"rescue dose" of steroids?

RainbowGift

mother of infant twins
Reaction score
Hi.
I had a course of steroid injections at 25 weeks because I was having contractions and was effaced and starting to dilate.
Three weeks later, I am still in the hospital, dilated further but have stopped the contractions. It is unlikely I will go full term, so they will want to give a second course of steroids when I start to threaten to labor. I have read that one course gives good results, but a second can cause problems with the babies, even though it may help the lungs.
Anyone have any thoughts on this or experience with it?
Thanks!

I had both sets of steroids and I believe quite a few of the mums on here had both as well. I hope your lo stays inside for many more weeks. Xx

I don't know I'm afraid. I had one steroid injection but my baby came about 20 mins later so there was no time for a second. Just wanted to wish you luck and I hope your baby stays put a little while longer. x

I had both lots of steroids with my last ds and glad I managed to get both as did really help him, with my girls because they were emergency's I never got them and they had worse breathing problems.

I had 2 steroid injections 24 hours apart. My son was born at 28 weeks + 6 and didn't need to be intubated thanks to the steroids.

I had both sets of steriods at 23 plus 6 and 24 weeks and Harry arrived at 24 plus 2 and the steriods helped him a huge amount, he was only ventatlied for 6 hours after his birth x

I think the problems and increased risk you have read about are occurring when doctors push to continue giving the steroids until the baby is delivered, which could mean much more than two courses. Some doctors will continue to give doses weekly until the baby is born, because the benefits of these steroids are in the first seven days of the dose being given, otherwise they are not affective after the seven days.

I am a part of numerous preemie forums, and I have never seen anyone say they regretted getting two doses. I have read a lot of deep regret about only getting one however.

Steroids can reduce brain bleeds, NEC and other serious complications. They drop the chance of mortally as well. They are not given only to help the lungs.

If you are really worried, you can agree to only be given the second dose once you are in active labor. That way you reduce the risk of the doctors trying to push them on you again and you still get the benefits of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->