lower risk to take and has therefore pretty much taken over from unfractioned heparin. If your doctor is not confident in what she is using, maybe you could ask for a consultation with a haematologist? Most doctors I have met are not familiar with the specifics of anticoagulation as it is a bit of a specialty so your doctor not knowing doesn't mean she is a bad doctor!

As for making injections more bearable, I have never tried the freezing technique (probably because I'm too impatient :lol:). The way it works best for me is to hold the pinch all the way through until I've finished and pulled the needle back out again. I jab the needle in at a right angle and push the liquid in as slowly as possible so it doesn't sting.
Ok, when I say jab the needle in, I actually just push it in because sometimes an area is more sensitive and then I will try another spot :blush: That's just a personal method though...
With everything, I still get the odd lump or extra large bruise. That's just part of the fun of this :winkwink:
My nurse told me that if I run out of belly pinch because of a bump then I can always use my thigh or even bingo wings. It is safe to continue through pregnancy on your belly if you want to as there is no way your needle (or pinching fingers) will make it through the fat layers to your baby.

Mon, what a nightmare! As if all this wasn't hard enough :nope:
Still, I almost giggled at the image of you and the nurse praying for a vein. She sounds like a nice nurse.
How are you feeling now? Xxx

Mon, what a nightmare! As if all this wasn't hard enough :nope:
Still, I almost giggled at the image of you and the nurse praying for a vein. She sounds like a nice nurse.
How are you feeling now? Xxx

Thank you petitpas, I feel better now. My arm still hurts and it's bruised up but I can laugh about it too. She really was a nice nurse!

How are you doing?

Hi Mon, glad the effects of the treatment aren't too bad. I'm doing ok. Looking forward to my body balance class this morning. Mr S said that in my next pregnancy I can continue with gentle exercise, which I am really pleased about as I hope it will help relieve some of the tremendous stress I'll be under.
I've also read that the steroids can give trouble sleeping so maybe some exercise will help with that, too? I'll find out how I react next week - eek!

Petitpas is it Prednisolone you will be taking? I sometimes have to take these for my IBD (similar to IBS but worse!) and i find that they only stop me sleeping if i take them after about 6pm, so i take them in the morning :flower: x

Yes, that's exactly what I will be taking. Point noted: must take steroids in the morning! The other five (!) pills, the pessary and the injection I take in the evening.

My Consultant has written to my GP saying I need to have Presidone... but guess what GP is refusing to give me them.... WTF???

Ooooo and hello all... sorry on a rant mission lol

Well, I can not tell a lie, that iv sucked! The original iv line infiltrated and my arm was burning like crazy. The nurse had to remove the iv and they the other arm. She poked and couldn't get a line. Back to the first arm. Poked again and couldn't get a line. At this point I'm in tears and the purse is so nervous. She says this hasn't happened to her in over 20 years. So we take a 20 minute breather. I asked her for a baby aspirin to help think my blood because she said I was clotting too quickly. She went and got a warm compress for my arm hoping it would help. 20 minutes later we literally prayed together before attempting again as I really need this treatment. Finally on the 4th poke it worked by barely sticking the needle in my vein and using a lot of tape to keep it there. The iv itself isn't bad, it's just cold. But the med she had to use after the bad iv line hurt so bad that my arm is still sore. Even so, im glad it's done. Next one is in 28 days. God I hope I get pregnant this month, I need to do this until I'm 20 weeks along!
Oh Hun.., that's just rubbish, next time make sure you dring lots of fluids for a few hours before they put a line in to make your veins nice and plump. Also before they are about to attempt to put the line in run your hand under warm water., this will work a treat xxxxx

Hi pad! I've been thinking about you a lot recently-how are you? Omg why won't they give them to you?!are they even allowed to override your consultants decision?? Xx

i miscarriaged two times in a row and i have no idea why my partner and i are having problems ttc. the only thing my doctor is saying is that it might be a genetic problem i am so scared to try again but i know that i really want a baby badly. before i marry him i want to know if we are goin to be able to have at least one child together. it hurts me to know that i might not be able to have God's precious gift to the world and my little budle of joy. i am very upset and everytime i see my family and friends with their children i go in my room and cry until i fall asleep i really need some help and support.

How annoying, pad! Still, you have a few options. a) be persistent and take some info on prof quenby's research in to convince your gp
b) cry on your gp
c) change your gp
d) call your consultant's secretary and ask them to issue a prescription, even if it is a private one (56 pills cost me £45).

How mean of your gp to make your situation even more difficult! :hugs:

he said i have to have at least three miscarriages to continue to work with me, meaning he wants me to miscarriage again inorder to help. this is a very stressful situation and i have no idea what ti do.

Thank you Mandy, I REALLY appreciate the tips! I will do just that. = )

Pad, I am so sorry about your GP. It sounds like you need to change your doctor asap.

Wantababybad, I'm so sorry that you have to have a 3rd miscarriage before getting further help. Can you seek a private doctor? Mine did testing after just 2 losses.

Good luck hun! It's your money and there is no reason why you can't get additional tests done on your dime.

Good luck for your appointment when it comes around iwantababybad! So sorry for your losses hun :hugs:

xx

sorry to be posting on here again ladies. after 11 miscarriages i am pregnant again. i am only 4 weeks and 4 days but feel so confused by it. i don't know whether i should allow myself to be excited about it or if i should accept that there is a fairly high chance i will miscarry again although all tests are negative for everything i have been tested for. i am struggling to keep calm and i am on edge all the time, i hate the waiting game x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->