Sexist Traditions

I dont think we should say there is specific jobs. I did work in a largely female dominated job, do i think i was better at in than a man could be, no i dont. I look after lo but know my dh could do just as good a job. I wanted to sah. I can do diy just as well as dh. The list goes on, i want my daughter to be open to do what she wants not narrowed by gender. When i dated my husband i paid my half. I did as many romantic gestures as him. Our roles are traditional due to i wanted to stay at home not because i am better suited

There's a lot more acceptance nowadays for women to do "men's" jobs (at May time when the students are all in their overalls which have different colours for different courses I see so many females in the engineering, electrician, construction etc overalls) but definitely society needs to work on accepting men in "women's" jobs. And really to move on from the idea of "male" and "female" jobs altogether. And equally it should be accepted when people choose "traditional" roles for instance the SAHM thing, or even housewives - I think its terrible when some feminists think that its unfeminist to stay home, as long as you are choosing and not being forced into a choice you don't want then it is feminist really.

I dont think we should say there is specific jobs. I did work in a largely female dominated job, do i think i was better at in than a man could be, no i dont. I look after lo but know my dh could do just as good a job. I wanted to sah. I can do diy just as well as dh. The list goes on, i want my daughter to be open to do what she wants not narrowed by gender. When i dated my husband i paid my half. I did as many romantic gestures as him. Our roles are traditional due to i wanted to stay at home not because i am better suited

I think the way society is, jobs have traditional genders.
Like I could do plumbing or security, but how many women would you actually see doing these?

There is also the gender pay gap.

"The three major occupations where women earned more were as transport drivers, electricians and agricultural workers. These are all male dominated occupations, employing fewer than 50,000 women compared to 1.5 million men." https://www.theguardian.com/money/2013/nov/07/gender-pay-gap-official-figures-disparity

I work just as had as any man would, yet in my job, I'm still getting paid less than a man. Like I said on post #44

Maybe it's just me, maybe I've just been dumb and chose a poor paid career :shrug: but the majority of men earn more than the majority of women

I think the way society is, jobs have traditional genders.
Like I could do plumbing or security, but how many women would you actually see doing these?

There is also the gender pay gap.

"The three major occupations where women earned more were as transport drivers, electricians and agricultural workers. These are all male dominated occupations, employing fewer than 50,000 women compared to 1.5 million men." https://www.theguardian.com/money/2013/nov/07/gender-pay-gap-official-figures-disparity

I work just as had as any man would, yet in my job, I'm still getting paid less than a man. Like I said on post #44

Maybe it's just me, maybe I've just been dumb and chose a poor paid career :shrug: but the majority of men earn more than the majority of women

I don't come across plumbers very often but I see a lot of women doing security.

I watched this show that looked into a murder in Australia in the outback. A man and a woman were in the outback and he was murdered whereas she survived. The show focused a bit on media perception. It showed how they focused on how she reacted in public and it was perceived that as a woman she Should be struggling, breaking down. She wasn't . She was always composed. It was automatically assumed she had murdered him. She was innocent but the media had a field day over it. All because as a woman he should be breaking down in tears.

Men and women should be paid the same. I will always encourage my lo to go into whatever job she wants. I love kids so went into teaching. I remember at school those who had not done well in exams were if a girl encoraged in to hairdressing or child care and boys in to plumbing, mechanic that sort of thing and it was total steriotyping

I watched this show that looked into a murder in Australia in the outback. A man and a woman were in the outback and he was murdered whereas she survived. The show focused a bit on media perception. It showed how they focused on how she reacted in public and it was perceived that as a woman she Should be struggling, breaking down. She wasn't . She was always composed. It was automatically assumed she had murdered him. She was innocent but the media had a field day over it. All because as a woman he should be breaking down in tears.

I analysed tons of media reports of infanticide as part of a psychology project last year and found something a bit similar - the large majority of women were portrayed as being 'evil' and internal causes were attributed to the murders yet in more cases the male murderers were portrayed as people who were tipped over the edge by external causes.

Well, the women belittle them, put them down and make fun of them and in the same breath expect them to dote on her.
Sorry to belabour the point, but what's specific about the belittling that makes it 'emasculation'? I mean, are they saying, "You're stupid, you're useless, you can't do anything right?" Because that's just straight-up denigration, those words can be used against either sex. Or is it more, "You're a useless man, stop crying like a little girl, you shouldn't be allowed to call yourself a father?" Because those are stereotypes based on old (I would say outdated) gender stereotypes and I think feminism actually works against those.

I don't believe in feminism because I don't see the sexes as equal. We are too different to be equal. I don't want to do "man jobs" and my DH doesn't want to do "women jobs". It works for us.

And that's totally fine - no feminist wants to make you do a 'man job' or make your OH do a 'woman job' (whatever you think those might be). But do you think that women who DO want to do 'man jobs' or men who want to do 'women jobs' should be allowed to without being made ashamed of it? That's the equality feminists are looking for, not everyone having to make the same choices.

I think people should do what ever they want when ever they want, and by jobs I meant domestic work. I won't do garbage or catch spiders. DH won't clean showers or sew curtains.

My point I am trying to make is I feel gender roles have a place. It works for us. I don't like screaming feminism OR blantant chavenism. I like respect for the choices of others.

Hmm...it occurs to me that maybe we have different definitions of feminism. To me, feminism means wanting girls and women to have the same rights, opportunities, choices and privileges as boys and men. Given that definition, I cringe a bit when I hear other women say things like "I am not a feminist" or "I hate feminism".

I guess some people, though, define feminism as an attempt to harm or take things away from men, or a belief that women should be seen as better than men.

Sexism does still exist. If a boy and a girl both prepare a meal, and the girl is told, "you will make your future husband very happy" and the boy is told, "you should open a restaurant some day", that, to me, is sexism. Even though, statistically speaking, that girl is likely to get married, and likely to prepare meals for her family, it bugs me that the boy's comment encourages a career path while the girl's comment is a push towards domestic life. As an adult, if she CHOOSES to be a sahm who cooks for her family, then good for her. But as a child, let's help her dream big.

I analysed tons of media reports of infanticide as part of a psychology project last year and found something a bit similar - the large majority of women were portrayed as being 'evil' and internal causes were attributed to the murders yet in more cases the male murderers were portrayed as people who were tipped over the edge by external causes.

What in also quite curios about is how that phillpott guy and his wife were perceived through the media. I've read about how he would "switch the tears on" for the cameras. It would be interesting to see how te media saw a man, who cried on national telly and then was found guilty of crimes was seen.

Hmm...it occurs to me that maybe we have different definitions of feminism. To me, feminism means wanting girls and women to have the same rights, opportunities, choices and privileges as boys and men. Given that definition, I cringe a bit when I hear other women say things like "I am not a feminist" or "I hate feminism".

I guess some people, though, define feminism as an attempt to harm or take things away from men, or a belief that women should be seen as better than men.

Sexism does still exist. If a boy and a girl both prepare a meal, and the girl is told, "you will make your future husband very happy" and the boy is told, "you should open a restaurant some day", that, to me, is sexism. Even though, statistically speaking, that girl is likely to get married, and likely to prepare meals for her family, it bugs me that the boy's comment encourages a career path while the girl's comment is a push towards domestic life. As an adult, if she CHOOSES to be a sahm who cooks for her family, then good for her. But as a child, let's help her dream big.

Maybe I live in a very liberal country but women and men have equal rights here. It is just a given. My DH cooks, I do DIY. We share finacial burdens etc. That is probably why my definition of feminism is totally different. It is a moot point here, not even brought up unless it is by an angry, bent out of shape woman. I see how it is different else where.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->