• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Should children be judged on their names? Debate on This Morning

I dont think lily or beatrix are chavy. To me they are classy timeless names

Well, as soon as anything starts with "katie hopkins says" its automatically crap!

That said, I do think you can tell a child's social background by their name. Not many Tarquins in the local comp. And you're unlikely to see a Kayden in a private school.

It then becomes a question of, should you judge a child by their social background and for me that's a big no. I will never tell Abby she can or can't be friends with someone, just because they live a different life to us. Of course if there starts to be bad influences I will steer her away, but those influences can come from any child from any background.

I will caveat all this with, I would never allow Abby to be friends with children if their mother is Katie Hopkins :haha:

should they: NO

are they? absolutely

i do think its a parents duty to choose a name that wouldnt result in a disadvantage.

my half brother is named Hawk,yes Hawk!:dohh:

i will say theyre are certain names more popular in certain groups in society which then lead to stereotypes.

I don't judge other people's kiddo names. It has meaning to them and to each their own. Weird what some people consider "chavvy", I would never in a million years considered "Tyler" or "Lily" to be chavvy? :wacko:

However, I do dislike certain names because of people I've known who have had the same. But its never the kiddo's fault and it isn't like they are going to turn out like the people I knew. :haha:

I don't judge kids on their names but I'll be honest and say I judge the parents a bit. Definitely not to the extent that I'd forbid my child from playing with someone, or that I wouldn't interact with the parents themselves. One of my best friends named her kid something that I would normally scratch my head at and be like "really?" but it has no affect on our relationship, that would be silly! I just question her name-choosing abilities. ;) :haha:

I think if people make judgments based on kids names then people are just to assume we are hippies when they hear my 3 :haha:

I had to watch this before I went to bed last night and I think the whole interview was summed up with this...

Katie 'arsehole' Hopkins: "I don't like geographical names"
Philip: "Your daughter is called India...."

:dohh:

That woman is a professional troll!

I could never judge a child by their name, or their parents either come to think of it. I always remember how difficult we found it to agree on a name for Jacob, as a couple. There are times I dislike names of course but that's different to judging a family by a name!

I wonder if people won't let their kids mix with mine now? :haha:

I would never, ever restrict my child from playing with a kid because of his/her name. That's so silly. And what's wrong with working class people? This woman is an idiot.

That said, a name does carry a lot of weight. The book "Outliers" discusses the phenomenon of those with traditional names tending to have more success than those with unusual names. It's unfortunate that it happens, but the reality is that people are judged by their names in childhood and adulthood.

All that considered, I love unusual names and would absolutely consider one if I had another child!

I would never stop my kids playing with other kids unless there was a real reason, their name isn't a real reason!

I think it's easy to take offence to a name without even realising it. If there was a child I went to school with that I didn't like I would probably stay away from naming my child that name. Just because I automatically feel less attachment for the name.

When I had Nathan my sister wasn't fond of the name because our old neighbours had a son called Nathan and he was a terror. Intact the whole family was chavy and she still associated the name with them. She has now completely changed her opinion and is now instantly drawn to people with the same name and often likes them faster.

This woman is just a moron though. She obviously says these things for the attention.

Every oliver i have taught has been really sweet, and usually never at centre of any trouble

Oh thank goodness haha.

The woman is a prat. I burst out laughing when Phillip was like, '..your child's called India?!' Thought Holly was going to slap her!

I know i watched yesterday, and then her insulting the name bella when hollys little girl is bell. Well done holly for telling her to shut up. She didnt seem to bright

I think if people make judgments based on kids names then people are just to assume we are hippies when they hear my 3 :haha:

I LOVE your childrens names:flower:

i wouldnt chose them purely cos of he way people are in this area,
but there beautiful :)

I think this woman is a fool, it's not the first time she come out with such drivel. She reminds me of Samantha Brick.

It's completely ridiculous to judge a child on their name. I would never stop LO from playing with a child just because of what their name is, I may not like certain names, and yes I may associate certain names with people I don't like/had bad experiences with thus not wanting to use any of those names with my own children (e.g. I liked the name Amelia but it reminded oh of a girl from school who he didn't like so we didn't use it) but that is no reason for me to turn around and decide she can't play with who someone.

What a horrible woman, imagine what her children are going to turn into with opinions like that.
I don't personally like tr name Mckenzie. I wouldn't name my child Mckenzie and I do associate it as a chavvy name. Would my child be allowed to play with Mckenzie, yes would I judge Mckenzie no of course not i would never judge no of course not. Ergh...

It's stupid.

Many U.S. school teachers somewhat do the same. They don't want to name their child , for example, kevin, after knowing too many "bad" kevins. Basically, I think they do judge their names because they do associate names with their behavior. Which kids may just sense that type of judgement and act out. I mean, most have a issue with kids named Ethan (seriously) but I think they are the ones who brought on the cycle (every kids named ethan comes to school are greeted with low expectations from teachers)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kayzee94
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->