RIP Nelson Mandela

Just heard!

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2519062/Nelson-Mandela-dead-95.html

xx

NO WAY!.... Wow! I thought he'd live forever! Wonderful man...RIP x

Today there was a premier to a movie about Mandelas life which kate and will attended

95 years! He always was a strong man. RIP Nelson Mandela.

"No one is born hating another person because of the colour of his skin, or his background, or his religion. People must learn to hate, and if they can learn to hate, they can be taught to love, for love comes more naturally to the human heart than its opposite." -
Nelson Mandela

He was a terrorist who supported some horrific practices.

He was a terrorist who supported some horrific practices.

Right...what terrorist activities were he directly involved in that warranted more than his 27 year sentence? Because if you're talking about the MK bombings that involved fatalities ...he was incarcerated at that time; he was involved in non-fatal attacks on military installations before his arrest. So yeah...those bombings that involved civilians were not spearheaded by Mandela unless anybody cares to correct me, he was just an original founder of the organisation and was arrested very soon after. Now, I'm not saying he wasn't a 'terrorist' in the loose sense as he was obviously involved in anti-government activities in his youth, but are you honestly saying his good didn't counteract his flaws? Because then I really don't think you've comprehended the absolute struggle of the South African people. Even our own heads of state were pro apartheid.

The fact that people still don't see Mandela as a titan of South Africa defies belief. His love was incredible in a country that was fueled by hate. He has left a mark on generations to come, and South Africa will one day find harmony built on the foundations that he laid. There is a long journey ahead of them, and South Africa still has many problems, but these photos showing white and black people singing and crying together give me hope.

Mandela never claimed to be a saint, infact he said -

"I am not a saint, unless you think of a saint as a sinner who keeps on trying."

He could have come out of prison thirsty for revenge, but he didn't. That's what makes him great. He was willing to reach out to former enemies and prevent a violent bloodbath.

Tragedy, but at least he had a long life and died surrounded by his family. R.i.p x

He was member of Umkhonto we Sizwe, a terrorist organisation. So yes he was terrorist!

Call him what you want, a freedom fighter or whatever. He was committed to changing the way South Africa was run and he was prepared to do that using whatever means.

He was member of Umkhonto we Sizwe, a terrorist organisation. So yes he was terrorist!

Call him what you want, a freedom fighter or whatever. He was committed to changing the way South Africa was run and he was prepared to do that using whatever means.

Which is what I said...in fact he was a co-founder, not only a member. 'Terrorist' is somebody who uses scare tactics to reign control over a government, so the argument is there I suppose that he was once a terrorist. But can you really say that is his legacy? That he achieved his goals through terrorism?

I don't think it's fair to say 'whatever means' if he was not involved in the fatal bombings. By that logic, he would have conducted a very different movement once released from prison, rather than the message of peace and unity he pursued. He did not organise the death of anyone, yet is being continuously attached to MKs darkest acts today.

That article is good at exploring some of the criticisms that have been circling around today. I agree with the sentiment of it - that he wasn't a 'saint' or the epitome of morality, but an undeniably great political force.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/dec/06/mandela-radical?CMP=fb_ot

Which is what I said...in fact he was a co-founder, not only a member. 'Terrorist' is somebody who uses scare tactics to reign control over a government, so the argument is there I suppose that he was once a terrorist. But can you really say that is his legacy? That he achieved his goals through terrorism?

I don't think it's fair to say 'whatever means' if he was not involved in the fatal bombings. By that logic, he would have conducted a very different movement once released from prison, rather than the message of peace and unity he pursued. He did not organise the death of anyone, yet is being continuously attached to MKs darkest acts today.

I can't say what his legacy is or will be. Of course the fact that apartheid has ended is brilliant but the media make out that it was all because of him. Little mention of De Klerk.

Mandela was also against IRA decommissioning and his ex-wife was involved in some serious inhuman stuff.

I suppose I just don't understand people who are suggesting that he was some sort of saint.

I can't say what his legacy is or will be. Of course the fact that apartheid has ended is brilliant but the media make out that it was all because of him. Little mention of De Klerk.

Mandela was also against IRA decommissioning and his ex-wife was involved in some serious inhuman stuff.

I suppose I just don't understand people who are suggesting that he was some sort of saint.

I honestly do see what you mean (and Winnie Mandela is a whole different matter). The IRA comment certainly sounds like it was a misguided and loaded comment to make - I assume he wasn't justifying the slaughters that the IRA committed though and I will have to look into it a little more.

I think the iconic nature of him does more harm than good as people are less inclined to actually research the man, more favouring putting his quotes on top of pictures and assuming all he did was pure and just. Whilst I have immense respect for the man, there's no denying that he was simply human and everybody should be informed of his colourful life story, flaws and all. Why hide anything?

I suppose a slightly comparable figure would be Churchill - the man wasn't perfect (there are accusations of him being racist and resentful of the poor), but he will always be cemented as a beacon of victory. I guess what I'm trying to say is no figurehead comes without their baggage, but holistically I believe that Mandela was a great man.

One of the great leaders and an inspiration to humanity.
RIP Mandela and thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"