scan not until 16-18weeks

distantsun

Isaac's Mummy
Reaction score
I went to my first GP appointment on Friday. It was just really adminstrative but he took my blood pressure, heart rate and prodded my tummy a bit and he said all was fine.

I then booked in for my booking in appointment which will be on the 5th May. They give me a pack to read through with varoius leaflets etc.

In the pack was a schedule of all the appointments i would have and apparently I will have my dating scan between 16 and 18 weeks. I was thinking 12 was the normal time in fact counting down the weeks was keeping me sane.

Does this sound right. I'm going to question it at the appointment and see if i can get an earlier one. Does anyone else's doctors make them wait so long?

Thanks
Emma

I was under the impression they usually do the dating scan and nuchal scan (testing the thickness of the skin at the back of the babys neck) between 10-14weeks as this is the most accurate time. Have a little read in your book to see, or maybe someone on here can be more helpful.

I'm sure if you wanted that nuchal scan it may have to be earlier than what they've indicated, if not it could be later. Some hospitals have quite a waiting list, so that may be when they can fit you in ... but if you want the nuchal scan they may have to fit you in!

Sorry to not be more helpful, i haven't got that little book yet or a scan date (i'm only 5w4days!) LOL
x

i would ring your midwife, i would still be waiting if i had not been on the phone to her, got my dating scan on wednesday and i was the same, counting the weeks till i could be excited and tell people, cant keep it in no longer, just want everything to be ok. if they wont scan you till 16weeks find a private place to scan you, we have a local one in leamington spa that will do it for £50 you get pictures and a dvd and they show it on a huge screen, my friend did it for peace of mind at 10weeks cause the worring was sending her crazy! hope that helps

Not all health authorities offer the nuchal test as a Down's marker. I had the triple test (blood test at 16 weeks) instead. So I'm guessing that they do similar where you are - you can't insist on getting a service they don't provide. Though you could go private for this if you want.

It's not unheard of for people to get late scans, though one potential issue is that dating may not be so exact - I thought the 11-14 week window was the optimum time for dating, as after that growth fluctuates more from person to person.

I went to my first GP appointment on Friday. It was just really adminstrative but he took my blood pressure, heart rate and prodded my tummy a bit and he said all was fine.

I then booked in for my booking in appointment which will be on the 5th May. They give me a pack to read through with varoius leaflets etc.

In the pack was a schedule of all the appointments i would have and apparently I will have my dating scan between 16 and 18 weeks. I was thinking 12 was the normal time in fact counting down the weeks was keeping me sane.

Does this sound right. I'm going to question it at the appointment and see if i can get an earlier one. Does anyone else's doctors make them wait so long?

Thanks
Emma

When I went to my GP first she told me that I wouldn't get a scan till 20 weeks (apparently that is normal here in southern Ireland, don't know about the north). She gave me loads of leaflets about private scans in case I wanted to get one sooner! But then when I rang the midwife, she booked me in for a scan at almost 13 weeks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->