SAHM's... Do you get a lie in at the weekend?

It's not often I feel the need to sleep past when LO is up, but if I doand DH is available, he'll gladly take over for me. He's usually the first one up in our house anyway! He doesn't care if I nap with LO or anything either. We're both at home right now! When he was working though he'd gladly take over on the weekends. I breastfeed so obviously my breaks are limited but I love having a husband who will jump at the chance to spend time with his son!!

My only gripe is he never thinks to change the baby's diaper first thing in the morning. I'd get up late and find out the poor kid is filled to the brim with pee! Well I can't say "never" actually. He had to deal with a poosplosion on a recent morning and ever since is more on top of that.

No but only because I'm up anyway. Sophie gets up at 7 and I'm awake then anyway so just get up. My OH always tells me to have a lie in though! I'm just not good at having a lie in :shrug:

I think you need to have a serious chat with your OH. It's not right that he doesn't seem to be pulling his weight at all. At the end of the day it's his baby too!

Good luck. Hope things improve for you. You must be knackered :flower:

My DH usually gets the boys in the morning and lets me sleep in while he works. I have trouble sleeping at night.

My OH gives me the whole 'I've been working all week speach' aswel. But until they realise what it's like having a baby all day they won't realise how hard it can be. The reason I say this is because (I hate to admit this) but b4 baby I honestly thort being at home all day with a baby would be easy. I had plans of having home cooked meals ready every night and a nice clean house ..... Yeah right!!!!!

So I had to remember if that's what I thought then it's no wander that's what my OH would think. The best thing I did was my mum dragged me out one night,nit was only a couple of hours but OH had no choice but to look after LO and it did his confidence the world of good as before he didn't believe in himself and let me do everything. since then I made it clear he could have a lie I'm Saturday and I would Sunday. No neogation. You just have to be firm.

Now my OH gets up no problem with LO (well sometimes he needs a gentle reminder haha) and he actually loves spending time on his own with him. I must admit the first few weeks they would always end up back upstairs to me within the hour as he would need help with something but I didn't mind that as even though most time I can't sleep through the noise they make it's still nice to lie in bed looking through Facebook/BnB without a baby trying nick off with your phone.

I go back to work full time soon so we will have to look at things again soon as I will not do all the housework aswel as working full time as I want to value all the time I get with LO so won't be spending all my days off cleaning but I know he will help out if I ask him to.

So yeah basically I think your OH needs a kick up the bum. I honestly think for some men they just don't have the confidence and belief in themselves but once they know they can cope he will realise all this time he's been missing out with his son.

I've been really tempted to go out for a few hours and leave OH and LO to spend some father-son time together but OH says he really doesn't feel confident enough to look after LO, I kinda get that because I was absolutely terrified at first as I'm sure every new parent is at some point!

The thing that annoys me is that I've been poorly for the last week with a bladder and kidney infection and OH is still leaving me to do everything. I think it partly comes down to the fact that when he was growing up his mum did everything so now OH thinks this is just common practise.

He is off work for 2 weeks after this week so I'm going to go out one day and see if I can change his way of thinking that looking after a baby is easy. I suppose it is easy in some aspects but in others it is emotionally draining.

I will make him understand eventually! :thumbup:

My OH gives me the whole 'I've been working all week speach' aswel. But until they realise what it's like having a baby all day they won't realise how hard it can be. The reason I say this is because (I hate to admit this) but b4 baby I honestly thort being at home all day with a baby would be easy. I had plans of having home cooked meals ready every night and a nice clean house ..... Yeah right!!!!!

So I had to remember if that's what I thought then it's no wander that's what my OH would think. The best thing I did was my mum dragged me out one night,nit was only a couple of hours but OH had no choice but to look after LO and it did his confidence the world of good as before he didn't believe in himself and let me do everything. since then I made it clear he could have a lie I'm Saturday and I would Sunday. No neogation. You just have to be firm.

Now my OH gets up no problem with LO (well sometimes he needs a gentle reminder haha) and he actually loves spending time on his own with him. I must admit the first few weeks they would always end up back upstairs to me within the hour as he would need help with something but I didn't mind that as even though most time I can't sleep through the noise they make it's still nice to lie in bed looking through Facebook/BnB without a baby trying nick off with your phone.

I go back to work full time soon so we will have to look at things again soon as I will not do all the housework aswel as working full time as I want to value all the time I get with LO so won't be spending all my days off cleaning but I know he will help out if I ask him to.

So yeah basically I think your OH needs a kick up the bum. I honestly think for some men they just don't have the confidence and belief in themselves but once they know they can cope he will realise all this time he's been missing out with his son.

Totally agree with the bit I've bolded. I thought my house would be sparkling, me and my baby would play all day, she would fall asleep for naps and bed on her own at set times..... How naive :haha: I suppose it's no wonder OH's often think we have it easy!

Edit : OP definitely go out one day and show him how hard it can be :D

I used to when my daughter was up more at night. Now she sleeps much better than the early months, so I feel well-rested and am up when she is. But my husband doesn't either. If she's up, then we're both up and getting the day started.

Working a full-time job is easier than being a full-time parent (done both, and working is definitely less exhausting). I'm at home nearly full-time still because I work from home and we can't really afford more childcare, but I long for the days when I used to have a whole day to myself for work. Now I'm responding to emails while trying to do the shopping and squeeze in two naps a day. And being as I'm running a business, finishing a grad degree, and providing nearly all the childcare, my husband knows he has the easy job, so if one of us were to get a break, it would be me!

My oh works alternative Saturdays so on the weekend he only has Sunday off I don't get a lie in but on the other weekend I do. He doesn't do it by choice and even 8 months in I still have to warn him the night before but he knows if he doesn't then I won't let him have his. Our lie ins are very different though. I have to wake with the baby still and wait for oh to get up (which can take 10 minutes or so) and then I lie there listening to lo moan (because oh doesn't know her routine) until I give up at get up about 9. He normally lies in until about 11 (I wake him after lo's morning nap). He then normally falls asleep on the sofa in the afternoon despite me being the one who was up early. This annoys me more than anything else. I'm also the one who does all night wakings even if oh is still awake it's rare he helps because he is normally playing ps3. Can't you just not let your oh lie in until he agrees it should be equal (or at least a bit fairer)? For me refusing to get out of bed wouldn't work because lo would scream and I would give in first but bugging him and dumping the baby on him on his lie in day does work.

Ha. I work full time all week and DH still won't let me sleep in even one day a week. He regularly sleeps until nearly noon on the weekends too. He works part time and goes to school though.

My oh has given me a lie in twice in the 18 months we've had our daughter. I don't mind so much now as I'm up like clockwork come 6am anyways so it would be pointless for my oh to get up and for me just to lie in bed awake.

My husband usually would take her one night / morning on the weekend so I could rest more! :)

Now she's sleeping through the night (most of the time), so I usually up and ready to go when she is on the weekends, and I let my husband sleep in since he has to wake up early for work all week!

:flower:

I take a long lie on Saturday and DH has his one Sunday.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->