Second Hand Clothing - Opinions!!

xx~Lor~xx

Young mummy of 3 <3
Reaction score
Okay girls, what's your stand on second hand clothing? Do you use them or do you prefer to buy new? Are you happy when people offer or give you hand me downs, or are you a bit put out? Do you pass on your kids old clothing?

This has come up for me because I've noticed it in a couple of posts in teen pregnancy, that they're not happy to accept second hand clothing etc and want to buy all brand new, and I'm just curious where you all stand!!
Second hand clothing has just never been an issue for me, in fact it's been a god send not having to go and spend money we don't have spare, on brand new clothes. In fact I've given to ex members, and got a ton of stuff from Mellie1988 on here, and it's AMAZINGGG!

I really like second hand clothing (Edit: I do prefer to buy new though) :thumbup: I was given a ton at my baby shower and it helped out so much! I keep almost everything, unless it has stains that I won't be able to get out, or has holes in it, but that is obvious :haha:

Any time someone offers to give me something, I always take it because it's an act of kindness & them just wanting to help out, you know? If you don't want something, you can politely accept it & then discard it or donate it after you are back at home. Anything, anything at all that is given to me I always thank someone .. it's just them being kind :shrug:

We are 50/50 as far as used/new clothing ... half her wardrobe is new, & half of it is second-hand. It has saved us a butt load of money & I appreciate it every day :)

I usually donate Brenna's clothing to goodwill after she grows out of them, but if I know someone who is expecting a baby, I will gladly give the clothes to that person. Regardless, I think people should just be happy with what they're given. Whether it be in perfect condition, ripped, torn, etc. It came from the kindness of someone else's heart & if you don't want them just donate or recycle them :thumbup:

Edit: Brand new baby clothes can get extremely expensive too, & your LO is in them for such a short period of time. It isn't worth the expense IMO. That's why anytime I buy new I always shop at discount clothing stores (Ross Dress For Less & Marshall's), because they sell name brands for over 1/2 off! :thumbup:

I prefer to buy new, and if I was loaded I would, but eBay is my best friend and loads of Noah's recent clothes have come from there for tons cheaper than they would be new. I don't have a problem with it at all and find it pretty snobby and ungrateful when people turn their noses up at being given it. When Noah was little he got given loads and although it wasn't all to my taste he wore it all at some point. I gave all Noah's unisex stuff to FOB's sister but cos she had a girl I'm trying to sell all his other stuff cos I don't know anyone with baby boys. Not having much luck though lol x

I wouldn't buy second hand from a shop, I just wouldn't. Just personal preferance of course. I'm all too aware that you can find magnificant bargains and like new stuff but it's just not for me. Tbh I think it's mostly to do with not knowing who's owned it before (not that it really makes a diff, it's either in good condition or not) and the fact that I don't have the patience to rummage through stuff just in the hope of finding something I may like, hence the reason I avoid shops like TK MAXX like the plague!

I'm not against second hand stuff in general, for example I had a few bits and bobs given to me from my best mates girl as she's seven months older than Summer. But no, I wouldn't buy second hand from a shop. Just personal preferance :)

I'd rather buy new but second hand is so cheap, so we buy anything with no visible wear. If you hunt, you can find a lot.

I prefer buying new.
When i was pregnant with Aliyah i never even thought twice about going charity shops or looking on Ebay. Everything HAD to be new and the 'best'.
This time round though..Im not as bothered buy having the 'best' things. Obv i want this baby to have exactly what Aliyah had iykwim?
BUT i have brought loads of things of Ebay and off here off people. The clothes have to be in very good condition though. Quite fussy with what second hand stuff i buy but i deffo don't rule it out now.
Sometimes i find better 2nd hand stuff in the charity shop thats brand new,than what i could afford new! lool

We live in a really nice area and the thrift shop is RIGHT next to a huge plantation so 90% of the secondhand clothes are almost brand new, I've found many with the tags still (adult included). And per clothing item for babies its .47 cents a piece. Can't beat that. Most of Emerald's clothes when she was little up until about 7 months, were new. But since then I've bought second hand. And we always get compliments on her clothing.

For her birthday I found a pair of size 4 slip on pink and white checkered Vans at the thrift shop for her, and they were $1.50 for the pair, when it would have been $25 at least new. They didn't have a stain on them! We've had immense luck with the thrift shops up the road from me. GREAT prices and really high quality items. But when I lived downtown for example, the quality of the items wasn't nearly as nice. Where as 9/10 of the clothes in the thrift shop here are namebrand, they were more like walmart brand in the downtown thrift shops.

Second hand junkie here. I love charity shop clothes, for me and issy, because I can afford much nicer stuff nearly new than I'd ever get brand new!

At the beginning we were giving a few second hand clothes, some he did wear the rest went to a charity shop. As he is getting bigger and growing quicker I really am thank full for him having a cousin that is a year older as he grows out of clothes just as Kian needs a bigger size. We do buy brand new clothes but at the speed he is growing I am thankful of the help SiL has gave us!

We bought loads of 6-9 months when SiL give us loads of 9-12 months and I was reallt grateful as Kian totally missed 6-9 months clothes and jumped straight to 9-12. So we started to buy him 1-1.5 years now as the 9-12 just about fit him!

Connor pretty much lives in 2nd hand clothes :haha: I love them! My mum's got a few friends with toddlers, and they hand everything down to Connor. Because of this, most of his clothes are next, debenhams, mothercare, etc.

I welcome secondhand clothes gladly! Money can be so tight and cannot afford brand new clothes all the time, eBay is my best friend and alot of clothes are passed down from a family friend although not so much now as theo is catching upto the little boy and they are both in 2-3 now lol!

I always pass on the clothes where I can, sometimes not possible as theo is quite messy and he tends to wear his current clothes alot more than his smaller ones.

Btw might have some more stuff for Logan, what size is he in now? Think I have some 9-12 and 12-18 month stuff! Might box it up and send and what u don't want just get rid of!

X

Budgetwise I prefer second hand because I can get nicer stuff for the same price as new basics - like I bought a Merino Kids sleeping bag for £26 the other day which would've been £60 new and you can buy a whole bunch of sleepsuits for a few quid on ebay. I have a Me Too snowsuit I got for £22 and some nice Zara/Bluezoo/Benetton/Junior J bits which would've been really dear brand new but cost less than it would've done just going to a supermarket or Primark for new clothes. I'd rather that then new IYKWIM. All his younger baby stuff was basically plain 2nd hand blue and white onesies or vests that were ridiculously cheap but now he's older and nearly walking around I'm enjoying dressing him more. I feel more guilty buying him new clothes than I would 2nd hand TBH

Most of Kailees stuff is second hand. That is mainly because I get so much of it from others. Like garbage bags full, and also I buy used from shops or people selling. I don't mind because shes to little to understand and once its washed its not dirty, and almost everything has little to no stains or anything. I buy her clothes new still depending but I hate seeing stuff i pay more for get messy second hand stuff i hardly mind getting stained because its not like i just put out a bunch for that outfit.

I only buy second hand clothing! I live like a mile away from a used kid shop, so I'm constantly buying used toys and used clothes. I honestly won't buy any new clothing for Kenneth unless I really have to. I don't see the point in spending like $10 for a new outfit when you can get like five new outfits when you buy used, plus no one even knows! The only person who knows is me! I might as well save $ buying used clothes until he is in school when he'll be wanting all the name brand stuff ;)

I don't have any 2nd hand clothes for Oliver. There isn't a charity shop here and most of my friends don't have kids. He got given SO much brand new clothing when he was first born, more than enough clothes to fit him until he is over a year, so I just pick up bits an pieces of clothing. Where I live people usually tend to start passing down clothes when they get a bit older :shrug: I also don't have an ebay account.

^I have just worked out how to use paypal through Ebay and it's not good. Spent so much money today alone lol!

I prefer to buy new, but we don't always have the money too. I live across the road from 3 charity shops, so I tend to go there whenever I am out and normally come back with a couple bits, for 50p a piece you can't go wrong.

I love second-hand clothes. I got TONS of clothes and blankets from friends who'd had children before me. I mean, it's all nice stuff, and we just washed it... good as new. :D Baby clothes are so expensive (not to mention, babies grow out of them SO quickly), it seems silly to not except anything that is used!

^I have just worked out how to use paypal through Ebay and it's not good. Spent so much money today alone lol!

Haha I really need to learn! Would save sooo much money! Luckily I got so much when he was born so haven't had to buy much!

most of raphi's stuff is second hand and it all looks brand new! :D i do buy her the odd bit but personally i think its a waste of money [plus i'm lucky to have lots of generous friends/people eager to dump their old shit on me! :dohh:] but babies grow so quickly and get SO dirty and clothes can cost quite a bit!

i mostly buy her shoes [slight addict] and fancy dress stuff :haha:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->