Returning to work

Angel21

Mummy of 2
Reaction score
Hi ladies, I'm due to return to work on 10th July, and I'm worried about my supply. I've started a freezer stash and already have about 50oz stored. My DS will be 5.5 months old, and I'll be working 3, 8 hour shifts a week. With the commute I'll be away from him in an early shift from 6-4:30, a late shift 12 till 10:00pm. I will be able to pump during my 15 minute tea break and my 30 minute meal break. I will manage to have 1 let down during the 15 minute break and the meal break I'm thinking I'll pump before I eat and after, so 2 let downs. I only seem to let down once per session. My body just doesn't respond too well to pumping! I will also have to pump when I get home off a late shift as DS will be asleep, I may be able to feed prior to my early if he's awake, if not, I'll pump then too.

Does this amount of pumping sound like it will maintain my supply? It's no where near as much (or as effective!) as DS feeding at breast! I'm so worried about my supply. I'll be working Thursday, Friday and Sunday. Any experience and reassurance would be great :flower:

I'm afraid I'm clueless with pumping but I hope someone else can be more useful :hugs: maybe try some fennel tea to increase your supply?

That sounds like a good plan. With my DS I was still in college so I would pump two to three times during the day and my supply kept up. Just make sure you nurse you LO whenever you are around him so that you still get the natural stimulation from baby.

I have 2 cups a day and it really helps me! If it doesn't, fenugreek is great but it makes your sweat and pee smell like maple syrup :sick:

Don't know if this helps but I work 3 12 hour shifts a week and normally pump 2-3 times per shift depending on how busy the ward is. I find that my supply is maintained because dd feeds like she's never been fed on the days when we're together!

What type of pump do you have? You may find that as you use it more it works better (I don't know if this is a general thing but it happened to me) and if don't feel empty then hand express after the pump has done most of the work. I also only get one proper let down but I have noticed I get smaller surges of milk if I carry on for long enough.

Thank you, I have a hand pump, I respond better to this than an electric one. Hopefully my body should adjust. Our ward is busy and unpredictable (aren't they all? Lol!) but it's nice to hear you're doing well on pumping 3 times a day whilst in your long days. Makes me hopeful :)

I was looking online the other day for advice when I go back in august. There was a women who had an electric battery operated pump and she got a normal bra, cut out slots in her bra and pumped while driving. I thought that was a fab idea but I work less than a 10 min drive from my work so I'd never resort to that.

Would your work not allow you an extra break to accommodate pumping?

My work has a bf policy that allowed me 2 additional 30minute breaks (taken out my flexi) , my own mini fridge or if I wanted, I could leave leave work twice a day (again using my flexi) to go feed my son at his nursery xx

I work for a private hospital, who pretty much make their own rules, and law doesn't cover lactation breaks in Western Australia. I have considered asking for my breaks to be split, maybe three, fifteen minute breaks, instead of a 15 minute tea break and a 30 minute meal break. Or I thought if I just ask for an extra 10 minute break, I'd be able to fit a quick session in! My director of nursing has recent,y had a baby and breast fed, so I'm hoping we can reach an agreement :)

In the usa i get two 10 min breaks and one 30 min break ipump with a manuel one or electric. I keep up a supply. I went back to work when baby was 3 weeks with a small freezer stash. I pump at work to fridge since i dont freeze since i would have to defrost 2 days later

Definitely ask. My ward manager was on mat leave at the same time as me and her daughter is about 5 weeks younger than mine so she's really understanding. She clears out of her office so I have somewhere private to pump and she never bothers when I want to go do it so long as the ward is safe. I'm just dreading the day the crash buzzer goes while my boobs are out!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->