Saving money- The Aldi Challenge??

We tend to do a few shops. I'm lucky and I live in a big town with Sainsburys, Asda, Morrisons, two small Tescos and some Co-Ops, B&M Bargains, Home Bargains, Iceland, Farmfoods etc. We shop as follows:

B&M/Home Bargains - fizzy juice, toiletries, lop and kitchen roll, cleaning products, cupboard goods. Iams dog food is dignitary cheaper, are are dog treats etc.
Iceland - frozen veg and the odd Birds Eye product. Oven chips and frozen baked potatoes.
Morrisons/Asda - milk, cold meat, and whatever meat is on 3 for £10 which we freeze as it is only oh who eats meat (I'm vegetarian) plus some sort of meat alternatives for me, depending what's on offer. Plus eggs and sometimes cereal as I'm a snob for cereals and eggs! Oh, and bread products which again we freeze as we don't use much at all and I like the nicer stuff!
Aldi - fresh produce only. We save over 50% on this generally.

I love Aldi. We're never more than £30 for a full weeks shop which includes all of my lunches as I'm off on maternity leave. We were averaging £50-60 a week at Tesco before we switched.

I love Aldi could not live without it, we find less foods are usedin our house now, more fruit and veg and less cakes and biscuits love their meat in fact the only product I found we don't like is their crab sticks. We find the quality fantastic and I pile the trolley without even worrying, mind you wish I could all do what you do, managed to spend £140 in their last week :dohh:

£140 in aldi top trump? Did you have two trolleys for for bursting? Lol

i'm not sold on aldi at all.
I can never find anything i need in there! i don't spend that much in asda anyways £50-£60 usually including nappies or household products.
I like that there's more variety, sometimes you can get the branded stuff on offer too which is always a bonus. I'm not a brand snob but there's some things that are just no comparison haha.
I don't drive so for me it's essential to get everything all in one place.

I love lidl's bakery and scoop your own pistachios when they have them. I can do a small pick up shop in aldi or lidl but no way can I do a full one. I shop with tesco instead as I paid £15 for a years worth of midweek deliveries :)

I haven't done the challenge but on the occasions I've been into Aldi and lidl I've been disappointed to find that I don't get a massive bargain and save loads of money. I usually but asda own brand and smart price too and I have seen things in lidl that I know for a fact I can buy cheaper in asda!

Also I spend £70 a week on 6 people and pets in asda. Last week I only spent £55 then got the boys snacks in the pound shop so only spent about £60

I shop in Aldi and think it's much cheaper than Tesco. My tesco shop would be nearly £100 per week before we had ds3, Aldi is about £70 and that includes the added expense of nappies and formula for ds3. I still get a few bits from the supermarket in town but that's because I personally don't like the Aldi equivalent.

Also agree with pp for some reason Aldi scan your shopping super quick but expect you to put it back in your trolley and then pack your bags away from the tills at the big worktop at the back

I love Aldi I went there today and spent £33 for our weekly shop. I am doing slimming world and love all there fruit and veggies xxx

you are meant to pack at the benches at the side. If you dont know that it probably is quite a shock how fast they go!

My dh hates aldi.....why...? Because they dont do scan as you shop like tesco's do. So yeah dh, pay more for food and see how far we get saving up for a house.

I love aldi, i help my mum with her food shopping there and she loves it. I do to, i love their own version of twix and milky way bars yum!

Maybe when we have children dh will change his tune :)

I shop in Aldi 3 out of 4 weeks a month, the other week is usually Tescos to stock up on the washing powder & a few other bits I don't like in Aldi, here in Ireland 1 of the Sunday papers has been issuing vouchers for €10 off aldi when you spent €50 for the last few weeks, very handy as I'd usually spend around €50 - €60 p.w. in Aldi, I like the quality of most of their foods, the fruit & veg is great value, where I live Aldi i& Lidl are always packed & the other supermarkets are struggling to stay open.

I went to Aldi once and it was hell on earth. I couldnt make it to the shop, just trying to find a parking space in their tiny car park and 20+ other cars trying to find a space....i fudged of to ASDA.
If they do online shopping then i might give them a go.

I've tried and tried aldi. Really Ive given it my best try many times. I find the variety limiting and frustrating but worst of all, though I enjoyed the meats we have actually eaten, Everything meat wise we kept refrigerated but it went off and manky before the date on the packets. Mince, chicken, whole chickens. Every time. We never have problems with tesco or waitrose like that. The fruit also always go bad quick. We buy 2 punnets of grapes at a time from tesco and they last the week. I was lucky to get 2 says from aldi but they do say it can be an area thing, and I know my mum doesn't have a problem with her aldi in kent.

I bought fruit from Aldi this summer. And it all went rotten within a couple of days. The peaches didn't even ripen, they were rock hard then rotten.

Do you know what I am so weirdly happy to see that other people don't like Aldi either. Everyone I know always raves about it and looks at me like I'm mad when I say I wouldn't do a full shop there every week

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->