Shocked by doctor re: weaning

the coeliacs society believe that coeliacs disease is caused by giving gluten before six months; as there are many studies to back this up therefore advising on a product that contains WHEAT gluten as rusks do; that it is suitable from 4 months; is irresponsible and dangerous.

so why are they allowed too... cant be concrete..:shrug:

Jars say from 4 months because they want to sell them. End off.

i doubt that, wouldnt be allowed to now would they, in that case they may aswell say from birth!!!! seriously... :shrug:

What they are allowed to do and what they do are two different things. Everying to do with a baby makes money. Why do you think cow and gate sell baby wheat biscuits, 12 for £1.99 or you can get 24 wheetabix for £1.69 when they are exactly the same thing.

Stick baby in front of it and it sells and the earler you start buying the more money they make.

Yes but your original point insinuates that they can sell em even if dangerous... which they cannot!!!!!! im not disputing supermarkets like to make cash come on...

But they do, they sell baby food with gluten in even though if you do decide to wean at 4 months thats one of the things you nebout ed to avoid.

yes but things like that are totally diff to plain wnthseaning arnt they... we arnt talking about intolerance's par say ... although that will happen now, the point is they are not labeling from birth for a good reason.. danger! however 4 months is not..

I dont undertand what you mean by plain weaning?

sorry didnt word it v well, meaning the weaning / 4 month thing is the topic on jars, the gluton etc intolerance's can come later?

They can start later on in life yes but it has been researched that by giving gluten before 4 months you are more likly to develop things like IBS and celiacs yet companys still make porridge with gluten in it that says its suitable from 4 months.

I think the baby porridges from 4 months, well the one's I have looked at, are actually made from rice and corn, which aren't gluten. I guess they just use the term porridge as it is the colour and texture of it.

Also the jars/pouches that say suitable from 4 months are usually just the fruit and veg purees. The 'meals' like beef and veg say, usually say from 6 months. I remember standing in asda and looking at them all as I was so confused by it!!

xx

You missunderstood my post, i ment when you spoon feed you dont put the food that far back on their tounge that you put it behind where their gag reflex is.

The post i was responing too said you bypass their gag reflex by spoonfeeding so you missunderstood my post, i ment when you spoon feed you dont put the food that far back on their tounge that you put it behind where their gag reflex is.

ah ok understand you now :) my fault sorry! x

yes but things like that are totally diff to plain weaning arnt they... we arnt talking about intolerance's par say ... although that will happen now, the point is they are not labeling from birth for a good reason.. danger! however 4 months is not..

its not different at all, and infact at my infant care classes before Lo was born, labels on baby food is something we discussed. basically when the guideline got changed to 4 months companies had started to really get into selling baby food in jars, it became a big thing. when the guideline changed, the companies realized that they would take a loss in profit if they changed their labels which say "suitable from 4 months" to "suitable from 6 months" thats 2 months worth of food per baby they would loose out on money from. and because there is NO law saying that they HAVE to change their labels to keep upto date with the current guidelines they simply havent done it.

^ yes thats what i was saying as in it can come later etc, i personally think you wean when
you know there ready... i had so so many reasons.... it was lit a definite for us, as bottles every1.45 hrs at 4 months was just silly!!!

wow that sounds like my son, every 2hrs x 9oz stage 2 formula, we actually weaned him way earlier under gps/paeds recommendations. 1 level tsp of rice crispies (about 4 or 5) just before the bedtime bottle till he was ready for proper weaning at 4 mths

I waited until the 6 months, from baby's due date, as she was 11 days over. She now eats anything and everything, and has done from day 1, no gagging, no pureeing, no tongue thrust. She is a pleasure to feed. She is a very slight built baby so I was lucky enough that she could wait the 6 months. I know its not the same for every baby or mother. Everyone knows best themselves.

Jars say from 4 months because they want to sell them. End off.

i doubt that, wouldnt be allowed to now would they, in that case they may aswell say from birth!!!! seriously... :shrug:

What they are allowed to do and what they do are two different things. Everying to do with a baby makes money. Why do you think cow and gate sell baby wheat biscuits, 12 for £1.99 or you can get 24 wheetabix for £1.69 when they are exactly the same thing.

Stick baby in front of it and it sells and the earler you start buying the more money they make.

Yes but your original point insinuates that they can sell em even if dangerous... which they cannot!!!!!! im not disputing supermarkets like to make cash come on...

But they do, they sell baby food with gluten in even though if you do decide to wean at 4 months thats one of the things you nebout ed to avoid.

yes but things like that are totally diff to plain wnthseaning arnt they... we arnt talking about intolerance's par say ... although that will happen now, the point is they are not labeling from birth for a good reason.. danger! however 4 months is not..

I dont undertand what you mean by plain weaning?

sorry didnt word it v well, meaning the weaning / 4 month thing is the topic on jars, the gluton etc intolerance's can come later?

They can start later on in life yes but it has been researched that by giving gluten before 4 months you are more likly to develop things like IBS and celiacs yet companys still make porridge with gluten in it that says its suitable from 4 months.

I think the baby porridges from 4 months, well the one's I have looked at, are actually made from rice and corn, which aren't gluten. I guess they just use the term porridge as it is the colour and texture of it.

Also the jars/pouches that say suitable from 4 months are usually just the fruit and veg purees. The 'meals' like beef and veg say, usually say from 6 months. I remember standing in asda and looking at them all as I was so confused by it!!

xx

heinz do a baby porridge that contains gluten that states it is suitable from 4 months.

I totally agree with what your saying, im saying if it was PROVEN to be v v harmful they just wouldnt be allowed to put it... thats all?

I totally agree with what your saying, im saying if it was PROVEN to be v v harmful they just wouldnt be allowed to put it... thats all?

like i said...there is no law stopping them, so they will do it, to make a profit. they cant get sued for it because int he end your the one who chose to give it to your child and its not the companies fault you didnt know its harmful.

Some of these products even have warnings about gluten before six months on the packaging but it tends to be on the back and if there is a big bright 'badge' saying suitable from 4 months on the front, then the info at the back will end up not being noticed, they are 'allowed' because labelling laws for baby food are vague and not enforced anyway not because it is disputed that gluten prior to 6 months is potentially very dangerous.

How is the gag reflex bypassed if you spoon feed? Your not putting it right at the back of there mouths,

a babys gag reflex is actually at the front of their mouth and moves back when they are much older. but thats the wrong reflex to be talking about anyway.

its actually the tongue thrust reflex that is to do with feeding. its the reflex used when you touch your babys lips, and that reflex is how babys suckle from breast or bottle to get milk.

if you try to put solids in a babys mouth while it has this reflex it pushes the food out of their mouth. this is most commonly seen in TW babies.

this is a sign that your baby is NOT ready for weaning. the reflex fades when your babys body is ready for weaning, normally between 4 and 6 months of age and normally in the later part of that.

when you spoon feed you basically override the tongue thrust reflex by pushing something into their mouth when they arent ready for it.

I know how the tounge thrust reflex works but the PP said the gag reflex not the tounge thrust. You also cant overside something that has gone. Not every one who spoon feeds starts at 4 months.

Tongue thrust reflex and gag reflex are totally different things. Tongue thrust is there to push forein objects away from the mouth, the gag reflex is there to prevent pieces of food that are too large going into the throat and causing choking. In a baby the gag reflex is very near the front of the tongue and is very sensitive, by spoon feeding you go over this 'spot' and push the food towards the back of the mouth, hence you bypass the gag reflex. Also it is a defence mechanism, if it's not being used it deteriorates and isn't as effective in detecting food/objects that are too large for the gullet

Pepsbe tun[LEFT[/LEFT said:
iChic;11035272]

like i said...there is no law stopping them, so they will do it, to make a profit. they cant get sued for it because int he end your the one who chose to give it to your child ae nd its not the companies fault you didnt know its harmful.

but thats silly... thats could be turned into so many diff arguments.... about lack of understanding / couldnt give a shit type stuff labels should give correct info otherwise they are pointless... id like to see this for myself im afraid im not buying l ol... that wasnt meant as a joke :happydance:

How is the gag reflex bypassed if you spoon feed? Your not putting it right at the back of there mouths,

a babys gag reflex is actually at the front of their mouth and moves back when they are much older. but thats the wrong reflex to be talking about anyway.

its actually the tongue thrust reflex that is to do with feeding. its the reflex used when you touch your babys lips, and that reflex is how babys suckle from breast or bottle to get milk.

if you try to put solids in a babys mouth while it has this reflex it pushes the food out of their mouth. this is most commonly seen in TW babies.

this is a sign that your baby is NOT ready for weaning. the reflex fades when your babys body is ready for weaning, normally between 4 and 6 months of age and normally in the later part of that.

when you spoon feed you basically override the tongue thrust reflex by pushing something into their mouth when they arent ready for it.

I know how the tounge thrust reflex works but the PP said the gag reflex not the tounge thrust. You also cant overside something that has gone. Not every one who spoon feeds starts at 4 months.

Tongue thrust reflex and gag reflex are totally different things. Tongue thrust is there to push forein objects away from the mouth, the gag reflex is there to prevent pieces of food that are too large going into the throat and causing choking. In a baby the gag reflex is very near the front of the tongue and is very sensitive, by spoon feeding you go over this 'spot' and push the food towards the back of the mouth, hence you bypass the gag reflex. Also it is a defence mechanism, if it's not being used it deteriorates and isn't as effective in detecting food/objects that are too large for the gullet

I beg to differ, i spoon feed my LO and she deffinatly gags on lumps.

Every single weaning post turns into a debate :dohh: and it all ends the same old!
At the end of the day, regardless of recommendations, each mother is going to wean her baby when she thinks her baby is ready, whether it is 4 months or 7 months.
Some of you are just nit picking :shrug:

I beg to differ, i spoon feed my LO and she deffinatly gags on lumps.

She is probably moving some of the food towards the front of her mouth which is triggering the reflex, as I say it is very sensitive. I know my son did this when weaning, it was usually after this it would end up down his chin

Yeah, why debate it. I know lots of babies that are hungry at 4 months and their mums have introduced a bit of food. Others do it up to 6 months. You'll all do what feels right at the end of the day. The 4 month olds have come to no harm and neither have the 6 month olds!

These debates are just as ill-informed and biased as the same posters accuse their health-care professionals of being... seriously, ladies!:dohh:

Yeah, why debate it. I know lots of babies that are hungry at 4 months and their mums have introduced a bit of food. Others do it up to 6 months. You'll all do what feels right at the end of the day. The 4 month olds have come to no harm and neither have the 6 month olds!

I was weaned at 4 months and now I have Coeliac disease. I think I came to harm.

But this is why I love this forum. I would never have known about why the guidelines are at 6 months and probably would have just done what the doctor said instead of making the decision for myself. I heart babyandbump!

These debates are just as ill-informed and biased as the same posters accuse their health-care professionals of being... seriously, ladies!:dohh:

Lol for a second then i thought you said some posters on here think there health care proffesionals ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->