Sandwich fillers

lesleyann

Mummy
Reaction score
Ok so Lo is now 9months and i have noidea what to put in sandwiches and im hoping to only have him on 1jar per day next month.

currently Food wise we have Toast for breakfast 1 slice
Stage 2 jar and finger foods for lunch
Stage 2 Jar and finger foods for dinner lol

But i have no idea what to put in a sandwich and witch brands of what stuff is good to use?

I have some chocolate spread i sometimes put on his toast to change it up a bit just a cheap one which said no nuts since Oh's chocolate spread has hazel nuts in :dohh:

and 1 7/8oz bottles between breakfast and lunch then between lunch and dinner then just before bed.

his no good with a sippy but i got him a tommie tippie Noobly(sp?) 9month+ bottle on the go which he takes some water out of. he does not drink much of it but every little helps lol trying to get him onto drinking water ready for our holiday to spain in july when he will be 13months.

Cheese spread, marmite, jam, ham, thinly sliced cheese... :)

Fruit spread, tuna, tuna mayo. We mainly do things on toast for lunch. I don't think they're meant to have more than one slice of bread at this age though so you might want to think about something other than toast for breakfast if you're doing sandwiches for lunch.

2 slices of bread is the maximum per day - but to give them that, the rest of their food that day is going to have to be pretty much salt free.

Like Lu we only do bread/toast at one meal per day.

Mashed avocado is good on bread, we do open sandwiches atm though!

ahh i thought it would be ok now im lost at what to give for lunch lol :dohh:

I know what you mean, I wish I could give Ruby bread / toast for 2 meals, it'd be easier sometimes! But with my OH not getting in til late it's just easier to give Ruby toast for her tea most of the time so I have to come up with other stuff for lunch.

Is he good with finger foods? I give Ruby pasta with a really simple tomato or cheese sauce for lunch a fair bit, or an omelette.

I know what you mean, I wish I could give Ruby bread / toast for 2 meals, it'd be easier sometimes! But with my OH not getting in til late it's just easier to give Ruby toast for her tea most of the time so I have to come up with other stuff for lunch.

Is he good with finger foods? I give Ruby pasta with a really simple tomato or cheese sauce for lunch a fair bit, or an omelette.

his good with organix finger foods but proper finger foods he will take a couple of bites and throw it where as he would eat a whole bag of organix :dohh:

At the sundays we go to Ohs parents for dinner he has a whole sunday dinner make for him and the only bit his ever intrested in is a bit of yorky lol

cannot give him our dinners during the week since Oh gets home at 6pm and Lo has dinner before then :dohh: thats why i give him a jar for dinner.

I just always seemed stumped at what i can give him. He used to love cucumber but now hates it lol he loves bread lmao!! hates fruit :dohh:

Might have to try pasta, put it with different things like a bit of tune one day or some cheese the next.

Is there any adult breakfast cereal i can give him? that it good to pick up so not risecrispsys lol because he can have a little bit of full fat milk now i think not sure lol :dohh:

god the weaning is harder than being pregnant and labour :dohh:

Unrelated qustion to right now but can a 1year old have bottled water ? Since of course when we go away for the week he cannot have the tap water.

BI'm very new to this so sorry if I'm way off, but what about bread alternatives like crackerbreads or rice cakes? I know you can spread them with puree's or spreads instead of using toast/bread (Mum used to diet a lot when I was little so I got ryvitas instead of bread growing up.....not sure about salt in these things though so would have to check.

going to try pasta with tuna and sweetcorn for lunch today :thumbup: hopefully he will watch me eat it and join in lol :thumbup:

Pasta bows and twists seem to work best for us.

Aimee is right, you could try rice cakes (watch the salt in things like crackerbread though) Ruby just spits them out though!

Ruby hates fruit atm too.

I'm not sure about bottled water - I'd have thought I'd be ok for a one year old but maybe someone can clarify!

I give Ruby weetabix for breakfast - I moisten it with a little bit of milk so it's slightly soft but still easy for her to pick up, then I break it into manageable pieces. I have given her oatibix bites before but I tried them myself and they tasted sooo sweet, not wanting to encourage a sweet tooth so I ditched them.

On sandwiches I usually give grated cheese, philadelphia cream cheese, ham, mashed banana, tuna mixed with a little natural yogurt.

would/should/does anyone give mayo to a 7 month old? was going to give him some tuna mayo or egg mayo sandwiches etc but then wasn't sure whether that is ok at this age!

would/should/does anyone give mayo to a 7 month old? was going to give him some tuna mayo or egg mayo sandwiches etc but then wasn't sure whether that is ok at this age!

Yeah shop-bought mayo is ok. Basically it just needs to be pasturised.

Hi there, it's a minefield isn't it...lol

I am currently doing a nutrician course and last week we covered weaning 0-1 years.

They stated here that babies should not have some bottled watter because of the minerals and high levels of sodium that are in there, you can have other bottled water needs to be labeled as spring water not mineral water, Evian is fine I think, check the label has no more than 200mg sodium per litre. It was also stated here not to give babies filtered water through filter jugs as filaments of metal have been found in the water...

The other thing that I found strange was to give your baby white bread and pasta etc until 1 as wholemeal stops the absorbsion of iron. :shrug:

Theres so many do's and don't's it's confusing...my mouth was wide open!!!!!LOL

Back to the original question..I give egg mayo, cheese spread, tuna, avacado, banana, jam

Hi there, it's a minefield isn't it...lol

I am currently doing a nutrician course and last week we covered weaning 0-1 years.

They stated here that babies should not have some bottled watter because of the minerals and high levels of sodium that are in there, you can have other bottled water needs to be labeled as spring water not mineral water, Evian is fine I think, check the label has no more than 200mg sodium per litre. It was also stated here not to give babies filtered water through filter jugs as filaments of metal have been found in the water...

The other thing that I found strange was to give your baby white bread and pasta etc until 1 as wholemeal stops the absorbsion of iron. :shrug:

Theres so many do's and don't's it's confusing...my mouth was wide open!!!!!LOL

Back to the original question..I give egg mayo, cheese spread, tuna, avacado, banana, jam

Wholemeal stops the absorption of iron, when it is a source of iron in itself? I am now very confused!

I know...I don't get it...they also said that wholmeal can be to harsh on their tummys :shrug::shrug::shrug:

Do you know what...I weaned my first fine no probs, go with your instincts is what I say!!!!!

I know...I don't get it...they also said that wholmeal can be to harsh on their tummys :shrug::shrug::shrug:

Do you know what...I weaned my first fine no probs, go with your instincts is what I say!!!!!

I can understand not wanting to give too much high fibre food as it fills them up so much, so that they may not take as much of other foods, resulting in them not taking in enough nutrients.

My LO won't eat white bread anyway. I bought some once for a change, but she didn't like it. :dohh:

It is my aim to study nutrition at some point too so I hope I will understand some of these things then!

Yeah shop-bought mayo is ok. Basically it just needs to be pasturised.

Thanks - that was my original thought but then I panicked!!!!
:blush::haha:

Re Bread - we use that 50-50 stuff, and I've been giving AJ that - not that he eats much of it, maybe a quarter of a slice - occasionally half a slice!! is that ok to give - or should we try and switch him to white bread???

I was brought up only eating white bread and even now find it hard to switch to wholemeal and didn't want him to have the same problem!!

EDIT: - Some people give their LO's marmite but isn't that too high in salt?

Well according to maccy's nutrition course you should give white.

But according to everything else I've read (and I am a big reader, lol) it's fine to give wholemeal foods as part of a balanced diet, which I do.

I've given Ruby toast with a scraping of marmite about twice ever, it's probably not the greatest thing to give but occasionally it's fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leoniee
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->